Rank 0

Contributor I

New York
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Brooks
Hey everyone,

I’m new, starting my first build on a 2019 Toyota 4Runner. Looking for recommendations for roof racks and tents i plan on exploring with my girlfriend and dog I’m a taller guy 6’5 and about 265. Any recommendations would help I’m excited to plan my first expiation I’m located in the northeast so anyone with good places for a first timer would be greatly appreciated as well.
thank you In advance!

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
NE?

Bundutec. Skip the beginner RTT's. No idea on racks, I'm not a 4runner guy.

Reactions: Wallygator

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey everyone,

I’m new, starting my first build on a 2019 Toyota 4Runner. Looking for recommendations for roof racks and tents i plan on exploring with my girlfriend and dog I’m a taller guy 6’5 and about 265. Any recommendations would help I’m excited to plan my first expiation I’m located in the northeast so anyone with good places for a first timer would be greatly appreciated as well.
thank you In advance!
There are some great ideas in the 4Runner Registry at 4Runner Owners Registry

Also, look for links in the signatures of posters for there builds as seen in mine for example.

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

I love my Gobi Rack. The wait time is long but the quality is incredible. I had a BajaRack on my 2005 4Runner and it was good but nothing like my GobiRack. If you go onto Toyota-4Runner.org you will see a lot of the 5th Gen guys complaining about the wait time. Its pretty ridiculous because if you go into it with the knowledge that its going to take a long time its not bad. Plus its even better when you receive the notice that it was shipped to you.

The other option you can do are some LFD Off Road cross bars. These attach to your stock roof rack and you can add accessories including a RTT.

I agree with the the above statement that the RTT isn't absolutely necessary. I've been in a 4runner and into off roading and overlanding for over 10 years and while thats not a long time compared to some, I have yet to purchase a RTT. My wife and are are just now starting to consider one but still not pulling the trigger. But if thats what you want, do it! You do you! Don't let others depict your build.

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

Forgot to mention, if you do go RTT I love CVT. They have every size and style that you could want and good quality stuff.

If you have any questions on 4Runner stuff feel free to PM me.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
4Runners.com is another forum without all the egos. I have the LFD full aluminum rack and it has been great. I have a Eezi-Awn Blade mounted to it full time. The Blade probably won't fit you too well. With your height you would definitely fit better into a fold out style like the CVT mentioned. But the fold out style does not set up as quick as the Blade or the Bundutec style tents. The tent is a personal decision that you will probably spend many hours trying to decide on.

Reactions: A10MileHusker

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Watching my buddy ( @Magic Mike ) climb up and down from his roof to close up his Tepui RTT on his T4R I would recommend a rack that has a nice ladder integration. If I had an SUV I'd probably just stick with a ground tent or a hard shell RTT. Soft shell RTTs are kind of a pain to close up and frankly not very safe compared to the alternatives. Climbing around on top of your rig in inclement weather or when fatigued is never a good idea. I've used my Tepui countless times over the last 2 years and I've often thought to myself how easy it would be to fall off the top while closing it up and trying to get it cinched down tight enough for the cover to zip up. I love my tent but I'll likely move to a Gazelle ground tent until I can afford a nice hard shell like the QuickPitch or similar aluminum build. I'm 6'3" so I worry about room as well.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Watching my buddy ( @Magic Mike ) climb up and down from his roof to close up his Tepui RTT on his T4R I would recommend a rack that has a nice ladder integration. If I had an SUV I'd probably just stick with a ground tent or a hard shell RTT. Soft shell RTTs are kind of a pain to close up and frankly not very safe compared to the alternatives. Climbing around on top of your rig in inclement weather or when fatigued is never a good idea. I've used my Tepui countless times over the last 2 years and I've often thought to myself how easy it would be to fall off the top while closing it up and trying to get it cinched down tight enough for the cover to zip up. I love my tent but I'll likely move to a Gazelle ground tent until I can afford a nice hard shell like the QuickPitch or similar aluminum build. I'm 6'3" so I worry about room as well.
Hey wait a minute buddy, I haven't fallen yet. That is why I move really slowly up there and lay down on top of it, while zipping and unzipping.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey everyone,

thank you In advance!
Take a look at the Front Runner full length rack. I love mine, they are supper functional, easy to install, moderately priced, really fast shipping and do not require any proprietary accessory mounts.A28ED17B-B0B7-4BBB-95D3-A2183BFAADC5.jpg

slipperypine

Rank 0

Contributor I

New York
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Brooks
I love my Gobi Rack. The wait time is long but the quality is incredible. I had a BajaRack on my 2005 4Runner and it was good but nothing like my GobiRack. If you go onto Toyota-4Runner.org you will see a lot of the 5th Gen guys complaining about the wait time. Its pretty ridiculous because if you go into it with the knowledge that its going to take a long time its not bad. Plus its even better when you receive the notice that it was shipped to you.

The other option you can do are some LFD Off Road cross bars. These attach to your stock roof rack and you can add accessories including a RTT.

I agree with the the above statement that the RTT isn't absolutely necessary. I've been in a 4runner and into off roading and overlanding for over 10 years and while thats not a long time compared to some, I have yet to purchase a RTT. My wife and are are just now starting to consider one but still not pulling the trigger. But if thats what you want, do it! You do you! Don't let others depict your build.
I have been looking at the Gobi racks wait time doesn't matter if the quality is there. has anyone had pribles with weight load on the LFD off road crossbars that would be the easiest solution.

thanks for the feed back!

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

I have been looking at the Gobi racks wait time doesn't matter if the quality is there. has anyone had pribles with weight load on the LFD off road crossbars that would be the easiest solution.

thanks for the feed back!
Quality is definitely there, more so than my Baja Rack for sure.

CHeck out this thread on T4R LFD Off Road Page It started with it being LFD build page but its packed with peoples experiences and set ups. It has 51 pages worth of comments, pictures and reviews. Really good stuff there.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

If you want an RTT and specially if you go for a harshell wich I would recommand, roof racks are a waiste of money and not need it weight. Some solid roof bars like Rhino rack heavy duty will do. You can add some bracketes easily for an awning, or some recovery boards, etc..
Otherwise, an RTT will take 90% if not all roof rack space and it is just wasted money and added weight high up, in the worst place.

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

Doing my friends truck on a low budget...
bone set up from rhino rack. Pioneer platform from rhino rack. Tent well that’s up to you he has a family of five. He is planning the Cvt Denali setup with a arb awning with an additional room.. 7690A860-9223-48BC-80BD-D9FA48ED6736.jpeg40711579-8281-46F1-A708-BFCDA3DB88E9.jpegC4990C4C-30CD-4D8A-A450-E0645FEF4B40.jpegC034F375-DFD8-49E3-984A-A57A609A70B5.jpegE4F17D05-EDC2-4518-9B81-83EB6A39D6AC.jpeg
He is planning on sleeping on top due to the bitter cold that is emitted through the floor. Good luck.

Reactions: Wallygator

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
If you want an RTT and specially if you go for a harshell wich I would recommand, roof racks are a waiste of money and not need it weight. Some solid roof bars like Rhino rack heavy duty will do. You can add some bracketes easily for an awning, or some recovery boards, etc..
Otherwise, an RTT will take 90% if not all roof rack space and it is just wasted money and added weight high up, in the worst place.
I'm gonna disagree, I think it depends on what vehicle you have. I have a 4Runner. No way I am going to mount my 170lb aluminum RTT to load bars that hook onto the edge of my door openings..no, I need a full roof rack. If my vehicle had drip rails than yes I agree. IMO the only way I could have gotten away with no full roof rack is if I went with a Go Fast RTT which eliminates the rack completely and attaches to the factory rack attachment points.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

On my old landcruiser the feet of the roof bars screw in to the roof with M8 bolts. The roof bars are rated at 100 kg dynamic load. Many manufacturers use the same feet for roof bars and the roof racks, like Frontrunner or Rhino Rack for example..
On my new Hilux, same thing, the feet of the roof bars come from a Frontrunner rack, but I will only use 3 bars, not the whole thing..

So there are a lot of options.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I have a 2017 4runner with an aftermarket rack and a RTT.

I have to admit the RTT isnt the easiest thing in the world to access to deploy or put away up that high. I have the southern style offroad full length rack. It is low profile and I am able to leave two cross bars bolted to the tent and simply remove them with the tent when I want it off. The main problem is that with a 3” lift and 33” tires, I am about 1” too tall to get into my standard garage door with the tent mounted. So... this prevents me from being able to buy and use a lift specifically designed to get it on/off. And so, it must be man handled up there. Its a real pain in the wazzoo. The tent is a CVT mount shasta summit series. Its an excellent tent and sleeps very well. It just wont fit in the garage and is a bear to install and remove.

So my questions to you...
Do you plan to leave the tent on all the time? (It will negatively affect handling day to day)

If not, how do you plan to manage getting the tent on and off?

Do you have plans for a lift? Will that deny you access to your plan for question above?

If i had to do it again, I would shop around for a thinner option. Something a couple inches shorter overall height or something much lighter.

Reactions: leeloo and JCWages