Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Collinsville, Illinois, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
W
Member #

Looking for ways to cut back on the bug bites, specifically mosquito bites. Been using a thermocell and good old Off, with pretty good success but looking for something for the tent/evening. Has anyone tried the portable bug zappers or any other method to avoid bites in the night? Looking into products like this: . Interested in thoughts and opinions, cheers.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

There is no link or picture of anything in your post
If you're using something like UBlock or similar it will strip the links from the post. I am using the Brave browser and I had to disable cross-site trackers in order for the link to be viewable and accessible.

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
Looking for ways to cut back on the bug bites, specifically mosquito bites. Been using a thermocell and good old Off, with pretty good success but looking for something for the tent/evening. Has anyone tried the portable bug zappers or any other method to avoid bites in the night? Looking into products like this: . Interested in thoughts and opinions, cheers.
I have that exact portable bug zapper. It doesn't decrease the bites any but it may overall decrease the amount of bugs in the area. Sure I'll see 6-10 in there the next morning, but I still have just as many bites on my body.

TacoDia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Collinsville, Illinois, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
W
Member #

I have that exact portable bug zapper. It doesn't decrease the bites any but it may overall decrease the amount of bugs in the area. Sure I'll see 6-10 in there the next morning, but I still have just as many bites on my body.
I figured it wouldn't be perfect. Just something that can be used in the tent for 30 mins or so before actually falling asleep. I rarely get bit overnight but that is because the wife's blood is sweeter than mine.

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

I've never seen one of those but it looks like it has decent ratings. Interesting.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yup I bought like 3 of them to put around our camp site and one for the tent. No one has ever gotten bit by any bugs, either it works or maybe there were no biting bugs at the places we camped? I also got a bug zapper thingy from Walmart, which uses filters and a small propane like tube. Haven't used that yet, but have it just in case.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Thermocell works although only get a small area and the consumable pads last about 3 hours each.

You could also fog your campsite with this Cutter spray. I sometimes fog my deck before a get-together and it works well, but only for that evening. I bring a can on camping trips in case things get really bad.

577D50F9-32A6-41A2-9A40-4297966EA4AA.jpeg

Reactions: RoarinRow