Recommendations for a three day, two night trip near Sacramento, CA?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Breshears
Member #

I don’t know the best place to post this, but I am looking recommendations for a three day/two night trip within a few hours of Sacramento? I have a ‘99 Land Cruiser with a lift on 33s and my cousin will be in a similarly equipped 4Runner. I have done lots of tent camping in state parks, etc. but never on the trail. We are novices when it comes to wheeling.

Thanks!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Jump on any section of this, just be aware that Bowman Lake will be super-busy Fri-Sun and holidays.

-TJ

Reactions: IronwoodOverland

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Breshears
Member #

Jump on any section of this, just be aware that Bowman Lake will be super-busy Fri-Sun and holidays.

-TJ
I’ve actually been on a small section of that, i camp at onion valley sometimes, which is near big valley bluff and lake valley reservoir. Thanks for the link

Reactions: tjZ06

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I don’t know the best place to post this, but I am looking recommendations for a three day/two night trip within a few hours of Sacramento? I have a ‘99 Land Cruiser with a lift on 33s and my cousin will be in a similarly equipped 4Runner. I have done lots of tent camping in state parks, etc. but never on the trail. We are novices when it comes to wheeling.

Thanks!
There are quite a lot of trails in that general area. Can you provide some more details on what you are looking for? For example, are you interested in driving into a nice spot and spending two nights there and then driving out, or are you looking for extended dirt road driving with various scenic points along the way? Do you prefer fully disbursed camping, or would you be open to undeveloped camping near others?

Enthusiast I

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Breshears
Member #

Thanks!
There are quite a lot of trails in that general area. Can you provide some more details on what you are looking for? For example, are you interested in driving into a nice spot and spending two nights there and then driving out, or are you looking for extended dirt road driving with various scenic points along the way? Do you prefer fully disbursed camping, or would you be open to undeveloped camping near others?
Ideally it would be extended dirt rode driving, a different spot to camp each of the two nights. I would prefer fully disbursed camping, but am open to undeveloped sites with others.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Ideally it would be extended dirt rode driving, a different spot to camp each of the two nights. I would prefer fully disbursed camping, but am open to undeveloped sites with others.
The BDT I linked above is perfect for that. Sign up for their service, get the KMZ/Ls and load them in GAIA and do as much or as little as you want each day and stop wherever you like. The town of Allegheny and their mining museum is pretty neat, and The Little Town of Washington (a short detour off the route) is cool as well (it has a historic hotel that Wyatt Earp and other famous names stayed at) if you're into that kind of thing. Just remember like I said before, Bowman will be busy on any weekend or holiday (including Fridays nights when I say weekend). The trail right on Bowman and the switch-backs on the West end of Bowman by the damn are a bit rocky, but we went last weekend and a bone-stock GX460 (or 470... I forget) in our group had no issues. It was his first real off roading with it and he was surprised/happy how easily it did even the toughest sections. Your LC and a T4R on 33"s will have no issues.

-TJ

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Tahoe BDT is a nice option, I'd also recommend checking out the Plumas BDT, Lassen BDT, and Mendocino BDT. For the lassen BDT, jump on at hwy 36 and head north to avoid the dixie fire burn scar. For the plumas section, I'd use the historical fire map layer in Gaia GPS to figure out which portions escaped the Dixie, but it got hit hard. All of these routes will provide an awesome experience if you want to spend a couple of days out on the trail. I'd also recommend the El Dorado BDT (lower section got his by the caldor last year), specifically the section up by Burnside Lake, Lost Lakes, Foresthill Divide and Mud Lake-- god's country up that way and all of those sections escaped the Caldor Fire.