Recommendations for 1st Overlanding Trip (Northern California)

• HTML tutorial

Rigged For Adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area
My rig is almost ready for overlanding, and I want to plan an overlanding trip in the next couple of weeks. I've been lurking the forums for a while now and Mendocino NF seems to be a popular destination.

Does anyone else have any other recommendation? I'm not looking for difficult trails per say as this will be our first time, but would like to camp at some good campsites.

goonlander

Rank 0
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasanton, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Czeszynski
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVZ
Genoa Peak Road in East Lake Tahoe is a good beginner trail. Its got great views of the lake and from what I can remember there were a few dispersed camping locations. Genoa Peak OHV Trail. I might be able to find some photos if you are interested.

goonlander

Rank 0
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasanton, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Czeszynski
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVZ
Just looked for the pics and couldn't find anything good. Google will be your friend for this one!

King

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Dolcourt
Member #

For my first outing I'm going to go to the Lake Tahoe area. It's beautiful up there especially when it snows. Although I've never done any trail in fresh powder.

Reactions: MysticZT4R

Ekaphoto

Rank 0

Contributor I

Prineville Oregon
First Name
John
Last Name
Carney
Norther California is a huge place. I grew up there. Where are you leaving from? Good places is lake Pillsbury area. void covelo, marijuana harvest time and problems there at best of times.

Rigged For Adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area
Norther California is a huge place. I grew up there. Where are you leaving from? Good places is lake Pillsbury area. void covelo, marijuana harvest time and problems there at best of times.
I'll be coming from San Jose.

Mendocino NF is a place I'm def interested in checking out as well.

Ekaphoto

Rank 0

Contributor I

Prineville Oregon
First Name
John
Last Name
Carney
There is so much area there. You can almost go to Oregon on back roads. Going to lake pillsbury as a starting point is a good start. Basically 101 noth to Ukiah. Fill up with fuel there. Take 101 to hwy 20 east. Frome there take the potter valley turn off to lake pillsbury. Get a forest service map. Then explore that area. I think you should be able to get over to I5 via forest service roads to stonyford. Carry extra fuel. Carry lots of it. Fill up every chance you get. I have not been in that area for years you might be able to get fuel in potter valley

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Don’t bite off more than you can chew in Hollister. From SJ that’s a home same day trip. If you are looking for overnight trips head to the Sierras. Not terrible far. Plenty of space. Loads of forest roads and dispersed camping.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Rigged For Adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area
Don’t bite off more than you can chew in Hollister. From SJ that’s a home same day trip. If you are looking for overnight trips head to the Sierras. Not terrible far. Plenty of space. Loads of forest roads and dispersed camping.
Sierras seems a lot of fun. Definitely have that on he destination list.

Hollister isn't too far at all. I've been to the Renaissance Faire and back the same day. That faire was awesome! Check it out if you guys haven't.

goonlander

Rank 0
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasanton, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Czeszynski
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVZ
I went up to Genova Peak this weekend. The trail is pretty easy and I managed just fine in a stock 3rd gen 4runner. The views are amazing. If you are running the trail from Kingsbury Grade the first entrance to Genova Peak is the more technical one and the second entrance is the easy one.
IMG_9411.JPG

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Hollister is a great place for the beginners to advance, been there many times and makes the perfect day trip. I might be heading up there next week to test my new front gears.

This was shot on the peak of Hollister on my last trip there.

DSC_0225.jpg

Last edited:

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I went up to Genova Peak this weekend. The trail is pretty easy and I managed just fine in a stock 3rd gen 4runner. The views are amazing. If you are running the trail from Kingsbury Grade the first entrance to Genova Peak is the more technical one and the second entrance is the easy one.
The views alone might warrant a trip up there. Any details on how to access? Thx

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

For my first outing I'm going to go to the Lake Tahoe area. It's beautiful up there especially when it snows. Although I've never done any trail in fresh powder.
Nice bumper you got, is it a coastal? seen the bumper design on their youtube channel, was thinking of replacing my current for their bumper cause of the slim design. Your rig is on its way to great places.

Last edited:

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Since we all in Bay Area, we should do a Hollister run together sometime? or Frank Raines if you want more challenging trails.

Here is a short video of Frank Raines one of my friends took.

Photo of us coming down ones of the trails.

IMG_1557.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

Rigged For Adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area
Frank Raines looks funs. Thinking of doing a day trip there instead of Hollister since it's a bit closer.

This this will be my first off-road/wheeling adventure, what do you guys recommend I bring with me on my first trip?

I'm only outfitted with a 4.5" lift on 33s right now. I doubt I'll need extra gas. I don't have a winch just yet, but I don't plan on going on any hard-rated trails. Don't have rock sliders either, but again I don't plan on getting too technical. Just want to get out there and test my new suspension.

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Bring another person in case you get in trouble, but usually a lot of people around.

Frank Raines has all sort of challenges but with out sliders stay away from rock climbs, lots of ruts in trails up and down so take it slow.

Also I think FR is closed from June to October due to fire control. so check before you go.

Last edited:

Rigged For Adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area
I definitely would love to bring a buddy on the trail, but unfortunately none of my friends have off-road vehicles. Since I'll most likely be going alone (gf + dog in Jeep) I'll be skipping anything that looks technical. Will be staying purely on dirt roads most of the time.

Bring another person in case you get in trouble, but usually a lot of people around.

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Here is a photo of my rig on edge of disaster at Frank Raines. I popped a bead on my front driver side tire and was teetering rolling over. It gets better lol, my buddy with the 4runner above while anchoring me he lost his brakes and I had to full blast down the hill with popped bead.

IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boort