Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

So I’ve explored a lot of Bald Eagle state forest and love camping there due to the private remote campsites...was wondering what some of the best places in the northeast are for a 3-4 day trip. Plan on spending at least 3 nights in a tent and have a pretty capable Tacoma. I love hiking and would like something that offers good trails for both driving and hiking.

Redbear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bayville, NJ
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Murdoch
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2TQO GMRS: WREQ743
Hi Cody, I’m new to overlanding and in the same boat as you. I have my taco and don’t know where to take it. I posted up yesterday asking for dispersed camping in NJ but I don’t think it exists.

Safe travels!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hey guys, There really isn't much in the northeast as far as 4x4 dispersed camping, until you get way up in Maine, which I am unfamiliar with. Even the central seaboard states leave a lot to be desired as we have visited the GW and Jefferson National forests and been disappointed. Something those guys on Mountain State Overland don't tell you is that they are oftentimes on private land. They get permission to be their as they are "filming" a movie, (if you will). Bald Eagle is just about it. I lead an annual 3 night tour there for folks from all over the northeast. Last year I had a couple of guys from upstate New Hampshire and my biggest concern was that they would be bored, these guys have been all over the world, and surely upstate NH, VT, and western Maine has more to offer than central Pennsylvania. My concerns were abated, as both of them exclaimed on several occasions, that there was nothing like this anywhere they had ever been in the east. My self inflicted mission though is to try to keep Bald Eagle as it is, in spite of it's continuing popularity with the Overlanding crowd. Even Overland Journal / Expedition Portal did a you tube vid with Main Line Overland using Bald Eagle as a backdrop. I have continuing conversations with the rangers at BESF and their primary concern is management of the resource. One thing for sure that will get you kicked out is by not abiding by the Leave No Trace ethics. Another of their pet peeves is groups larger than 10 vehicles. If you have more than 10, without an event permit, ( 2 or 3 hundred bucks ) you'll be kicked out. I recommended to them that 10 is too many, it should be reduced to 6, 7 max, as 6 or 7 is manageable. 10 is simply too many vehicles in one place at one time. Oh well,, hey, you guys all take care and keep having fun !!

we don't want this, (courtesy of hunters and shooters)
DSC02274.jpg

to happen to this. (fellow overlanders getting it right)
IMG_0617.jpg

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Thanks MOAK for the reply! It’s a shame there isn’t more to do on the entire east coast. As much as I love the views PA has to offer sometimes I just seek something different. Maybe growing up being in the woods here kind of has me used to the views. My time in the military in the southwest had so many things to see and do it was amazing. A friend of mine was just up in Maine to hike but he isn’t into off-roading so needless to say he doesn’t have any info on trails. Is there anything around Erie camping wise? Down in NM there was a big lake surrounded by sand and everyone used to come camp right on the lake it was awesome, something like that would be cool (I know down at the 4x4 beaches you can camp on the beach with permits but there isn’t much to do driving wise besides the beach).

To comment on that picture of what the hunters left behind at Bald Eagle that’s just disgusting. They do things like that and yet the gates get opened to them no matter what...shame

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Thanks MOAK for the reply! It’s a shame there isn’t more to do on the entire east coast. As much as I love the views PA has to offer sometimes I just seek something different. Maybe growing up being in the woods here kind of has me used to the views. My time in the military in the southwest had so many things to see and do it was amazing. A friend of mine was just up in Maine to hike but he isn’t into off-roading so needless to say he doesn’t have any info on trails. Is there anything around Erie camping wise? Down in NM there was a big lake surrounded by sand and everyone used to come camp right on the lake it was awesome, something like that would be cool (I know down at the 4x4 beaches you can camp on the beach with permits but there isn’t much to do driving wise besides the beach).

To comment on that picture of what the hunters left behind at Bald Eagle that’s just disgusting. They do things like that and yet the gates get opened to them no matter what...shame
Ah, you mentioned Beach Camping, Cape Lookout National Seashore is one place I’d like to go sometime, it’s supposed to be pretty remote. Gotta take a Ferry to get there. 4x4 access only. Just stay away during hurricane season and summer

Reactions: Cody_Gorsuch

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Ah, you mentioned Beach Camping, Cape Lookout National Seashore is one place I’d like to go sometime, it’s supposed to be pretty remote. Gotta take a Ferry to get there. 4x4 access only. Just stay away during hurricane season and summer
I was actually researching that while I was writing that previous post. Would love to make a trip there. The ferry price isn’t at bad as I thought, one company charges 85$ for round trip to take your vehicle. I think during the winter more is available to do there also.

Reactions: MOAK