Rebuilding my dad's Hummer H1... for it's next adventures.

• HTML tutorial

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
It looks like the H1 landed on its roof! Is that the case? Man that looks like a ways from the rocks behind it.. helluva design to not crumple up. As one who has never been to Moab, how far of a drop was that?
It was about 25 ft straight down onto the nose of the truck. The winch housing, which is attached to the front of the frame took the entire impact. From the nose plant it tumbled onto its roof. It did bend the frame because of that but the rest of the truck didn't get so hammered. There as a Factor 55 tow hitch imprint stampped into the road where it landed.

Reactions: MazeVX

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Decided to put in a completely new transmission. It was the oldest part of the drive train. The engine was replaced around the 100K mile mark. So now the engine is the only part of the drive train with more than a few hundred miles on it. It looks so clean! That won't last long.

IMG_7544.JPGIMG_7545.JPG

Reactions: ZRex

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Ho.

Lee.

Shiznit!!!!

This is the coolest build thread of all time! And it's all got to do with Dad (and a cool rig, but...Dad!) and his adventure.

I can't help but think about the original windshield... Hopefully you still have it and it's proudly displayed on your shop/garage wall...? His adventure needs to be remembered on your rig. Maybe a smaller duplicate decal for the rear or side?

This was so cool & fun to read through! I'm guessing you spent as much on this build as I've earned in my almost 50 years of employment... (needless to say, I'm not looking for figures, I'm just trying to imagine how it's done.)

You should be proud. I can tell just by the pics & video, your son is impressed. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
You should be proud. I can tell just by the pics & video, your son is impressed. :sunglasses:

Thanks!!

This has been an excellent family project. I hope to spend a bunch of time and a bunch of trips with my son in my dad's truck. That will be worth the money... that's what it's for if you're blessed enough to have it.

I framed the windshield for my dad. He can't drive any more but he still loves his truck and his trip! I'm not done yet... so yes I'm going to put some decals on the truck to commemorate his adventures across north and south america.

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Looks like a great project and I am sure it will be just as good as when your father was driving it. Keep up the great work and thanks for posting,

Vince
Noticed your special forces emblem. My dad was in the 5th Special Forces Group in the early 70's. I can barely remember Fort Bragg but I remember going to watch my dad jump out of helicopters before I was 5. That was a long time ago now.