Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
This is a broad answer, as I don't know what you already have and what types of trips you take. My number one tool is my winch, I been stuck in some places where stacking rocks and traction boards just didn't help and if I had a winch at the time I would've been out in just a couple minutes.

Ever since I got my first winch, all recoveries have been just a minute or two once I get everything rigged up for a safe pull. I've been lucky to have trees nearby, if you don't I would suggest one of those anchors you can get to winch off of. Then of course in your winch kit you need d rings, gloves, a snatch block, atleast one soft shackle, and a tree saver.

Don't get me wrong I also bring traction boards and I'll stack some rocks if I have to but it's just so fast to rig up a pull.

More recovery stuff I have is situational, chainsaw, axe, shovel. Most of the time it never leaves the toolbox but digging out a hole or clearing trail obstructions do happen.

The last thing I can add in the recovery aspect is my Power Tank. I use that instead of an air compressor, and when I eventually buy air tools it has plenty of power to run impact drivers etc. The main benefit the tank has is speed, not only filling tires quick, but it sends out so much PSI it can reseat a slipped bead.

In the same hand as recovery, I'd also put rescue. I always have flashlights, some sort of lighter to start a fire, and anything you have to signal for help. I know the cool guys have to have the best looking gear but almost everything I buy is bright orange. My tent, my tarp, my rope, my backpack, all orange.

Good luck, I look forward to reading other replies in this thread.

Attachments

Reactions: CarlParker

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
If you plan on putting the rig in sketchy situations a winch would be my #1, followed by traction boards, soft shackles, shovel....the list goes on

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

What is long term, where, staying in Country? Satellite communications and a credit card. Millers Towing charges @$4000 to recover you from Saline Valley/Death Valley area.
a winch and hours of watching Matt's offroad recovery on YT to learn how to use it(and maybe how not to get stuck) .

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
What’s recommended to bring recovery wise on a long term expedition
I'd watch a few "Mountain State" overland episodes. I've never seen more use of recovery gear than those folks with the exception of "Matts Off Road Recovery".
If you're preparing for an expedition that tells me you've been on some serious week long trials. If not you probably need some "week long trials" in serious terrane.
If you've rigged several pulleys on different anchor points with other vehicles, your good. LOL
Zim

Reactions: Dark Yoda

Dark Yoda

Rank VI

Enthusiast II

Shelbyville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Forest
Last Name
Hatchel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ghost
I'd watch a few "Mountain State" overland episodes. I've never seen more use of recovery gear than those folks with the exception of "Matts Off Road Recovery".
If you're preparing for an expedition that tells me you've been on some serious week long trials. If not you probably need some "week long trials" in serious terrane.
If you've rigged several pulleys on different anchor points with other vehicles, your good. LOL
Zim
Thank you! Really appreciate it I’ll check them out today!

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
What a loaded question :)
So first I will clarify some assumptions based on your short question....
1) Sounds like you are a solo traveler
2)Sounds like you drive a Tacoma
3) Your location is in North America so I assume you will be starting there.

Here are the things in order of importance...
InReach, Zoleo or other sat messenger, even if you have lots of cell coverage in your area you could easily end up in dead zone
water/snacks/firemaking/survival....if you need recovery you might need time to make that happen in adverse conditions
jerry can (people run out of gas more than they will admit)
Lithium jump pack (accidently leave your electronics on overnight and you are done)
First aid kit with stuff you understand and are trained to use
Now look for training in your area, as much as you can handle
Tire repair kit (I love my Extreme Outback kit, but any quality one from ARB or such will work)
Air compressor (so many options but look at duty cycle, the closer to 100% the better)
Serp belt and the tools/info to change it (you only have 1 belt on that Taco, it breaks you no go)
4 Maxtrax or the highest quality clone (cheap board break and are useless), 2 are barely worth having, you have 4 tires so get 4 boards
Hand or electric winch along with a tree saver strap, soft shackles (2), hard shackle (1)
Kenetic rope (I like the ARB flat ones even if they have slightly less stretch, they pack so much easier that thick ropes)
The rest of what you will get will come with experience for your type of travel

Reactions: Dark Yoda

Dark Yoda

Rank VI

Enthusiast II

Shelbyville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Forest
Last Name
Hatchel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ghost
What a loaded question :)
So first I will clarify some assumptions based on your short question....
1) Sounds like you are a solo traveler
2)Sounds like you drive a Tacoma
3) Your location is in North America so I assume you will be starting there.

Here are the things in order of importance...
InReach, Zoleo or other sat messenger, even if you have lots of cell coverage in your area you could easily end up in dead zone
water/snacks/firemaking/survival....if you need recovery you might need time to make that happen in adverse conditions
jerry can (people run out of gas more than they will admit)
Lithium jump pack (accidently leave your electronics on overnight and you are done)
First aid kit with stuff you understand and are trained to use
Now look for training in your area, as much as you can handle
Tire repair kit (I love my Extreme Outback kit, but any quality one from ARB or such will work)
Air compressor (so many options but look at duty cycle, the closer to 100% the better)
Serp belt and the tools/info to change it (you only have 1 belt on that Taco, it breaks you no go)
4 Maxtrax or the highest quality clone (cheap board break and are useless), 2 are barely worth having, you have 4 tires so get 4 boards
Hand or electric winch along with a tree saver strap, soft shackles (2), hard shackle (1)
Kenetic rope (I like the ARB flat ones even if they have slightly less stretch, they pack so much easier that thick ropes)
The rest of what you will get will come with experience for your type of travel
Thank you so much! I have a lot of that packed already in my weather proof boxes but will definitely need to get 2 more max trax or clones as well as a serpentine belt and tree saver! Also looking into getting metal rope to replace the wire spool already on my winch.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Thank you so much! I have a lot of that packed already in my weather proof boxes but will definitely need to get 2 more max trax or clones as well as a serpentine belt and tree saver! Also looking into getting metal rope to replace the wire spool already on my winch.
Metal Winch line? WELLLLLLLL That opens a bit of a conversation.
PERSONALLY I prefer synthetic line in order to save weight and for safety in case of breakage (flying soft line hurts less that flying steel cable)
The ONLY reason I would say steel winch line is better is if you plan to do ALOT of winching on rocks or your winch will see lots of dirt/mud/sand for YEARS with no chance to replace it.
Otherwise there is really not a reason to choose steel over synth line these days.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
1) Avoidance vs. reaction
2) Patience ("fools rush in...")
3) Plan before acting
4) Clarity in roles (one operator, clear roles for others)
5) Communication (in the tasks and to seek help)
6) Competence in using the kit
5) The kit