Recs on local welders in Bay Area/Tri-Valley area

• HTML tutorial

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I'm looking to make some modifications to my Wilco hitchmount carrier to add mounting points for my Treds, a 3.5lb propane tank mount and possibly a Rotopax mount. Anyone here do any welding/fabricating or know anyone close in the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area or close that they can recommend? Don't mind traveling outside the Tri-Vailley area either. Thanks!

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

I just purchased some sliders from Jesse and they are amazing quality. They were $180 bucks but start at $160. He is in Oregon but I believe he will ship.

OB 1643

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Seconded! I am looking for someone who might be able to fashion rock sliders.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app

Did some poking around and there is Bay Area Metal Fabrications in Benicia. I'm going to give him a call and try and stop by one of these days. Was hoping to get a place a little closer as I'm sure it will take multiple trips for what I want, but hear his stuff is good. Some guys on the T4R forum are running his stuff.

http://www.bayareametalfab.com/

EDIT: Can't you run the Trailhawk sliders? I guess for the price of OEM you could get some real good sliders. I had a 13 Trailhawk and some guys that had other models used them.

Reactions: Anders0nic

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I'll second a recommendation of Jerry @ Bay Area Metal Fabrication in Benicia.

I have a pair of sliders from him. Top notch quality and great customer service. He kinda "overbuilds" everything...

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I have a Wilco Hitchgate as well that I need some modifications done. Mounts for traction aids, jerry cans, and high lift. Wilco makes a dual jerry can holder but they want $350+ for it. Way too much $$ just for a tray that bolts on to the Hitchgate.

Not sure if you saw this thread but coulter6 did some mods to his Hitchgate.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/wanda-lust-a-2015-4runner-trail.1544/

I posted on Expo looking for a welder to mount some sliders on my rig and got some replies and suggestions.

No experience with any of them but it's worth a start. There has to be more out there.

BAMF as mentioned previously.

Diablo Offroad, in Walnut Creek. Ask for Cliff

Stanley Fabrication in Santa Cruz. Toyick on the expo forums.

Arabias Overkill Jeep Fab in Campbell

www.shaffersoffroad.com

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Some good names there. Diablo Offroad looks more like a shop than a fabricator. I think I'm going to go to BAMF as I'm sure being in Benicia he also has the lowest labor rate. Seems the closer you get to the City/Peninsula the rates go up. I've put this on the back burner till March as I have a project I have to get done in February. I did see that 4R with the Wilco on the T4R.org forum. I'm going to do something like that. Not sure yet. Gotta sketch some stuff out. Let me know what you come up with or where you go. @Jelorian

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Diablo Offroad welded my BAMF sliders on. While he was a nice guy, I wouldn't recommend his services. It took him all day to burn on a set of sliders. I arrived at opening hours and he didn't touch the truck till 2pm. He had no other work at the time. he didn't finish the job until 8pm. Thats correct; 6 hours... Very poor time management skills. Again, he was a nice fella. My experience may vary from others.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Diablo Offroad welded my BAMF sliders on. While he was a nice guy, I wouldn't recommend his services. It took him all day to burn on a set of sliders. I arrived at opening hours and he didn't touch the truck till 2pm. He had no other work at the time. he didn't finish the job until 8pm. Thats correct; 6 hours... Very poor time management skills. Again, he was a nice fella. My experience may vary from others.
Just curious, BAMF made your sliders, but they cannot fit and mount them? Are the a fabrication shop only?

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Just curious, BAMF made your sliders, but they cannot fit and mount them? Are the a fabrication shop only?
Correct. Jerry used to do installs, but with liability being what it is and the fact that he is not a repair shop, he no longer does the installs. He is fabrication only. He has recommendations as to where you can go for installs. Most people who cannot weld buy the bolt on items anyways. My welder was not available at the moment(house/garage renovation, no 240 outlet in garage at that moment) and it was faster to have someone else tackle the task rather than wait for myself as I rewrite the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

Correct. Jerry used to do installs, but with liability being what it is and the fact that he is not a repair shop, he no longer does the installs. He is fabrication only. He has recommendations as to where you can go for installs. Most people who cannot weld buy the bolt on items anyways. My welder was not available at the moment(house/garage renovation, no 240 outlet in garage at that moment) and it was faster to have someone else tackle the task rather than wait for myself as I rewrite the garage.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if he would mod something that is on the truck already then. May have to take it off so he can work. Guess I'll find out when the time comes. Thanks for chiming in.

Reactions: Anders0nic

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Also, another welder is bentrodder on the TacomaWorld forum. He made the bedside supports for my Tacoma and does all kinds of work for the local Bay Area Tacoma community. He is located in Cotati though. May be a long drive. Really good guy and his welds look fantastic.

Reactions: SAC-CA-Runner