Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

As I am working through the downsizing of my gear and re-thinking things, I have changed the stove I use from the larger Coleman 425 to a slimmer Colman that uses the green tanks. I love my 425, but it is large and has limitations. But you can't beat the smell, memories.
Anyway, my new stove uses the smaller green tanks we all love to hate. However I just don't have the space for the popular 5 or 11lb tank that seems to be an Overlanding badge of honor.
My recent trip to Walmart shocked me that the green tanks are $9 and in a locked glass case like jewelry!!!! SO, due to space issues and the cost of those silly tanks, I have been thinking I should just refill them. I can stash 5 1lb tanks in small spaces, the 5lb or 11b is one big tank with extra stuff (metal brackets, valve) making it take up a lot more space.
Don't bother with all the "Its not safe, etc." I have read it all and I am willing to assume the risk.
My question is, does anyone else here refill them and how has it been working for you?

Reactions: 19mystic96

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’ve done it. At room temp you’re lucky to get a half pound in them. Refrigerating them for an hour does marginally better. My best luck has been to put the empties in the freezer for an hour, then fill them. I’ve gotten about .8 pounds consistently that way.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I have refilled them quite a bit. Tahoe's method works well.

I don't know what stove I have now. It was a gift. It's a Coleman 2-burner propane model.

Another option is to use a larger tank and a hose. I have an 11 lb tank on the back and a 12' hose that lets me run the stove, the Mr. Heater Buddy, the Zodi shower, etc.

IMG_5700.JPEG

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Don't bother with all the "Its not safe, etc." I have read it all and I am willing to assume the risk.
My question is, does anyone else here refill them and how has it been working for you?
Have you looked into the Refillable 1 LB tanks?
The ones that I was considering are (1lb Refillable LP Cylinder, 16.4oz., Green Model #: FLMKNG164LP - Flame King) but then they got hit with a recall (1 LB Recall Notice - Flame King) and have been hard to find or 4x the cost since.
Like you I can pocket 3-4 of these 1 lb around the rig but a 5lb can would be in the way. I can't say that I've refilled them as I bought a bunch on sale a few years ago for ~$3 each and have been going through those.

Anyone out there know of another refillable DOT approved option?

Boort

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Yep, that's all we do. +1 more on cold 1 lb. tanks; we put the 1 lb. tanks in the chest freezer overnight before we fill them.

Reactions: HaVeeBear

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Sports Basement has 1lb tanks you can buy and when done, return it for a full one for free. You have to use their tanks and make sure to keep the plastic lid thing.

Reactions: Boort

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I may have to buy some of the Flame King ones, but as stated, a bit hard to find and not cheap. For now I have 5 new ones and an adapter to fill. I will see how that goes and keep my eyes open for the Flame King one to be back on Amazon or some other reputable retailer.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I may have to buy some of the Flame King ones, but as stated, a bit hard to find and not cheap. For now I have 5 new ones and an adapter to fill. I will see how that goes and keep my eyes open for the Flame King one to be back on Amazon or some other reputable retailer.
@oldmopars
That is basically my plan. I think I still have 6-7 new ones and a few that have been used, but not used up in the shed. Hopefully Flame King will get caught up and they will be generally available again soon.

Boort

Reactions: Desert Runner

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I picked up the Flame King refillable set and it works really well. When I purchased the kit there were a number of spare bottles on the shelf. Once I realized I liked it and wanted some additional tanks they were nowhere to be found-so now I wait for the resupply to show up. I prefer the DOT approved tanks as they are designed and engineered to be refilled and transported, a couple extra bucks is well worth the risk reduction in my book.

The tank that came in my kit was not affected by the recall however I expect that all the tanks being produced are going to replacements under the recall. I have an order in with Menard's which has just been "in process" since June 14th.

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I picked up the Flame King refillable set and it works really well. … I prefer the DOT approved tanks as they are designed and engineered to be refilled and transported, a couple extra bucks is well worth the risk reduction in my book.
Plus, all the little green bottles I purchase note a federal crime for transporting if refilled…

C55DBDA6-3DDA-4BFA-A7DC-9C138A9CA49D.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: grubworm

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Plus, all the little green bottles I purchase note a federal crime for transporting if refilled…

View attachment 238224
Yes, it is illegal, no arguing that. I also understand the safety concerns. It does make me wonder, how would anyone even know if it has been refilled? There is no outward signs that it has been refilled, I can have 2 cans next to each other, one refilled and one new/used, there would be no way to tell. So, unless someone watched you fill one, then watched you put it in your car, and saw you drive away with it, how would anyone know? Then, what evidence would be used to convict you? Without a video, how could it even be proved?
I am not saying this to encourage anyone to break the law. I just have to wonder about the law and how to possibly enforce it. The age of a tank does not mean anything either, I have old tanks still full, and new tanks that are full. Neither are refilled, both new.
Again, I am not advocating the breaking of the law or doing anything unsafe, please don't do it. Just thinking that this would be a really hard law to enforce.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Yes, it is illegal, no arguing that. I also understand the safety concerns. It does make me wonder, how would anyone even know if it has been refilled? There is no outward signs that it has been refilled, I can have 2 cans next to each other, one refilled and one new/used, there would be no way to tell. So, unless someone watched you fill one, then watched you put it in your car, and saw you drive away with it, how would anyone know? Then, what evidence would be used to convict you? Without a video, how could it even be proved?
I am not saying this to encourage anyone to break the law. I just have to wonder about the law and how to possibly enforce it. The age of a tank does not mean anything either, I have old tanks still full, and new tanks that are full. Neither are refilled, both new.
Again, I am not advocating the breaking of the law or doing anything unsafe, please don't do it. Just thinking that this would be a really hard law to enforce.
Golly, a law that’s not effective. What’ll they think of next!!

• Haha

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

@oldmopars
That is basically my plan. I think I still have 6-7 new ones and a few that have been used, but not used up in the shed. Hopefully Flame King will get caught up and they will be generally available again soon.

Boort
It seems they are available again, at about twice the previous price. Given the limited supply, can’t say I’m surprised.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

It seems they are available again, at about twice the previous price. Given the limited supply, can’t say I’m surprised.
Yeah I figure they have their hands full just trying to resolve the recall. I have a camelcamelcamel watch for the price to return to reasonable. I also check in my local Lowes/BORG from time to time when I have to go there for other reasons. So far neither have restocked on the them.

They have started some events where they give out a free refillable bottle in exchange for an single use empty and pledge to not buy single use anymore. Unfortunately for us the events so far are just in CA.
Looks like some of our members living in Long beach, San Diego area or Santa Cruz County CA might be in luck.

Boort

• Wow
Reactions: Tundracamper