Recommendations for 1st Overlanding Trip (Northern California)

• HTML tutorial

Ekaphoto

Rank 0

Contributor I

Prineville Oregon
First Name
John
Last Name
Carney
Until you get a winch get a high.lift Jack some chain and or a couple tow straps along with some shackles. You can use your hi lift jack as a winch instead of a come along. Much stronger. I ha e heard of guys pulling a dozer out of mud with a high.lift jack. It is slow but works well I havw done it with my truck. Be sure to find attachment points and how to ser it up BEFORE YOU GO ANYWHERE. Keep it simple and you can figure it out in your driveway.

Rigged For Adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area
This is great feedback. I never thought about this. I'll most likely go with a hi-lift jack, tow straps and tree savers for the time being. I need to get attachment points and d-rings too.

Until you get a winch get a high.lift Jack some chain and or a couple tow straps along with some shackles. You can use your hi lift jack as a winch instead of a come along. Much stronger. I ha e heard of guys pulling a dozer out of mud with a high.lift jack. It is slow but works well I havw done it with my truck. Be sure to find attachment points and how to ser it up BEFORE YOU GO ANYWHERE. Keep it simple and you can figure it out in your driveway.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

+5 for Mendocino NF!
Lake Pilsbury and Hull Mountain are good ideas for a place to start, but the forest is vast. Other places well worth the drive are Plasket Meadows, Anthony Peak and Wells Cabin.

+5 for avoiding Covelo.
I've never had any real trouble there, but its just not a nice area at all.

To get to the northern part of the woods I usually go up the east side of the NF to Elk Creek and go in through FH-7, or up to Paskenta and go up the M2 or M4. Road 313 looks interesting too but I have not been on that one yet. You can also take M6 and M1 to the north from Lake Pilsbury. These are all forestry roads so you won't encounter anything terribly difficult before the snow arrives. Winter time is my favorite up there, but it snows a lot at higher elevations and does limit where you can get to.

Rigged For Adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area
Had tons of fun at Hollister Hills today! The 4x4 Obstacle Course taught me some lessons about wheeling. Even got muddy and slippery for a few minutes. Good times and I'd for sure come back since there's a lot of parts left to explore.

Reactions: KA7USA