Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Good maintenance and regular checks of our vehicles are essential. We know that. Michael has made a good video about this, which you can find on Youtube. You know it for sure.

There are also places in the vehicle that are difficult to see or reach. Also the hidden corners should be checked regularly. Beginning defects can stay unnoticed.

I took the fridge out of the rig last week to clean it completely, including the outside from all sides. And then I noticed that the fridge has rubbed in two places of the interior. But actually on the - not visible - backside. No big deal, but at some point the damaged areas of the outside of the fridge would certainly have become larger. I have now covered one screw and added a guard made of insulation material. All good again.

So really check all corners of your rig regularly and prevent unnecessary defects at an early stage!

Have you had similar experiences? I look forward to sharing experiences. So we can learn from each other!

Safe travels!
Björn

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Absolutely ! Even the slightest rattle must be tracked down and fixed. I’m a big user of the clear reinforced rubber tubing anywhere wiring passes through or even near any solid objects. I also use a lot of 1/4” dimpled rubber sheeting under and along side of things.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks. Yes, that's a good advise, because cables and hoses in particular need to be well protected. I use (heat-resistant) cable conduit for cables and also provide pneumatic lines (compressed air system, locker) with protective hoses at critical places, for example. Also these special spacers work well when two hoses are running near to each other. If you haven't seen it yourself, you won't believe what can be destroyed by vibrations on corregated and bumby gravel roads.

Reactions: Chris and MOAK

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
A critical point you mention here. It's part of being responsible. Not only for your own sake but as well for the safety of others.
It is always a good idea to have a routine. Try to find a regular period to check your rig, including all the gear you are running.

Thanks for the thoughts, Bjoern

Reactions: MOAK

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Absolutely ! Even the slightest rattle must be tracked down and fixed. I’m a big user of the clear reinforced rubber tubing anywhere wiring passes through or even near any solid objects. I also use a lot of 1/4” dimpled rubber sheeting under and along side of things.
That is an absolute genius idea. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Chris and MOAK