Layton, UT
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Peal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7LSF
I'm looking for recommendations on a double din, in-dash navigation system for my 2010 Wrangler. I'm looking for a system that either has off-road trails preloaded, or the capability to upload them. I've looked at the Kenwood systems which use Garmin maps, but read in other forums that the uploading of Garmin maps is sketchy.

I know that a lot of folks run iPads and laptops in their rigs, but I'm hoping to find an in-dash solution to save cabin space and keep things neat and clean as my rig is also a daily driver.

Thanks Overlanders- I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

-Heathen

Reactions: Lead K9

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Go for broke and get one of the Chinese made Android based double din radios. Then you can load whatever you want. Be it Gaia GPS, Backcountry Navigator, Orux... whatever..... Other options are the Pioneer Apple radios which can mirror apps but you will want to double check the specifics on that. There are lots of threads discussing these things on other forums. Maybe one here to. I know there is a good thread on the http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/426154-android-stereo-upgrade.html

Heathen

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Layton, UT
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Peal
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7LSF
Great reconnection! Thanks!

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

I'm in a similar boat. I bought my 2008 Jeep Wrangler with RER MyGig. It was great, but the GPS database has since gone bye-bye and the touchscreen radio has a mind of its own. My Google Fu might be weak, but I have to find a downloadable solution to fix it. Fortunately I can plug in my iPhone with iTunes and Google Maps when I need them. However, I do miss the original functionality.

The dealership says my model is no longer available. So I am in the market for a new in-dash navigation/radio replacement. What do the folks around here have experience with, what features can you not live without, and what is a waste?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm looking for one of the Android units for my Xterra as well. I've found a few on Ebay and Amazon with good reviews but I've yet to pull the trigger on one. I like the idea of the backup camera ones since it's not unusual for me to have enough stuff in the back of it that I can't see out the back window and it would be nice to have in parking lots.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Do the jeeps not have any built in functionality in the head unit that it comes with? The Land Rover has a bunch of controls for things and the 4x4 info screen built in, so its not simple to replace a double din setup.

That is nice if you can do that and not loose anything. I just recently went with the ram mount and 12.9" ipad. Can't beat the interface, but it does use some space. Doesn't interfere with passenger though and can easily be rotated around for use by the passenger.

Nikosan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Peninsula/Pollock Pines
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

The issue with the Chinese Android units is the sound reproduction is very dismal at best. They have Navigation, DVD and other features that cost at least twice as much on name brand head units. They had to put cheap inferior circuitry to keep cost down so the music it reproduces is poor. So if you are running stock speakers and amplifiers and not into having good quality sound then this units are acceptable for the budget minded person.

Reactions: Heathen