Relatively easy camp bread or biscuit recipes?

• HTML tutorial

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I've tried basic bannock a few times and would probably be delighted to have it in an extended backpack or survival situation, but I'm looking for something a step up from pan fried cardboard bannock. You know, something with a little rise and fluffiness to it but doesn't need to be the best bread in the world. And I'm lazy so want to avoid recipes that require special equipment or a lot of cleanup cuz I'm camping and not at home in the kitchen, but don't mind pre-prepping some ingredients.

I've got a 3-day trip coming up soon with not a lot of activities planned so will have time to give a few different methods/recipes a try. Do you do a basecamp bread or biscuit you recommend?

I have a regular dutch oven (round lid, not flat for coals) and some cast iron frying pans I can bring.

Reactions: Road

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

If you do a search on YouTube for Australian Damper Bread you will find numerous videos on their style camp bread. Pretty simple ingredients and cooked on a fire. I have made it once and for first try wasn't bad.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Biscuits and cornbread is my go to. I pre-measure all ingredients at home, then basic assembly (the dries mixed with the wets) .

Sourdough biscuits are my next test, after reading (and re-reading) Richard Proenneke Alone in the Wilderness. With a healthy starter (flour, water, yeast) you can make just about any leavened bread by adding more flour and water, a bit of salt. Very minimal effort, minimal ingredients.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Attempt 1 last night: FAIL

Tried a standard bannock bread recipe. I know a lot of folks have slightly different ratios of the basic ingredients. i went with this:

2.5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup water

Pre-heated my dutch oven (regular dutch oven, not a camp dutch oven with the flat lid) over charcoal coals, added some oil and baked the bread for around 30 minutes. Mine isn't a 'camp' dutch oven with the flat lid but I was still able to easily put a half dozen coals on top to give it even heat.

When done it was still super dense and not particularly appetizing. That said, some butter or jam would have helped a lot. Turns out our baking powder expired in 2003 (yep, we don't bake much) so am hoping that had a lot to do with it. I'm getting some fresh baking powder and flour and will try again. My goal is to get a decent camp bread standard recipe that works for me, then I can experiment further with adding things like cinnamon and raisins or savory things like garlic or herbs to help it complement a meal. Getting the basic recipe down seems key though.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Yes, baking powder expires, andyour powder/flour ratio is slightly off. Add another 1/2 teaspoon of powder and you'll be there as far as recipe balance.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Thanks, I’ll try more baking powder next time!

Today’s attempt produced better results. Clearly the fresh baking powder make a big difference in that my bread almost double in size. This time I also sifted the dry ingredients together first, then added my oil and warm water.

It was definitely worthy of campsite fare by itself, but maybe just so-so bread if eating it with a salad for dinner at home. I think it will be great tomorrow morning with some honey or jelly with breakfast. I’m going to further experiment with varying the basic recipe, adding more baking soda as suggested and perhaps some powdered milk. Soon i’ll Try some additional sugar and cinnamon and raisins. It would be nice if my uncooked bread ball could sit overnight so that I can bake it fresh in the morning. Does anybody know if that will stay all right being mixed in the evening but not baked until the next morning?

I might have to break down and get a real camp dutch oven as the flat lid will help me get more heat on the top which is clearly needed and those little legs on the bottom of a proper camp dutch oven help get it closer to the coals. Mine probably would have benefited from a little more additional heat .

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Yes and maybe?

Dough that is leavened with yeast can proof 80% then be "put to sleep" overnight, then baked the next morning without issue. I use this method for pizza dough and sourdough loaves.

Yeast, a living thing eating and producing gas, that becomes dormant when temperature's become too low. Baking soda works more like a chemical reaction.

I've never tried it, curious what your results would be.