Receiver winch vs front mount

• HTML tutorial

Mdyk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Las Vegas
Member #

I think I originally posted this in the gear section and realized it should be in Q and A.

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking into winch options and started thinking about just adding a high clearance 2" receiver to the front of my 2016 taco. I plan on getting a receiver mounted winch that I could switch from front to back as needed or remove the winch entirely when using the truck as my daily driver. Does any one have experience with receiver mounted winches. Any drawbacks to this plan I might be overlooking?

Thanks,
Mark

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

About the only issue I could imagine (not having ever used one) is pulling at an angle.

Any time I'm winching it's never a straight ahead pull. It's almost always a tree off to the side of a trail. So I would think that using the receiver type would be a weakness.

Having said that, if it's more of an emergency recovery thing, you can probably get away with it.

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I've got this setup on my 02 taco. Didn't want to invest $3k into bumpers on a 2WD truck, but needed recovery options. I've got a Ramsey cradle/winch that I can now put on either side. Haven't got so stuck I need to use it, but I am confident in it.

-Chris
OB# 3276
CP TACO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denvar
Member #

I'm wondering about the same thing. During my research I found Curt front receiver hitch for F150 is only rated for 5000 lbs. and the tongue weight capacity is only 500 lbs. Obviously, there might be some problems mounting a 10k-12k winch to it. It'd be less of a problem for taco cause it weight less, but still...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using OB Talk mobile app

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

The 1st thing that comes to mind is how do you mount it when your bumper is up against a rock, ledge, tree or another tricky spot that you may not have the clearance to attach an external winch decreasing your approach angle?

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

The 1st thing that comes to mind is how do you mount it when your bumper is up against a rock, ledge, tree or another tricky spot that you may not have the clearance to attach an external winch decreasing your approach angle?
For me: Mount it to the opposite side, winch away. Or more likely, get a yank out of that jam.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

In addition to pull angle and ground clearance limitatioms, also keep in mind that with the cradle it will weigh like 120lbs. It might not be particularly fun or safe trying to carry that into a mud bog or up and down the rocks that got you stuck.

I would honestly get a hi-lift, a winching kit, and some decent hard points for your rig and you will be able to get out of jist about amything. A come-along would be also safer.

Reactions: 1derer

Levidale

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Gardendale Texas
Member #

I've thought about doing this but I don't want to lose the clearance. I wheel by myself sometimes and would like to get unstuck if I got stuck.