Recovery Bags

• HTML tutorial

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
What type of bags is everyone using? As of now I have a tanker style tool bag carrying my recovery gear but kind of looking for a bigger bag.

As of now I have a:
ARB Patch kit
Warn Recovery Strap
2 Shackles
Currie Tire Deflator

Looking to add a Tree Strap to my kit but my bag is pretty stuffed as is. Was looking at the ARB bag but wanted to see if there were any other options out there.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
IMG_0627.JPG I carry a lot of recovery gear. This doesn't include the HiLift, Pull-Pal, X/Jack, Chainsaw, etc... This is just what's carried in the duffle bag. I carry lots of tree savers to rig bridles, and for multiple winch pulls. The gear has grown over time. Each recovery, when I wish I had another bit of kit, I add to the bag. Its gotten a little out of control. The bag keeps getting bigger.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Currently I use a Plano footlocker, but I have also used Action Packer crates. They can be put down in water, mud, slush, or snow without soaking it up and tracking crud into the car. They can be stored in an open trailer or truck bed, they are lockable, and they hold their shape so they are easier to organize. In camp they double as a seat or table, they can be emptied to hold liquid or the lids removed to catch fluid leaks from damaged vehicles (gotta protect the environment!).

I don't see myself going back to soft bags any time soon.

I'm not out at the rig right now, so let me see what I can remember

• Metric ratchet set (Harbor Freight)
  • Jumper cables
  • Cable ties (assorted)
  • Ratchet straps
  • Bungees
  • Basic hand tools (screwdrivers, vise grips, adjustable wrenches, pliers, cutters, etc.)
  • Tire plug kit
  • Hammer (found it in the street - free tools!)
  • 4 rated shackles
  • snatch strap
  • recovery strap
  • 4-end lug wrench
  • road flares
  • emergency triangle
  • trailer hitch tow point insert
  • trailer hitch pin and cotter pin
  • fuses
  • rags
  • JB Weld
  • High lift jack accessories - Jack Mate and Lift Mate.
  • Bottle jack
  • Spot light
  • LED work light (with hanger and magnet back)
  • Power inverter
  • Compressor
  • Axe
  • Shovel
  • High lift jack
That's all I can remember right now, but I've stuff stashed all over the rig, including a bunch of spare fluids tucked in the engine bay's nooks and crannies.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Currently I use a Plano footlocker, but I have also used Action Packer crates.
I like the idea of totes but I wheel a 2 door JK so space is a premium.

I carry a lot of recovery gear. Each recovery, when I wish I had another bit of kit, I add to the bag. Its gotten a little out of control. The bag keeps getting bigger.
What bag are you utilizing? Also, how do you like those soft shackles?

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I use a tool bag like you get free with power tool sets etc for recovery stuff that lives behind the seat and plastic totes to contain everything else like dry food and general camping gear. I just was gifted a couple of ziplock brand totes with 6 clasps and weatherstripping seals on the lids that are my current favorites. I've been lusting after one of those new yeti duffle bags for my clothing but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. Really spendy, but if they're anything like the soft and hard coolers I've bought it should be the last piece of luggage I have to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I used to keep a recovery bag with winching gear, recovery gear, tire repair, first aid, gloves, tools, shovel and much more in my rig until someone broke my window and stole it. Anyway now I keep my recovery bag out of my rig till I go on runs.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I used to keep a recovery bag with winching gear, recovery gear, tire repair, first aid, gloves, tools, shovel and much more in my rig until someone broke my window and stole it. Anyway now I keep my recovery bag out of my rig till I go on runs.
Thats what I do. I do not keep anything in there permanently. I have been actually looking at the Frontrunner Wolf Pack box's. One for my recovery gear and then another for dry foods.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Thats what I do. I do not keep anything in there permanently. I have been actually looking at the Frontrunner Wolf Pack box's. One for my recovery gear and then another for dry foods.
Kathy and I picked up a couple of these at Overland expo this year, one has kitchen stuff and other is for dry food stuff, really like these!

As far as the recovery "bag" goes I use a Dewalt tool bag that came with my cordless drill set. Inside are the typical things others have listed.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
Kathy and I picked up a couple of these at Overland expo this year, one has kitchen stuff and other is for dry food stuff, really like these!

As far as the recovery "bag" goes I use a Dewalt tool bag that came with my cordless drill set. Inside are the typical things others have listed.
I might have to wait until some sort kf expo show to pick on up. Shipping alone is like 20 bucks!

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
I don't remember the exact bag I have, but I went to the surplus store, found one that fit my needs and bought it. It was pretty cheap.

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I am using a Pelican 1720 rifle case. I have it permanently bolted to my roof rack. It holds 90% of my recovery gear. It is watertight and locked. So far no one has tried breaking the locks.

I keep a small soft bag behind my seat with the other 10% of the gear. The bag has a snatch strap, a couple shackles and a safe lifting attachment for the HiLift jack.

Reactions: NightCrawler

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I run 3 of the Husky brand tool bags in my truck. They are cheap, come in many sizes and are quite durable. 1 is for tools, 1 is for electrical tools and supplies and the third is for recovery gear. I prefer to split it all up so I don't have one heavy bag.

Reactions: NightCrawler