Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
I got a GoalZero rechargeable lantern - tiny, adjustable, and has USB outout to charge phone, etc.. Also got a Suunto compass, a set of Moab maps by Trails Illustrated, and a Petzl headlamp. Wanted a BUNCH more stuff, but need more research.

Dennis

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

We bought an Exped 10 Double mattress which is currently 25% off. At a regular
price of almost $400 this is quite a bit of saving. And all the friends we spoke with, who have tried other alternatives before they bought their Exped, said unisono that we should get "that one" and not another brand, even though it is the higher price tag.

The alternatives would have been a Sea To Summit and the REI brand matresses.

In a week we are on our way and I will know if it was a sound advice ...

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Yeah, I've been checking out there mailings. I've got a couple hundred bucks in dividend $. Thinking I may save it towards a new Garmin Overland unit.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Defective from the factory?
Yeah had a couple seams that didn't do so well on the the first decent rainstorm... little bit of water pooled along the edge of the floor. Local REI guys said that Tepui has maybe a 1 in 20 return rate for any reason (vs every other Yakima) so I'm guessing I'm the lucky one.

I'm thinking mine might have missed QC or something though... I was missing a few parts (window strut rods and bungees). Still, from what I've read this doesn't seem to be at all normal so I'm chalking it up as an exception for now.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

We bought an Exped 10 Double mattress which is currently 25% off. At a regular
price of almost $400 this is quite a bit of saving. And all the friends we spoke with, who have tried other alternatives before they bought their Exped, said unisono that we should get "that one" and not another brand, even though it is the higher price tag.

The alternatives would have been a Sea To Summit and the REI brand matresses.

In a week we are on our way and I will know if it was a sound advice ...
The MegaMat? It's outstanding. Just bought one a couple weeks ago and used it for the first time this weekend to supplement my RTT mattress and it's by far the best inflatable mattress I've ever slept on. It's unfortunate it went 25% off 3 days outside the sale refund period but I have no regrets even at full price.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

The MegaMat? It's outstanding. Just bought one a couple weeks ago and used it for the first time this weekend to supplement my RTT mattress and it's by far the best inflatable mattress I've ever slept on. It's unfortunate it went 25% off 3 days outside the sale refund period but I have no regrets even at full price.
Yes, the MegaMat. It is currently "laying around" for the initial inflation :-)

Everyone I spoke with had the same positive reaction as you, so I am looking forward to using it ...

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered one of REI's own brand rain shell jackets for 1/3 off.

Kye_In_The_Sky

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Kyron
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0WFT
We picked up 2 Camp dream mattresses for the wife and I, they were discounted down to $118. And also one of their self inflatable insulated pads for my daughter. It was a good sale for sure.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@velogeek
If you bought it on a credit card call the CC company and see if your card does price protection. I know that many these days do so it's worth the call for ~$100.

Boort

Reactions: LostWoods

SoCalGX

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Picked up a Kuat NV 2.0 Base bike rack and a Jet-boil stove earlier this week. The stove is 25% off and I saved around $120 on the rack with their coupon.

I’m also eyeing a few of their packs and sleeping bags for a potential backpacking trip in September, but might hold off.

It’s tough to resist all those deals on shiny new toys! [emoji38]

Reactions: jimbofoxman

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Still undecided.............was probably going to get a Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3 but then I saw the Overland Pro's Anza 1400 on here. Now I don't know what to do! :confounded:

I like to total open end concept of the Anza and the minimal spring rods setup they have, but especially the open end design. Being that Michigan is hot and icky in the summer that might come in handy. The spring rod part isn't that big of a deal to me as mine would be mounted on a 10" rack or less. And I'm 6'3" with ape arms so putting them in should be easy. But I really do like the open end concept of the Anza.

But the REI dividend, $100 gift on their new credit card, plus 5% back on their credit card and no shipping is making it tough.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Not so much overland related, but my wife picked up a sweet step through bike. Mint green and all. On sale, we used our dividend, got a hell of a price out the door.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

@velogeek

If you bought it on a credit card call the CC company and see if your card does price protection. I know that many these days do so it's worth the call for ~$100.

Boort
Good call actually... AMEX is usually really good about that so that's probably worth a shot.

Reactions: Boort

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Still undecided.............was probably going to get a Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3 but then I saw the Overland Pro's Anza 1400 on here. Now I don't know what to do! :confounded:

I like to total open end concept of the Anza and the minimal spring rods setup they have, but especially the open end design. Being that Michigan is hot and icky in the summer that might come in handy. The spring rod part isn't that big of a deal to me as mine would be mounted on a 10" rack or less. And I'm 6'3" with ape arms so putting them in should be easy. But I really do like the open end concept of the Anza.

But the REI dividend, $100 gift on their new credit card, plus 5% back on their credit card and no shipping is making it tough.
IMO aside from a few outliers, they're all made in China an all brands have issues from time to time (some very much more than others). With my limited interaction with Tepui, their customer service is top notch and quick to respond so I'm pretty much sold on them and CVT who I understand has equally awesome support. Adding on that they're available from REI with an effective 25% off using their card (and physical presence makes returns super easy if required), it was a no brainer for me.

Looking at the open end design, I like the concept but the lack of side windows means you're only getting airflow on a single axis with them zipped up in the rain.

Also spring rods are far more easy to use than videos let on... my 120lb fiancee can do them without issue and they're well above her head.

Reactions: jimbofoxman