Reasonable Expectations for 2.5L Jeep

• HTML tutorial

Arod1243

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey everyone! Just getting into overlanding and recently picked up a 97' Jeep Wrangler. I got a super good deal on it, however it is the 2.5L motor rather than the 4.0L most people use for off-roading type activities. My question is, 'What are reasonable expectations to have with a 2.5L 4-cylinder motor?' I have plans to lift the thing, tires, all the goodies, etc. However, I do not want to push it beyond what it is capable of. I would not want to spend a ton of money on equipment if I would be limited by the motor. Any information would help! Thanks all and excited to get involved in this community!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I wheeled all over Colorado in an XJ with a 2.5L. Never was at a loss for power offroad, but pulling the mountain passes got a bit slow when fully loaded. I loved getting 25mpg+.

Arod1243

Rank 0

Contributor I

I wheeled all over Colorado in an XJ with a 2.5L. Never was at a loss for power offroad, but pulling the mountain passes got a bit slow when fully loaded. I loved getting 25mpg+.
Yea the gas mileage was definitely a big reason I went 2.5 (besides the price)! How intense offroad were you able to manage?

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have run my 2.5L all around Colorado. The little worn out motor had plenty of power as long as I didn't try to maintain 55mph (ok, maybe 45) over any passes. It does struggle at interstate speeds, but I can run 75mph down the highway in Kansas if I am willing to shift a lot. This truck is throttle body injected which is even more lethargic than the muli-point injection that Chrysler introduced in 1991. I only average 20mpg.
IMAG0032_1.JPG

The 2.5L predates the 4.0L. Both motors share several common components and the 2.5L is known to be just as reliable as the 4.0L. IMHO the weakest link in a vehicle with a 2.5L is not the motor, it's the AX-5 transmission (which really isn't a problem behind a stock 2.5L).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Arod1243

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have run my 2.5L all around Colorado. The little worn out motor had plenty of power as long as I didn't try to maintain 55mph (ok, maybe 45) over any passes. It does struggle at interstate speeds, but I can run 75mph down the highway in Kansas if I am willing to shift a lot. This truck is throttle body injected which is even more lethargic than the muli-point injection that Chrysler introduced in 1991. I only average 20mpg.
View attachment 97205
Awesome to hear! And actually the one I picked up has a brand new crate motor in it. Only has about 150 miles on the motor so far! Thanks for the info!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Great Jeep! If you run big tires, you are going to need deeper gearing. Same with any added weight! Keep it as simple and light as possible. It is fun after a hard trail and everyone is looking over the vehicles and see you did it with a 4 cylinder motor! In JP Magazine, one of the staff have a TJ with a 4 cylinder, named “Stink Ray.” You can go to the Fourwheeler network, online and read articles on what was done and why with that Jeep. Vance.

Arod1243

Rank 0

Contributor I

Great Jeep! If you run big tires, you are going to need deeper gearing. Same with any added weight! Keep it as simple and light as possible. It is fun after a hard trail and everyone is looking over the vehicles and see you did it with a 4 cylinder motor! In JP Magazine, one of the staff have a TJ with a 4 cylinder, named “Stink Ray.” You can go to the Fourwheeler network, online and read articles on what was done and why with that Jeep. Vance.
I am starting out with just a 2.5in lift and 32's. If I get into situations where I need more clearance, then I'll go 4in with 35's and re-gear! I am having a hard time finding that 'Stink Ray' jeep you are talking about. Do you happen to have a link?

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Arod1243,
I will look it up today! If you go to FourWheelernetwork.com and use the search function, put in Shrink Ray, it will come up! Thank you, Apple for the auto correct!! Vance!

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Just gear it appropriately and youll be good. Honestly theres an often overlooked benefit to lower power engines, even with bigger tires, youll break less stuff. I have wheeled hard on both sides of the spectrum (had a 1980 Isuzu pumping out maybe 100hp, after a fair bit of engine work (stock was 85). And I ran an F150 with a built 300-6 that was producing 220hp and 350lb ft) and there were many times where the lower HP rig had far less issues. Sometimes when you dont have enough power to spin the wheels the rig has no choice but to crawl through, lol.
And honestly, even with those 32s youll want to re gear it.

Last edited: