Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Normally when I go tent shopping, I head to Wal-Mart and pick up an Ozark Trails Tent. They get the job done. They are cheap. If maintained properly, they can last a long time.
However Wal-Mar tents also have some serious downsides:
  1. They can be a pain to set up
  2. They are constructed of light material that is only good for the heat of the summer
  3. And did I say they are a pain to set up.
So I set off a couple of years back looking for the perfect tent. It had to be a 4 season tent, or at least a 3 season. It needed to be tall enough for me a 6’1” skinny guy to stand up in comfortably. Set up and tear down easily by my self. And lastly needed to be able to hold my whole family if they all decided to come on a trip with me (this includes the dog).
I looked at all sorts of tents. Cabela’s outfitter and guid series tents, Kelty base camp tents, Sea to Summit, Coleman, you name it I looked at it in person and just didn’t ever get the vibe that this is the one tent that will do it all.
Then I found the Gazelle T4 model. I was in love. It had all the features I was looking for and more. Then out came the T4 Plus... wow same tent plus a screen room. My last Ozark Trail tent has a huge screen room that I set up in the spring time as
my kitchen, so huge bonus. When I finally was able to pull the trigger on the T4 Plus’s (lots of saving and stashing my monies) all the Gazelle tents were out of stock everywhere. So I shot off an email to @Corrie and @Michael asking what was going on. Summed up conversation was that due to COVID the importing was taking longer than normal. I was also told that the T4 and T4 Plus were getting a complete overhaul for the Summer 2020 season. I was given a little bit of a hype talk about how “cool” this new tent would be and it would be best to wait for it to hit the US Market.
So I put my order in and impatiently waited 3 months for my tent to arrive. (Sorry for nagging so much @Corrie)
Today the Brown Truck stopped by and dropped off a huge box. :D
5071F55A-BD87-4613-ABC4-FDCB0166E3F9.jpeg
My wife Kallie was just as excited about the new tent as I was and immediately grabbed my box cutter and made short work of opening the long box.
882D4467-263E-49D9-A7D2-32F797ABA2BE.jpeg
What’s this!!!??? A box inside a box???

BBD33D4A-0AB3-4A4F-9348-82A255E4C9FC.jpeg

In a matter of seconds @KRose got to the goods

06C07DE2-6EB3-4A19-813C-4EDA5224A1F8.jpeg
I’m going to stop right here. The first thing I noticed was the Velcro straps in the middle of the bag. They are sewn on with reinforced seams, 1 1/2” wide nylon webbing, placed in such a way to support the weight of the tent inside the bag to help take the stress off the lifting handles.
Second thing I noticed was the padding in the center Lifting Handle. Normally in a tent bag this handle is just a piece of canvas or nylon sewn o to one of the nylon straps and Velcros the second strap to the first. Not so on the Gazelle T4 Plus bag. It’s an oversized Velcro Handel that has thick foam padding, eliminating the handle from cutting into your hands as you are lifting and carrying the tent from point a to point b.
Next is the end lifting straps, again great detail went into the thought of these nylon straps. The nylon seams to be wrapped very tightly to form a solid tube that is both securely sewn onto the bag, and offers great comfort lifting from the ends. While one person can easily lift and carry the tent, two people carrying the tent by the front and back straps makes maneuvering down a tight trail almost effortless.
Enough about the handles, onto the Zipper.
The Oversized KYZ zipper is one of the smoothest zippers I have ever used. With a little bit of Bees Wax, I am sure this zipper is going to last a long time. Again Gazelle spent some extra time on the sewing and I don’t see the zipper coming unstitched over the lifetime of the tent.
The Bag itself is very heavy duty constriction compared to other tents I have looked at. Gazelle chose a great fabric to construct the protective bag. Normally I get 2 military canvas duffel bags and remove the bottom of one the. Sew the two together to make one long tube to stuff my tent and poles into. No need with this tent as it’s canvas bag is better quality than the military duffel.

Now onto the Tent.
Notice the cinch straps holding the tent
5671A7F7-7675-48B8-8C85-580E1257AFED.jpeg

B3A65C91-F89D-42E0-ADF5-97B7E3701EE1.jpeg
Setup was a little longer than 90 seconds, but Kallie and I were taking our time to enjoy the breeze of setting up and fully take in the finer details. 47E77D03-ACF9-4B75-8D73-81730C73DFF8.jpeg

The first thing that stuck out to me was the generous oversized staking holes. (Sorry no pictures) the webbing was very wide (probably 2” or so” with reenforced metal grommets.
The side guy straps and pop out mechanisms are very heavy duty and adjustable.
3E53D527-67E4-420B-9FEF-796B00FC32EC.jpeg

Look at all that gear storage

6E39DF25-DFAD-4B7E-A7BF-406A9D987A88.jpeg
7DE235EA-3528-4820-AFBD-53AD1F1B620B.jpeg
07D6E8ED-433F-401C-A0F3-346E365D9157.jpeg

The floor is a removable Bathtub design. The main T4 sleeping area has its own tub as well as the screen room addition. The floor is very heavy duty and I don’t think a cot would puncture it very easily.
87528339-AE8E-4B54-ABE5-2BE32F96ED4E.jpeg

Packing it all up for the first time was kind of a challenge, but after looking at the instructions it became clear on how to properly fold the tent up and slide it into the bag.
Just for fun I threw the tent up onto the roof of Kallie’s 4Runner to see how easy it would be to secure to the stock roof rack and to see if I needed to go to the hardware store to pick up Some kind of mount. We drove all over town with just two bungee cords holding it to the top and the tent didn’t move an inch.
F9196C03-E51C-4152-87AE-C5BE835A82C1.jpeg
AB31B56D-4BF5-47D7-A185-FC1B66A517C5.jpeg

Over all first impressions are rock solid.
A few things we didn’t like and are going to be fixing before we use it... first The stakes. They are cheap aluminum and I wouldn’t trust them even with a light backpacking tent. And while not nessisarally an issue, we want to add a couple of tie down straps with buckles to the carry bag to make a simple solution for strapping down to our roof racks.

Anybody thinking about the T4 Plus or The T8, you can’t go wrong. Personally we chose the T4 Plus over the T8 because the new redesigned screen room Offers the Same security from the elements that the T8 does, but with simple unzipping of the windows and rolling them up you have a open room to enjoy the shade and let the breeze through.
194C4CC8-70C6-4ECD-B77A-2133F0D9149D.jpeg

TO BE CONTINUED!

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Awesome! I just ordered my T4 from the OverlandBound Store and it shipped last night, arriving on Friday this week. Really excited to get it. We already have an REI Kingodm 8 tent for the 2+ day basecamp type trips and i have a quick 2 person backpacking tent but needed an in between for the wife and 2 young kids on the quick 1 night stop type trips.

Any idea what changed on the new 2020 version over the old?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Awesome! I just ordered my T4 from the OverlandBound Store and it shipped last night, arriving on Friday this week. Really excited to get it. We already have an REI Kingodm 8 tent for the 2+ day basecamp type trips and i have a quick 2 person backpacking tent but needed an in between for the wife and 2 young kids on the quick 1 night stop type trips.

Any idea what changed on the new 2020 version over the old?
You will love the new tent. Did you get the Overland Edition or the standard T-4? The standard T4 only got a color change with an optional Alpine Green. The T4 Plus Overland Edition has upgraded tent stakes, a ground tarp, new materials, and a lot of new features visit Pop-Up Camping Hub Tents and Portable Gazebos - Gazelle Pop Up Tents for Camping for more information.

• Haha
Reactions: Boppa's Travels

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@M Rose I'd love to get an up close look at this tent. We're still in the market for a new tent, and If the t4 would work for us, I'd probably go that route. Let me know the next time you're planning on coming out to the Boise area, and we can work something out ;)

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@M Rose I'd love to get an up close look at this tent. We're still in the market for a new tent, and If the t4 would work for us, I'd probably go that route. Let me know the next time you're planning on coming out to the Boise area, and we can work something out ;)
I’ll let you know... it’s probably going to be toward the end of August.

Reactions: reaver

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Nice review. I think you're gonna like your new tent, Mike. I dig my T3. I'd have maybe done a T4, but they're just too big for me to haul except diagonally in the bed of my truck. Diagonal doesn't work for me, and the T3 is big enough for me/us and will fit both in my truck bed or laying across the floor in the back of the cab. One thing I might add to your mod list, is one of those quilted moving blankets (Harbor Freight has inexpensive units) for "carpeting" for your floor. It'll prevent sharper objects from doing any damage, but more importantly (for me, anyway), it cuts WAY down on the "noise" from moving around in the tent at night while others are sleeping.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Graeman

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
You will love the new tent. Did you get the Overland Edition or the standard T-4? The standard T4 only got a color change with an optional Alpine Green. The T4 Plus Overland Edition has upgraded tent stakes, a ground tarp, new materials, and a lot of new features visit Pop-Up Camping Hub Tents and Portable Gazebos - Gazelle Pop Up Tents for Camping for more information.
I ordered my overland edition from the OB store and it was sent to my retirement address which is 2 1/2 hrs away. It came so now I need to drive down there tomorrow and pick it up. It could be sent but why pay the shipping and wait some additional time before I get it.