Red Lady : Reloaded (Discovery 1 130 Solid Walled Camper)

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Ireland
For the last year I have been working away at our vehicle. Our Discovery, which we have been using to wild camp on beaches for the last few years was suffering from severe corrosion. So I decided to spend this following year reading forums, facebook groups and watch a billion hours of youtube videos to try and work out what to do for ourselves.

Over the last few years (Im 43) my arthritis has been getting worse, to the point its making climbing up into a roof tent very painful, but also properly embarrassing in the mornings when I try and get out and hide how sore it is going down the ladder. So I decided upon a camper unit, with solid walls.

Covid-19 has stopped work for the last few months as the garage is closed. They should be getting back to it very soon. So far the Disco has been chopped with the rear disposed. We fitted the Longranger 4x4 fibreglass single cab kit to turn it into a single cab. Shielder Chassis built us a brand new 3mm (HD) Defender 130 chassis for it. We never had them galvanise it. We then moved all the body mounts and engine mounts so they would suit the Discovery 1 body. We also grafted on a different nose to the chassis as there Discovery bumper's bolts are oriented differently to a Defender. We are just waiting on delivery of the aluminium to build the subframe and also to create lockers to provide extra storage outside. We will also be building a stainless steel water tank and fitting it between the chassis rails just behind the single cab. Space is so limited on this vehicle so we need to take up all the available space.

I have had a 3D model made up from Sketchup. The windows are not exactly what I will use, or the exact size, nor are the steps or bumper identical either. However, it gives a very good representation of what it will look like. The roof will lift up 950mm on linear actuators so that we can easily walk about in there, while keeping the roof height reasonable compared to a typical camper height. The bed will be a full UK King Sized mattress which will also be on actuators and be pushed up into the roof when we don't need to use the bed but have the camper open. It will lower down to countertop level when we want to use the bed.

Everything on this vehicle is diesel powered. It's a 300TDi engine which has a boost pin, boost ring and a Core2 Fourby Hybrid Turbo. I will be installing a Madman EM3 system for engine monitoring. We will be creating an install video of that on our youtube channel, as well as the build itself of course. The cooker is the Webasto X100 diesel cooker and the heating and the hot water is taken care of with the Truma Combi D6E system.

We are also fitting a full Pioneer incar entertainment system, both in the front, and also in the rear.

Here are some photos for you to have a look at. Let me know what you think.

edited on beach with red lady 1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg
98164683_568797874033808_2184528441007669248_n.jpg
84385088_1276977412503254_8654736577525710848_o.jpg
84698504_1272944969573165_3076055362646835200_o.jpg
my bfg cutout png.png

UFO-P38

Rank 0

Contributor I

Los Angeles
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

For the last year I have been working away at our vehicle. Our Discovery, which we have been using to wild camp on beaches for the last few years was suffering from severe corrosion. So I decided to spend this following year reading forums, facebook groups and watch a billion hours of youtube videos to try and work out what to do for ourselves.

Over the last few years (Im 43) my arthritis has been getting worse, to the point its making climbing up into a roof tent very painful, but also properly embarrassing in the mornings when I try and get out and hide how sore it is going down the ladder. So I decided upon a camper unit, with solid walls.

Covid-19 has stopped work for the last few months as the garage is closed. They should be getting back to it very soon. So far the Disco has been chopped with the rear disposed. We fitted the Longranger 4x4 fibreglass single cab kit to turn it into a single cab. Shielder Chassis built us a brand new 3mm (HD) Defender 130 chassis for it. We never had them galvanise it. We then moved all the body mounts and engine mounts so they would suit the Discovery 1 body. We also grafted on a different nose to the chassis as there Discovery bumper's bolts are oriented differently to a Defender. We are just waiting on delivery of the aluminium to build the subframe and also to create lockers to provide extra storage outside. We will also be building a stainless steel water tank and fitting it between the chassis rails just behind the single cab. Space is so limited on this vehicle so we need to take up all the available space.

I have had a 3D model made up from Sketchup. The windows are not exactly what I will use, or the exact size, nor are the steps or bumper identical either. However, it gives a very good representation of what it will look like. The roof will lift up 950mm on linear actuators so that we can easily walk about in there, while keeping the roof height reasonable compared to a typical camper height. The bed will be a full UK King Sized mattress which will also be on actuators and be pushed up into the roof when we don't need to use the bed but have the camper open. It will lower down to countertop level when we want to use the bed.

Everything on this vehicle is diesel powered. It's a 300TDi engine which has a boost pin, boost ring and a Core2 Fourby Hybrid Turbo. I will be installing a Madman EM3 system for engine monitoring. We will be creating an install video of that on our youtube channel, as well as the build itself of course. The cooker is the Webasto X100 diesel cooker and the heating and the hot water is taken care of with the Truma Combi D6E system.

We are also fitting a full Pioneer incar entertainment system, both in the front, and also in the rear.

Here are some photos for you to have a look at. Let me know what you think.

View attachment 156306
View attachment 156307
View attachment 156308
View attachment 156309
View attachment 156310
View attachment 156311
Well thought out I like it

Reactions: Donegal Overlanding

Enthusiast III

Ireland
Thanks. A few modifications will no doubt happen as the final parts are constructed, and no doubt as soon as I use it I'm going to be annoyed with various little things that I never considered, but that's all part of the process I guess.

shocwav3

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Clifton
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cicero
Member #

Very cool concept. Cant wait to see it come together

Enthusiast III

Ireland
A little teaser for you all. The cab has been in the bodyshop and vapour blasted and a huge amount of work perfecting every detail to make it beautiful. It will, of course, be the originalMonza Red supplied by 68 Line Glasurit paint, but in this teaser video you get to see it right up to the Glasurit CV filler white. Dont forget to sub, follow our facebook page as we post a huge amount on there.

Reactions: k9sar

Enthusiast III

Ireland
Some photos of where we are with the bodywork now.

Attachments

JimG92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

Hi Richard,
Haven't seen the old "Red Lady" since we met up in Donegal in 2018 (I was part of the Landie Road Trip group). The build is looking amazing mate - looking forward to seeing the finished motor - will be following the build with interest.
Oh, have you managed to get Gregg's to open up in Ireland yet? or found any Stornoway black pudding.

All the best
Jim

Enthusiast III

Ireland
Hi Jim! Nice to see you here. Did you see my post about the whisky you guys gave me? I've kept it sealed and I'm saving it for when we have our first trip out in the finished project as a celebration of where we came from and the "omg so looooong" journey to where it is now, and whenever it's finished. I've been posting loads in the facebook public page. I only post a bit on the private group about it as I don't want to spam it too much and annoy people. The chassis is being assembled now,. took these photos earlier today! for uplaod chassis with no springs.jpgfor upload engine.jpgfor upload.jpgfor uplaod chassis with no springs.jpgfor upload engine.jpgfor upload.jpgfor uplaod chassis with no springs.jpgfor upload engine.jpgfor upload.jpg

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Great bulit of a well thinked through concept! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: JimG92

JimG92

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edinburgh, UK
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Gilmour
Member #

Hi Jim! Nice to see you here. Did you see my post about the whisky you guys gave me? I've kept it sealed and I'm saving it for when we have our first trip out in the finished project as a celebration of where we came from and the "omg so looooong" journey to where it is now, and whenever it's finished. I've been posting loads in the facebook public page. I only post a bit on the private group about it as I don't want to spam it too much and annoy people. The chassis is being assembled now,. took these photos earlier today! View attachment 165932View attachment 165933View attachment 165934View attachment 165932View attachment 165933View attachment 165934View attachment 165932View attachment 165933View attachment 165934
Hi Richard,
I've been watching the build on FB - loving the look of the Red lady (those wheels and tyres look awesome). Bet you're looking forward to the first evening sitting by the campfire when you eventually crack that bottle of the "craitur" open for the first dram (all you'll need to accompany it will be a Gregg's steak-bake, a fudge doughnut and life will be perfect)!
Will keep watching with interest - hoping to get back over to Donegal at some point - what a great time we had there - met some amazing people and visited some beautiful places (thanks due to you for that).
Stay safe mate and keep up the good work!

Enthusiast III

Ireland
Those that have been following us closely will know that we have changed from the manual R380 gearbox to automatic. Being automatic means we cannot bump/push start the vehicle in the event of a flat battery or a broken starter. So we decided it would be a wise investment to replace both the alternator and the starter. We spoke with WOS Performance (WOSP). They use genuine OE Denso based platforms harnessing the latest and best technology in rotating electrics and retro-fit and re-engineer them to fit the 300TDi.
The starter is a 2.0Kw gear reduction platform which can be rotated 360° on its mounting plate to clear any obstruction. They also produce a fully submersible model at extra cost.
The Discovery normally has an alternator with 100Amps. This WOSP alternator is 175A, but there are options up to 400A available. Ours is using the latest generation Denso platform in a full CNC billet case to directly replace the OEM item. Not only is it far more powerful than the stock unit, it’s patented design offers up to 80% of its total output at average idle speeds which is generally when most of the electrical loads are placed on the battery.
Both units are quite simply built to be the best items available anywhere on the market, ideal for anyone who doesn’t want to be stranded far away from civilisation.
They are plug & play, fit and forget. They have over 1200 starters all based on the same principles along with hundreds of billet case alternator options.

WOSP dont sell to the public, but if you google the product codes you will find them sold in many p[laces, such as high end motorsport shops. Bearmach have started selling them too.front angled alternator.jpgin boxes.jpgstarter fron low angle full.jpgvery closeup of wosp in metal on alternator.jpgstarter rear full.jpgstarter label.jpgcloseup of label on alternator.jpg
front angled alternator.jpg

Reactions: k9sar and MazeVX