Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I hope that my comment is not perceived as negative. I have the utmost respect for all medical personnel. Being a parent of 4 I have often though that my house was a trauma center on its own. However even with basic training I soon found that I do not have the skills of a trained professional. I have seen many injuries in the woods and while most cuts and scraps I can handle, other injuries all I can do is make sure the patient does not go into shock, minimize blood loss with pressure but I do need to get medical attention for the patient and quickly. I have a SAT phone and a subscription to a field ambulance helicopter, while this may sound very silly, it saved one of my friends, when a high lift jack gave way caught him square in the face.

I agree with proper trauma bag, but also have a backup plan for evacuation. Very interesting read, and thank you
Good points. This when this question is asked I start off by asking what level of medical training someone has. The OP sounds like he's just looking for a replacement bag so it sounds like he may have some kind of medical training. But if he was building one from scratch or trying to buy a kit I'd suggest building his own based on his level of training and knowledge, much cheaper and you don't wind up with a bunch of stuff that you don't know how to use.

Even as trained EMS personnel we still have to be careful what we do in the field off duty without medical control. I'm actually quite limited and can basically act as an EMT Basic. Doing advanced medical skills in the field without med control can result in big problems for me.

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
20% off for OB members puts this at a good value I think. Mine is ordered and looking forward to the videos showing how to put it all together correctly.

Reactions: Outer Limit Supply

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I hope that my comment is not perceived as negative. I have the utmost respect for all medical personnel. Being a parent of 4 I have often though that my house was a trauma center on its own. However even with basic training I soon found that I do not have the skills of a trained professional. I have seen many injuries in the woods and while most cuts and scraps I can handle, other injuries all I can do is make sure the patient does not go into shock, minimize blood loss with pressure but I do need to get medical attention for the patient and quickly. I have a SAT phone and a subscription to a field ambulance helicopter, while this may sound very silly, it saved one of my friends, when a high lift jack gave way caught him square in the face.

I agree with proper trauma bag, but also have a backup plan for evacuation. Very interesting read, and thank you
As a medical professional I would say your approach is totally appropriate. I think the most difficult thing to adequately express to the general public is that the goal is really to stabilize and transport, not treat and cure. If you watch Dr. Solis' trauma video you will note his is a practical approach - plenty of gloves & bandages. As said in one of his trauma videos, a gloved hand applying pressure may be the simplest, most effective thing you can do - and it doesn't take much.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

As a medical professional I would say your approach is totally appropriate. I think the most difficult thing to adequately express to the general public is that the goal is really to stabilize and transport, not treat and cure. If you watch Dr. Solis' trauma video you will note his is a practical approach - plenty of gloves & bandages. As said in one of his trauma videos, a gloved hand applying pressure may be the simplest, most effective thing you can do - and it doesn't take much.
I agree. You don't need to spend a fortune on a trauma kit. Military trauma kits are expensive, but they are made to address gunshot wounds in remote areas where evacuation times are extended because you are in a war zone. Overlanders are unlikely to be in this situation. A tourniquet, hydrostatic gauze, some heavy duty bandages, rubber gloves and a SAM splint added to a basic first aid kit is really all you need. Save your money for a Sat phone or other communication device. Minimizing the time between injury and proper medical care should be your priority. Here in the USA, you really shouldn't be too far from emergency medical care. Learn how to stop the bleeding and get help. All the little booboos and trail injuries which come from camping can be addressed with a basic first aid kit. For life threatening injuries, you just need to get them to the hospital ASAP.

John Levers

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Unity Maine
First Name
John
Last Name
Levers
Member #

Service Branch
Fire Service
So I personally carry multiple Trauma / first aid kits. But I'm also an EMT. I get a lot of my personal supplies from the skinny medic on youtube store medicalgearoutfitters.com and a few other sites. but my new favorite trauma kit bag is from Vanquest gear.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

John Levers

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Unity Maine
First Name
John
Last Name
Levers
Member #

Service Branch
Fire Service
So I personally set up my own trauma kits, I carry one on me all day every day as part of my EDC. But for a good pre-made trauma kit check out medical gear outfitters he makes a good kit with quality supplies. if you watch a lot of You tube the owner of medical gear outfitters is skinny medic.

John iowa

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Des Moines, IA, USA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kc0ram
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies to my original post. I’m excited to see all of the discussion. Here.

I ended up getting this bag, but unfortunately the seams broke shortly after I got it

Thankfully the companies great customer service replaced it. I’m still using the replacement.

Attachments

Reactions: El Solis

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Chris, I'm interested in the inserts for the hard cases.
Where can I purchase them?

Sorry just seeing this now The hard case is a Pelican EMS case and it comes with those inserts. I’m not sure you can get them separately. Amazon and other places carry the cases. Sorry for the delayed response!