Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO
I'm looking for recs on 14 AWG single-pair wiring for external lighting applications, for use with Deutsch connectors, preferably with a common exterior sheathing. Currently, I've been using this: oz-usa 14 AWG wiring.

Overall decent and it works, and the exterior sheathing is nice and burly, but the biggest problems I have with are (a) it's internal strands are something super-thin like 24 AWG, and (b) the interior insulation is extra thick. The problem with (a) is two-fold:
- Pin insertion into Deutsch connectors takes a bit of force to puncture the internal seals and seat the pins, and the internal stranding is so small that the wires tend to buckle with the resistance. I don't have this problem with other 14 AWG that is comprised of internal strands of thicker gauge.
- Good luck getting all the internal wires to fit a closed Deutsch pin. It's not as bad with crimp terminal pins or WeatherPacks (which I don't like as much and aren't the standard offroad lighting connector), but I prefer closed connector crimping and there's just no way to get them all in there. It could be that the aggregate wire size is actually slightly larger than 14 AWG, or it could be that's it's just really hard to get them all into a perfect circle. So far I've had to trim down some spurious strands to fit the pin, but this leads to a follow-up problem: the clipped strands have a tendency to tear the interior insulation when it buckles or hits resistance with the rubber seal, leading to difficulty continuing the insertion and the possibility of a short.

The problem with (b) is basically an aggravation of (a): since the interior insulation is thicker, it requires more force to push through the Deutsch rubber seal, meaning more wire buckling and associated problems. It may also mean a tighter water seal, but that means nothing if the insulation tears outside of the seal because of interior strands puncturing the insulation.

As a note, I usually wrap the end of the connector and the inserted wires with Rescue Tape and electrical tape, providing a bit more water resistance and connector strain relief, so I'm not terribly worried about shorts. I would like something that's far easier to assemble, though.

Any recommendations or experience?

Thanks,
-B

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Take a look at this Amazon product.
Monoprice 113716 Nimbus Series 14 Gauge AWG 2 Conductor
It's true cooper strand wire and I feel it's a better fit on connectors. I also use liquid electrical tape to fully water proof everything, Prematex brand works great.

Another option is a harness with relay, you can get HD harness in 12ga, lighter duty in 14 and 16ga. They are normally longer than you need, I just change out the connectors. I have 4 lighting circuits each on it's own relay.

Amazon kit, search for

MICTUNING HD+ 12 Gauge LED Light Bar Wiring Harness

Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO
Thanks for the rec! Going to check out the Monoprice cable!

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Have you checked out the wiring supplies that DelCity has on their web site?

I've been buying their stuff for about 15 years now and have no complaints with their products and service.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I use 14 awg Deutsch connectors all the wme and have never had a problem. I just trim all the wires going into a connector the exact length with .2 inch wire showing, run them through the removable insulators, attach the pins with my crimper and insert them in the conector.

Reactions: 64Trvlr