Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thanks! I'm going to be building some new doors here in a few weeks. It's too cold outside, so I'll be cutting outside, then bringing the doors into the basement for glue and epoxy.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
After doing a ton of research, I found out you can seal the edges of the plywood using titebond 3 glue. ALOT of people use it to do what's called "poor man's fiberglass".

So last weekend, I started sealing all the edges of the plywood using titebond.

I basically have the back side of the trailer, around the inside of the door cutouts, and the bottom egde left to seal.

Once that's done, I get to work on skinning it.

If I have enough time this weekend to start skinning, I will. Otherwise, it'll be two weeks before that can happen, as I'm going to Washington next weekend.

Reactions: M Rose

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Looks beefy and sturdy! Nice. Any worries of weight?
Maybe pulling it behind the Xterra, but I'm planning on using the frontier to pull it.

I may take it to a scale once it's done to see how much it ways. I'm guessing just shy of 2k.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Maybe pulling it behind the Xterra, but I'm planning on using the frontier to pull it.

I may take it to a scale once it's done to see how much it ways. I'm guessing just shy of 2k.
I used a bathroom scale and a lever to weigh my teardrop. About 1400#.

• Haha
Reactions: reaver

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Spent the last few weekends getting the edges of all the plywood sealed up. I finished that yesterday. This morning, I went to Lowe's and picked up some FRP boards for the skin, a couple of 1x2s, and some 1/2in aluminum angle.

I spent all day getting the front, top, and back skinned. I also figured out where all the lights are going to go, and got the holes drilled for those.

Hoping I can get the sides on tomorrow, and all the edges of the panels sealed with sikaflex.

I also started figuring out how I'm going to seal the doors. I think I've got a pretty good plan for that.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
This is pretty amazing. Can’t wait to see the final project.
Thanks! It's its really starting to come together!

There's still a LONG way to go though. I'll need to wire up the lights, build my exterior switch box (more on that later), get my 10gal water tank in, and tubing run to the faucet, and build a fridge slide.

I'm also starting to think about what I'm going to paint it with. I'm leaning towards roll on bedliner. With the edges of the wood sealed, and the frp panels on top of the wood, I think the chances of bubbling or out gassing of the wood through the bedliner would be pretty minimal.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks! It's its really starting to come together!

There's still a LONG way to go though. I'll need to wire up the lights, build my exterior switch box (more on that later), get my 10gal water tank in, and tubing run to the faucet, and build a fridge slide.

I'm also starting to think about what I'm going to paint it with. I'm leaning towards roll on bedliner. With the edges of the wood sealed, and the frp panels on top of the wood, I think the chances of bubbling or out gassing of the wood through the bedliner would be pretty minimal.
How are you planning to keep moisture from between the wood and the FRP? Why not just fiberglass and paint it directly?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
How are you planning to keep moisture from between the wood and the FRP? Why not just fiberglass and paint it directly?
So, the plan there is to seal all the way around the frp with sikaflex.

This should give me adequate protection for the wood.

Reactions: Sparksalot

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Finished getting all the panel lung on the outer walls today, and got all the edges of the box completely sealed with sikaflex. It's not pretty yet, but all the edges will be trimmed with aluminum to hide the sealant, after its all painted.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So, I took next week off, in order to get this thing finished.

Here's what needs to get done next week.

Build the side doors
Skin doors with frp
Cut and install latches on all new doors
Seal the door edges
Paint the trailer
install aluminum edge trim
Install and wire up lights
Install tongue box
Install superstrut roof rails
Build dividers and shelves for the kitchen box.

Mount power and water boxes on the exterior of the trailer.

Install electrical system.

Speaking of the water box..... I finished CAD work for how the faucet and switch fit in the box tonight.

• Love
Reactions: Shahn and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m excited for you Brian… this is going to be such a meet trailer, and a huge addition for your family adventures.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Thanks! I'm excited to get it to a point where I can use it. But it's close enough that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Durabak 18 paint has been ordered. It's going to be painted a sand color.

I'll be ordering the wiring harness to hook up the 20A dc-dc charger today. As well as figuring out what else I need to get to make this thing usable.

Reactions: Ubiety

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Just ordered everything I need to finish the trailer, with the exception of the battery, and a solar charger.

List of parts inbound:

1 Gal Durabak 18 paint in Sand color

15ft ea Red/Black 8AWG marine wire
battery lug crimper/cutter
Renogy battery monitor
fuse block
negative bus bar
relay box
wiring harness for the frontier to connect the DC-DC charger to the truck via a 3-way anderson plug

I'm also planning on installing the Auxbeam switch box into the truck at the same time I install the DC-DC harness.

Things I already have to install next week:

Latches for all the doors
Tail lights/side marker lights
superstrut roof rails
2in x 2in galvanized steel rack crossbeams

things I will be picking up locally:

1in aluminum angle for corner trim
HF tongue box

Anybody wanna come and help with all this?? :sweatsmile:

Reactions: Shahn

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Finished getting all the panel lung on the outer walls today, and got all the edges of the box completely sealed with sikaflex. It's not pretty yet, but all the edges will be trimmed with aluminum to hide the sealant, after its all painted.

This is one of those units I'd love to camp beside and share a few beers while talking how we got started...

53473653_10212376836847799_6096458566296666112_n.jpeg