Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Irwin, PA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Schmitt
Member #

So, our rig is a 2 door Jeep Wrangler and space comes at a premium. While I've used the REI Flexlite Chairs in the past, I didn't want to drop $160 ($80/chair) on a couple camp chairs. My wife and I were shopping in Sam's Club and came upon these. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/light-weight-chair/prod20602415.ip?xid=plp:product:1:3 . They are their "lightweight camp chair." At only $25/chair I figured why not. I couldn't find any reviews online and can only assume they are a new product for them. So far we've only tested them a little, but they're holding up very well. At this price point it is hard to argue with the value. The only problem is that they only come in blue...

Reactions: Obi-Juan and Steve

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
The link you posted didn't work but it was easy to find. I'd say that you shouldn't have any issues with those chairs as they are based on the Helinox design (I think).

The original ones are the "old design" and they had the chair frame shaped so it's main support ran perpendicular to your butt. The ones you posted run parallel and allegedly that really helps with the stability as the old ones tend to fall forward.

For that price you could buy 4 of them, use less room than a traditional camp chair, have two spares, and still be way cheaper than the name brand one. That's a no brainer.

For those without a Sam's club nearby you can get the old style ones for a similar price on amazon.ca and I'm sure there's even more variety on amazon USA.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Overland Couple

Phase2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Berkley, MI
Member #

I bought a Helinox recently and it's very nice, but expensive. Looking around on Amazon, I found a cheaper alternative and bought three more and they're just as nice - and only $33.99. Here's the link to them:
They pack up really small and are comfortable as well. There are other versions out there, but I think the design of these is the most stable one.

Superduty

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The link in the original post doesn't work.....and the video in post 3 doesn't work.

I'd like to see what chairs we are talking about. How about a model number? Or a unique word to search.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
So, our rig is a 2 door Jeep Wrangler and space comes at a premium. While I've used the REI Flexlite Chairs in the past, I didn't want to drop $160 ($80/chair) on a couple camp chairs. My wife and I were shopping in Sam's Club and came upon these. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/light-weight-chair/prod20602415.ip?xid=plp:product:1:3 . They are their "lightweight camp chair." At only $25/chair I figured why not. I couldn't find any reviews online and can only assume they are a new product for them. So far we've only tested them a little, but they're holding up very well. At this price point it is hard to argue with the value. The only problem is that they only come in blue...
Damn! Now it looks like i'll have to break down and cough up the dough for a SAMS Club Card after all! LOL

These are exactly the type that I've been looking for, but these specific ones are only sold at SAMS club exclusively. Just 2.4lbs with a dual support cross/axle.. nice!!

0084409306089_B.jpeg

Phase2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Berkley, MI
Member #

The link in the original post doesn't work.....and the video in post 3 doesn't work.

I'd like to see what chairs we are talking about. How about a model number? Or a unique word to search.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Search for the Moon Lence Ultralight on Amazon and you'll find the one I tried to link to.

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

how small are these chairs when they're all packed up? I'm curious because we just use the standard Sports Authority $9.99 special. They work great, but are a bit bulky. Just curious-

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
IMG_5105.JPG IMG_5104.JPG IMG_5106.JPG IMG_5107.JPG IMG_5108.JPG
Did a little research (ok, maybe a lot! LOL), and found the same exact chair online for $39.99 with no Sam's Club membership required. :)

https://north40.com/outdoor/camping/portal-lightweight-chair

***UPDATE***

So I ended up ordering a couple of the Portal (Costco) chairs from North 40 Outfitters via the web link above. They just arrived at my doorstep today, and I have to say I am extremely pleased with my purchase. The build quality is solid, packs down to just 13.5", and at just 2.3lbs each with a rated weight capacity of 250 pounds at just $39.99 is outstanding. I have tried and own several different styles of camp and backpacking chairs, but in the ultralight category these Portal chairs are my new favorite and I will be ordering a few more next chance I get. The lighting in my home is a bit crappy at night, but I snapped a few pics. Just in case anyone is interested in taking a gander.

Last edited:

Superduty

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Has anyone seen the Sam's Club chair at a so cal Sams club?

Found it as 846979 at Sam's.

It shows online only and out of stock.

Has anyone seen these in store?

Last edited:

CCH185

Rank 0

Contributor I

I had an REI Flexlite and returned it. Kept looking for something else, and ended up with a Sam's Club version. Initial impression is that the Sam's Club is actually more sturdy -- it certainly seems to support my 200 lbs. better. It also has larger caps on the feet, a major drawback with the REI I had as it really dug into soft soil easily and could tip as a result. The Sam's Club has not seen field use yet, so the verdict is not in. It still doesn't address my main issue with lightweight chairs as to height. I have back issues and getting out of these low chairs can be a literal pain. To muddy the waters, REI came out with the Flexlite Macro which is quite a bit taller. It is also about to be 25% off, so I may be giving that a whirl as well and keep the Sam's Club for guests. I love the director style chairs I take in a camper, but they are just very bulky in the back of my Jeep.

Reactions: Obi-Juan

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Couple years ago I bought a copy of Helinox backpacking chair for $24 on Chinese online store. And I saw this on my local Walmart with metal frame instead of aluminum for $15.
I don't why the picture become sideways.
20170509_203335.jpg

Sent from my LG-K330 using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited: