• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

My personal opionion,

Winching is the last resort, unless it is deemed the only means such as roll overs. When someone gets stuck I find it best to use other methods shovel, sand ladders, dynamic pull strap and even a jack. I think we as a community naturally grasp for the winch because it is a high dollar item and there is a need to justify having it. In my 20+ years of off-roading I have only had winches maybe 25% of the total time on any of my vehicles. In all of that time I can count the times a winch was neccessary to use on one hand. I think I only used a winch once for a recovery. I use it most when for pulling firewood to an accessible area for cutting.

The idea that we naturally go straight to the winch also brings up another good point worth mentioning about recoveries. Time. Sometime, I am guilty on occassion, to think we need to jump right out and recover a vehicle. We need to remember to stop and assess the situation first. There are times when getting into action are warranted due to safety concerns, but for the most part we need to remember to slow down. The key is practice, practice practice. You do not need a lot to do this.

My final comment, ensure you match the winch to the vehicle and the effort. I have seen too many times the case of a 2,000lb winch because it was cheap. They then over compensate with snatch blocks. That is also if they properly assess the situation. I have also seen the other spectrum of a Jeep with a 12,000lb. Maybe money not needed to be spent.

Great discussion Robert!

Regards,

Eric
I agree 100% the importance of pausing to think first. I have an Uncle who tends to over react in situations. Many times all that is required is a quick tug with a strap from another vehicle where he is standing there getting mad and over analyzing things. A while back, my cousin got his New Ram with all season tires and no lockers high centered at an angle on a dirt berm. It was the typical one wheel on each corner off the ground. I knew as soon as I could get three of his wheels on solid earth, he would be fine.

Reactions: Gunnermoose

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

A lot of good info here. I worked for SCE for 35 years , and pulled a lot of vehicles of all sizes from different problems. Most of the times I used tow straps and shovel work most. If I get a chance I will post pics of some of the rescues. One was two 65.000 Lbs 6x6 drives that buried themselves in mud so bad even a Heavy Rescue Tow Truck couldn't move them, We trained up the tow truck with my one ton dual and two 5 ton "Candy Wagons" and drugged them out and a lot of shovel work to ramp the wheels out....

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

My personal opionion,

Winching is the last resort, unless it is deemed the only means such as roll overs. When someone gets stuck I find it best to use other methods shovel, sand ladders, dynamic pull strap and even a jack. I think we as a community naturally grasp for the winch because it is a high dollar item and there is a need to justify having it. In my 20+ years of off-roading I have only had winches maybe 25% of the total time on any of my vehicles. In all of that time I can count the times a winch was neccessary to use on one hand. I think I only used a winch once for a recovery. I use it most when for pulling firewood to an accessible area for cutting.

The idea that we naturally go straight to the winch also brings up another good point worth mentioning about recoveries. Time. Sometime, I am guilty on occassion, to think we need to jump right out and recover a vehicle. We need to remember to stop and assess the situation first. There are times when getting into action are warranted due to safety concerns, but for the most part we need to remember to slow down. The key is practice, practice practice. You do not need a lot to do this.

My final comment, ensure you match the winch to the vehicle and the effort. I have seen too many times the case of a 2,000lb winch because it was cheap. They then over compensate with snatch blocks. That is also if they properly assess the situation. I have also seen the other spectrum of a Jeep with a 12,000lb. Maybe money not needed to be spent.

Great discussion Robert!

Regards,

Eric
You make a very good point. Although I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, it does seem that most of us can make do without one. Of course, it probably does make life easier to have one. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that this dude drove 557K miles in his G-Wagen without one.

https://elsolitariomc.com/blog/2015/11/20/the-mercedes-g-class-that-went-around-the-globe/1600x900.jpg

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

You make a very good point. Although I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, it does seem that most of us can make do without one. Of course, it probably does make life easier to have one. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that this dude drove 557K miles in his G-Wagen without one.

https://elsolitariomc.com/blog/2015/11/20/the-mercedes-g-class-that-went-around-the-globe/View attachment 13159
This is totally beside the point, but I love your Mercedes (G500?). I stopped on the road the other day and asked to buy some guys which was very similar, but he wouldn't sell. These are so rare in Canada, but oh so beautiful. Sorry for the rude interruption, haha.

Reactions: picklejuice

bolojohn

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kingman,
Member #

I am puzzled why this has a subject entitled "Everything about winching" when there's almost no information at all about winching... WUWT?

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I am puzzled why this has a subject entitled "Everything about winching" when there's almost no information at all about winching... WUWT?

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Iam very sorry, but, there is a video, there are in the beginning the basic rules around winching, and we talk about the line up what RECOVERY is. We dont talk solely about winching.
So, In what way do you mean no information about winching? And the subject is Recovery, not winching.
Please enlighten me, because I am lost.

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Great thread! My winch is more of a tool then a piece of recovery gear. I use it a lot on my property and around the house. From dealing with downed trees, to hoisting things into a 2nd story barn loft or moving heavy items into position. The only time I've used it for recovery, we were alone on the trail. Tow straps and kinetic energy only work when you have a second vehicle. Every 4x4 I have owned has had a winch on it. It's a kind of insurance that's sets the mind at ease, especially for my wife. Happy Trails!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 64Trvlr

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Got first usage out of it a couple of weekends ago. Not a stall, just couldn't hop the underwater log.

Reactions: Ohhhgeee

shireman7

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey all,

I am new to the forum and overlanding in general. I recently bought my FJ Cruiser and it came with a "Badland 9000lb" winch. Unfortunately, there was not a remote included with the FJ. I am looking for any and all recommendations on what remote I should get. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Thanks for your help!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I use a 8000lb hand winch for my 7700lb colorado and most everything on the farm that needs to be moved when its too wet to move with my tractor. I had a couple of highschool aged kids driving their dads f250 look at me like i was crazy walking out with two old floor mats when they got stuck 5 ft into the mud rd next to my house. They seen my truck and tractor and i guess thought i was gonna do the work for em. I stood off to the side and coached them out under their own power, even let them keep the floor matts for next time. Of course kids these days don't even say thanks . Someone should delve into the many ways a hilift jack aka farm jack can be used.

Reactions: MazeVX and 9Mike2

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Waiting on Factor 55 to release a flat-link that is capable of using 17,500 pound cable (size?)
Need the flat-link so my license plate stays on its winch roller mounting point, when spooled in.
That would give me a closed and open attachment point.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Wireless remotes are great but I guarantee that the battery well be dead when you need it the most. I use a Warm wireless, keep 2 batteries in the glovebox and have the wired controller on hand.

Group travel makes recovery straps the best choice, solo is another story.

Reactions: Wightmn and 9Mike2

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Wireless remotes are great but I guarantee that the battery well be dead when you need it

That is why I like the Smittybilt X-20, It comes with a cable remote that can be then confiqured as a wireless remote also.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

My personal opionion,

Great discussion Robert!

Regards,

Eric
I agree with saving the winch process as a last resort for recovery if all else fails. It is time consuming and can be dangerous if the party is new with the process. I have used my XRC 9500 synth on my JKU a few times to pull out sunk rigs from swamps and beached on sand. But before I bring the winch out I always asses the situation in order to know if I can use other simple means of recovery. Resorting to other methods of recovery is always better if it is appropriate for the situation. Saves time on the trails and is less dangerous than using a winch.

Wildmanreed

Rank IV

Advocate III

Dallas, Georgia, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Hey all,

I am new to the forum and overlanding in general. I recently bought my FJ Cruiser and it came with a "Badland 9000lb" winch. Unfortunately, there was not a remote included with the FJ. I am looking for any and all recommendations on what remote I should get. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Thanks for your help!
Harbor freight now carries badland equipment

Reactions: 9Mike2

Walkers

Rank III

Advocate I

Cave Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Benn
Last Name
Quadineros
I am surprised how many here want to dig the rigs out and use anything but a winch. I use my winches a lot, but my Rigs are working vehicles. It is a lot less effort to winch somebody out than it is to dig them out. Granted, I am heavier than most, so it makes it easier. It is a rarity to see a worn out winch on a personal vehicle. Very common to see one that doesn’t function for lack of use. I say use them as much as possible, and keep the moving parts clean. Then, when it really matters, you will have lots of experience and a winch that you know functions.