Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Just installed a larger and better designed recovery tow hook for my 2nd gen Tacoma.

The OEM tow hook (pic provided) is pretty small and looks slim to say the least. I wanted something that would be a lot easier to secure recovery equipment.

I think this should do the trick.

I went to Bulletproof Fabricating for this tow hook upgrade. It was $100 and didn’t come with the shackle.

C.N.C laser cut, 1/2” thick A36 steel, powder coated wrinkle black. 8250 lb rating. I used 3, M12x1.25x40mm Bolts to secure the hook.

Attachments

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Looks like you have added a longer lever which might prove disasterous. The hook looks skookum but the frame it is bolted to might fail under that added leverage.
I could be wrong, hard to tell the way the pictures are taken.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I do like that It does pick up a third bolt location which should take some of the shear load off of the other two bolts due to the offset pull point. Hopefully attachment bolts are a high grade and not from a box store.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I'm no expert but if that's built the same as in the 4Runner that's a very weak point to attach recovery points to.

Those type of recovery point usually are beefier and have multiple mounting location to bear more stress in every direction of pulling.
Something like this:

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ball Ground, Pickens County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
I'm no expert but if that's built the same as in the 4Runner that's a very weak point to attach recovery points to.

Those type of recovery point usually are beefier and have multiple mounting location to bear more stress in every direction of pulling.
Something like this:
I was disappointed when I saw the OEM recovery point and the location. I haven’t located a better option.

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army

Something like this:
Just located this ARB option. Wish I had seen it earlier. $290.

Attachments

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Well, I had to have it. I got the ARB pictured here; it’s a beast. That won’t be the first or last time I have to eat the cost for something. Actually it’s worth it to me to have the best recovery point I can afford.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Ok, it’s installed. Going to give my previous recovery tow hook to my son.
I think it was a good tow point but if you had plated the inside of the box it would have been much better. (sandwich the box tube)
Like this.
Zim
IMG-1729.JPG

Attachments

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
What thickness of the plate? And, I assume this plate will help to reinforce the surface area??? Please explain. Thanks!
3/16" or even quarter inch. I think a hard snatch would pull the bolt right out of the boxed channel. To have a plate on the inside would prevent that I think. It's just a simple crossmember so you do need some support. I'm not a engineer, just a fabricator and welder, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn last night. Ahahahhahahahaha
Zim

Reactions: OldManJack

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
What thickness of the plate? And, I assume this plate will help to reinforce the surface area??? Please explain. Thanks!
3/16" or even quarter inch. I think a hard snatch would pull the bolt right out of the boxed channel. To have a plate on the inside would prevent that I think. It's just a simple crossmember so you do need some support. I'm not a engineer, just a fabricator and welder, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn last night. Ahahahhahahahaha
Zim

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Zim
That makes a lot of sense . Good idea. Thanks!

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

FYI - BPF does make a driver's side recovery point similar to this one at least for 3rd Gen Tacomas. They actually recommend having both and then using a tree saver or similar to spread the load across both locations. And don't feel bad, I bought the passenger side one too and then figured out the partial flaw. I am leaning towards getting the drivers side one and adding a plate inside for extra strength like shown above.

Similar to you, also wish I had splurged for the ARB but now that I am $100 into it and I can add the other side for another $100, well.