Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I travel by myself most of the time, so taking the recovery gear makes me feel good about my foolish decision to go ahead a go by my self! Kids don’t do this by your self! Benz.

Overland_Mike

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Adams County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Balasko
Member #

Just a hilift, 12k winch, soon to have one in the rear) and then a bag of winch essentials. Oh and a kinetic rope too.

Fighting the urge to get max trax as I don’t quite see the need yet especially in a group(which I’m in most of the time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
All the things.

And it's because I typically travel in a group that I have all the stuff. It's usually not me that needs the recovery so I'm glad to have it.

But it's not only what I have, but where I keep it in the car that is important.
I see many guys put the stuff in a drawer in the back of the vehicle.
In a scenario where you get stuck, it's not unusual that you can't get the back door/hatch open to get to your recovery gear.
Especially if there's a tire swing that has to be opened before that door will open.

Keep it in a place where you can get to it. From the driver seat if possible, at least a strap and some shackles.
Don't put it in the drawer that only opens if another door has to be opened because in a stuck situation, you may not be able to open that door.

There's my 2 centavos.

Dan.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

All the things.

And it's because I typically travel in a group that I have all the stuff. It's usually not me that needs the recovery so I'm glad to have it.

But it's not only what I have, but where I keep it in the car that is important.
I see many guys put the stuff in a drawer in the back of the vehicle.
In a scenario where you get stuck, it's not unusual that you can't get the back door/hatch open to get to your recovery gear.
Especially if there's a tire swing that has to be opened before that door will open.

Keep it in a place where you can get to it. From the driver seat if possible, at least a strap and some shackles.
Don't put it in the drawer that only opens if another door has to be opened because in a stuck situation, you may not be able to open that door.

There's my 2 centavos.

Dan.
I have had this exact thing happen! My shackles, hi-lift, hi-lift winching kit, and traction mats are accessible from outside the vehicle, but I have had the displeasure of trudging through mud and cold water to get stuff out of the back of my rig :P .

Now that I think of it, I am going to throw a tree strap up front as well.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I’m not saying a winch is a bad thing. It’s not. I want a winch. And I notice that people with winches tend to get in to situations where they need a winch. So it’s farther down my list than many other things.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Just a hilift, 12k winch, soon to have one in the rear) and then a bag of winch essentials. Oh and a kinetic rope too.

Fighting the urge to get max trax as I don’t quite see the need yet especially in a group(which I’m in most of the time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take a look at truck claws.

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

Warn 15k, knock off tracks, hi lift, shovel and mattock, tow strap, kinetic strap, and all the various odds and ends.

Last edited:

Inspiration overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bourbonnais, IL, USA
Member #

Mud tires should be listed as recovery gear. Those of us in the land of mud (midwest) who have mud tires get stuck and awful lot less than people with ATs. ATs are quieter but any tire rolls down the road. When you need traction, it is sure nice to have it on tap.