Recently purchased Fj cruiser

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

I have recently purchased a 2007 Fj cruiser to help coerce the wife into going on some adventures ( she hates my 92 yj lol ) and I just was wondering what other fj owners would recommend to upgrade the cruiser

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

It really depends on what you want to do with it. You can go many places stock.... or outfit it to do some hardcore rock crawling.... and/or anything in between.

Give us an idea of what "going on some adventures" means to you.

Congrats btw and welcome!
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I would go with a simple suspension lift and toss on some good all-terrain tires (285's) and then get out there.

I would not start throwing mods onto the FJ first.... get out and see what you may need first. Like if you are in situations where you may be getting stuck a lot yourself.... look into traction mats or if you want a winch look at either the "hidden" winch or start looking at bumpers.

If you foresee getting a steel front bumper and winch though make sure you get a suspension setup that matches the weight that you will be putting on the FJ... nothing worse than having the FJ feel big and bloated because your suspension isn't matched to the weight.

The mods are endless... take your time and research if something is necessary. Sales come up all the time so don't rush into anything.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
First thing if you haven't already, baseline all the fluids and service to make sure when you do go back-country that you're confident that it will get you back. How's the battery? Original? Time to replace it.
You are close to some of the best country on the planet, so much to do from soft-roading to hard-core. Decide what you and tourbwife can enjoy together and take the car there one mod at a time. Enjoy as you go. And keep your fj in good shape, it'll hold its value for a long time since they're not making them anymore.
G'luck, Dan.

Reactions: Winterpeg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Tires, basic recovery tools and equipment. Go drive it with someone else as stock as possible and see what it can do. In 3 years I have done the following:

- Better Tires and replacing them again soon Cooper STT Pro vs AT/3. I still run stock size -5 on cool factor and -1 on actual difference when off-roading. I'm not a fan of the leveling kits but plenty of folks use them.

- Expedition One front bumper with a Smittybilt Winch with synthetic line
- Old Man Emu suspension with heavy springs (I tow a trailer as well) 2.5" lift
- Dual Ham radios and CB (Yeah I'm silly)
- Lots of added USB ports to charge stuff that I probably don't need
- ARB and now Indel B 51 fridge with dual hot 12 volt plugs in the back on my FJ
- Warrior Flat Roof rack
- 7 Pin connector for my trailer
- BlueSea fuse block installed by my brake pedal with a custom plate. All accessories run through this instead of the factory wiring)
- Steel skid plates
- Link skid protection
- Treds recovery boards
- Hi-Lift Jack 48"
- X2/Northstar Group 27 battery from Batteries Plus
- Solar! Portable but keeps things powered when camping 100 watt and 60 watt rollout panel
- Ram Mounts for iPad, phone and Delorme Inreach iPad mount is in the dash and yes you have to drill some holes.
- Too many stickers

Used to have a dual battery setup and ditched it.

Things that may happen in the future:
- Expedition One rear bumper with swing out for tire and accessories
- Snorkel
- Additional lighting

Oh and congrats on the purchase!

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Welcome to the FJ family! Just get out and see what you like to do. This will drive your purchasing choices. I would recommend some basic recovery gear, no matter what you like to do you will need it anyways.

The key--HAVE FUN!

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

As everyone has said it all depends on your wants and what you plan to do with it.

Fwiw Springtail Solutions makes a lot of storage solutions for the FJ and I used their stuff in my old FJ. It's excellent quality and helped a lot for mounting storage and ham radio etc.

Have fun with it!