Enthusiast III

Leuven, België
First Name
Ruud
Last Name
Boydens
Member #

Hello,

Is it possible to obtain a refund for my subscription? Apparently the regular fee does not allow you to benefit of all OB advantages.
We had a whatsapp group in Europe connecting all members but all of the sudden this wasn't the official group anymore and our representative is not allowing/inviting everyone to the new one. More then half of the members in the old "non-official" group, including me, had no clue that there was an official Whatsapp group until someone leaked it to us.
Seems like my money wasn't good enough to join OB. It seems more then reasonable then to get it back no?

just my two cents...

Hoping to get some feedback from the brass here.

Sincerely,

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Just to clarify the WhatsApp group is never part of the OB membership package and was started at my suggestion for Mid and West Europe as a way to encourage community. I created West Europe and Angus as an appointed Mid Europe Rep started the Mid Europe Group.
As Angus resigned as a Mid Europe Rep I requested that I or another OB Rep be appointed as an admin as the group uses the Overland Bound Name.
No ulterior motives and no intention to change the group, or remove members.

the response was to change the name with no discussion. The name change was made by the group admins not OB.

And just to clarify members can be affiliated with as many groups and clubs as they wish, here in West Europe we encourage it and create joint rally points and meet ups.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Just to clarify the WhatsApp group is never part of the OB membership package and was started at my suggestion for Mid and West Europe as a way to encourage community. I created West Europe and Angus as an appointed Mid Europe Rep started the Mid Europe Group.
Sorry Dave, just to clarify : it looks like you're saying i started the Mid Europe group at your suggestion and, just to clarify i started this group without discussing this with you, nor you telling me anything. Second mistake here, i started this without being a member rep, it was way before. Just to clarify.

Reactions: MarkD

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Damn within 40 minutes all reactions
Curious about the reasons 2 start another WhatsApp group looks to me that instead of trying to join all members the opposite is accomplished
The issue was I asked Mark one of the admins to be an admin and not Robert as some seem to be suggesting. It could also have been any other OB Director or Rep as I stated but the response was to change the name rather than accept an OB appointment.
This was disappointing and it happened with no discussion on how it could bring additional support to the members.

AdventurousRover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leuven, België
First Name
Ruud
Last Name
Boydens
Member #

Well thank you all for your swift responses but I do have some remarks...

Everybody will be invited there if he pm Dave Spinks, Toon Dams or me.
You can not pm someone about something you're not aware of. If it wasn't leaked by someone who thought of it being unfair towards the rest then we wouldn't have known it existed. So I think it is safe to say that the "commoners" in Europe are responsible for bringing in the bucks while an elite subset can take advantage of a real OB community.

As Angus resigned as a Mid Europe Rep I requested that I or another OB Rep be appointed as an admin as the group uses the Overland Bound Name.
No ulterior motives and no intention to change the group, or remove members.

the response was to change the name with no discussion. The name change was made by the group admins not OB.

And just to clarify members can be affiliated with as many groups and clubs as they wish, here in West Europe we encourage it and create joint rally points and meet ups.
Then why the creation of a second and a third whatsapp group if they are not part of OB? Why did you chase after admin rights if you are not interested in the channel.
Everyone knows that the Mid European community lives within the original whatsapp group. They are far less active on this forum since everything except our little subset is almost only US oriented.

The issue was I asked Mark one of the admins to be an admin and not Robert as some seem to be suggesting. It could also have been any other OB Director or Rep as I stated but the response was to change the name rather than accept an OB appointment.
This was disappointing and it happened with no discussion on how it could bring additional support to the members.
I think you pinpoint the rootcause in this post as well since a couple of months ago Director's and Rep's abandoned the whole whatsapp group "because of reasons".

Overland Bound has and remains neglecting the European continent and all of the sudden they want control back. But instead of reaching out to everyone who firmly identifies themselves with OB's ideology and thus pledged a certain amount of euro's, OB is just continuing with a select group of friends that exclude the rest.
And I agree with Alex here as well. We don't here a thing for ages and all of the sudden I manage to get responses within 40 minutes.

I therefore think it is not that absurd to go for a refund?

Last edited: