Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Will be coming from the Ft Worth area, (NE Tarrant County), if anyone wants to caravan down. Doug
Sweet. The more the merrier. Weather should be good.
Planning this now so we're all prepped. Bring your breakfast setup and we can all cook something for the group.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
FYI - Since the Avid Outdoor event is the same weekend, I suspect there will be fewer folks available for the Oct meet up. I will be at the meet up around 0800 and making grits for breakfast. (if you want to also make something for breakfast, that would be great)
So, bring your coffee!!

Adventures with Penny

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Eagle Mountain, Utah, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Peiser
Member #

Good evening Texas friends. Last week we lost Tigre, our big sausage pup with T-Rex arms and the wife car threw a rod through the bottom of the motor plus fried the computer at the same time. Well, things are a little better now. The wife bought a new 2024 Subaru Outback Wilderness Edition yesterday. This car is fricking sweet! If you've ever thought about a Subie all I have to say is, yes! The Wilderness comes with 3" higher attack and departure angles and sits about 1.7in higher than the standard models. Loving it so far! Two official pinstripes in the first 24 hours, hahaha
1696206338751.png1696206352121.png1696206367444.png1696206393941.png1696206414499.png

Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Another event happening today, but plenty of parking space near the restrooms.
GMRS 15 if you need directionss.

Attachments

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Yall meeting this upcoming Saturday? As I understand it the meets are at 9AM? Is it just a meet or is there some trails we hit?
I will be there for sure. Official start is 0900, but you can show up any time. I'll probably be there around 0830-0845.
It's at San Gabriel Park, so no trails. But, there are times we go riding afterwards, just not this meet.

Reactions: joxhua

joxhua

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bowlby
I will be there for sure. Official start is 0900, but you can show up any time. I'll probably be there around 0830-0845.
It's at San Gabriel Park, so no trails. But, there are times we go riding afterwards, just not this meet.
Awesome thanks for the heads up! :) See you there!

Reactions: roots66

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Thank you to everyone who showed up today. It was great to meet new folks as well as catch up with some of the regulars.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Just wanted to let everyone know, we won't be there for the next meet up this Sat, 12/2. Y'all are always welcome to still meet and hang out anyway.

Since it's our 30th anniversary, we'll be spending the weekend camping at Kickapoo Cavern State Park. Looks like a nice place and I'll let you know what it's like.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
As promised, here is my review of Kickapoo Cavern State Park, in case anyone is interested in going sometime.

The drive there was beautiful as it's deep in the Hill Country and although the last town (Rocksprings) we went through to get there is about 30 miles away, it took 45+ minutes to get to the park. The speed limit is 55, but we didn't spend much time going that fast due to the winding, but scenic, road. Brackettville is 10 miles closer to the park, but in the opposite direction. Give yourself about 5 hours travel time to include stops for gas/food/breaks.

The park used to be a working ranch and is relatively small (6368 acres) with only 15 camping spaces available. 5 have water/electric and 10 have shared water only. Sites are clean, but close together. The trees/brush (mostly) keeps people from seeing each other, but you can still hear conversations. Fortunately, everyone was respectful and it wasn't a real problem. There is also a centrally located mens/womens restroom with hot/cold running water and showers. Finally, there is a separate group camping area, but it's only 5 spaces in a 2 acre site.

There are actually 20 caverns in the park, but only one big enough that you can get a guided tour of. The bat cave is free and you can watch the bats leave every night from mid-March to the end of October. There are quite a few hiking trails and boots are highly recommended as most of it gets pretty rugged. Overall, it was a great time.

Last edited:

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Of course, no trip through the Hill Country is complete without lunch a Cooper's
IMAG3096.jpg

The park in on part of the Pecos Trail
IMAG3115.jpg

A reminder that the border is close
IMAG3114.jpg

Our site
IMAG3100.jpgIMAG3110.jpg

Pizza for dinner
IMAG3098.jpgIMAG3099.jpg

Some of the trails
IMAG3105.jpgIMAG3106.jpgIMAG3107.jpg

A friend we made at camp