Rear Leaf Upgrade

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Oxford, MI, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Smith
Hello from a beginner- just starting to gear up my truck and was wondering if I’ll need a rear leaf spring upgrade to handle the extra weight of my RTT and rack? Also planning on installing a “decked” system of drawers in the bed. Truck is a ‘21 Tacoma TRD Pro. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Kozysnack

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

I'd start by weighing the truck, get a front/rear/gross weight. Now you know where you're starting. Look at the sticker in the door jamb and see what your gross and axle ratings are. Subtract the actual weight from the GVWR/GAWR. That's what you have to work with.

Consider the weight of the accessories you want. Does that fit within the numbers? You're good to go. At this point I'd install everything, load whatever you want to take, fill the gas, water, etc., and whoever you want to take with you. Weigh it again to get your real operational weight.

Now if you're pretty heavy, you will lose some suspension travel. That's where you need to start beefing up springs.

Short answer, yeah, you need heavier springs. Smart answer, figure out what you got so you can get the right springs.

Hope this helps!

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I had a gen2 Tacoma, and I tried an AAL and was still under sprung, I changed to a new leaf pack from All Pro and I always felt over sprung.
I think a little sag at full load is better than being too stiff!
Best practice is to wait until you have all permanent weight in and then see what you need.
I'm now in a 2020 4runner and am currently running stock springs w/1" coil spacers at all 4 corners [just couldn't resist raising it a little!]
I really don't want to ruin the ride quality, and I'm being more deliberate about keeping the weight down this time.

Camguti

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Gutierrez
Member #

Hey @Cocktail Sherpa,

I’d snag a pair of Deaver leafs - stage 2.
The add-a-leaf that someone suggested is a good short term solution. Icon RXT leaves are good too. Weighing your rig fully loaded will prevent you from buying things twice. CAT scales are cheap and they have an app to make it super easy.

I’ve ran an Icon RXT-stage 3 for a year, and now I have a Deaver-Stage 2. Blew my Icons because I was being stupid; they are still a great spring. My 2017 Tacoma is
loaded with a Rooftop tent, RCI bed rack, farm jack, camp gear, and I used to have an ARB drawer system.

Good luck

Reactions: MMc

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I'm in a 19 TRD-OR. I added an AAL on my rear and airbags to help me level/help with any additional sag. I'm glad I have the bags as the AAL was not enough by itself when I'm fully loaded. I'll be upgrading the rear springs once I get the rear bumper replaced.

If you plan on lifting the truck at all you'll want to get some new springs IMO.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Once you figure out the full weight figure get progressive springs, you wind with 9 to 12 springs instead of 4 or 5. those springs adjust to the weight you are running better. The end game is you run comfortable at full, half or light weight, you mite add a 1" or 2" to the height empty. Best thing I did for the ride of my truck.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

adv.fam.4

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Parker, Colorado, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Shorley
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Leaf's help. Bags help even more! You could also try bags and see how it does. If you continue to build the truck you'll need bags either way...

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Leaf's help. Bags help even more! You could also try bags and see how it does. If you continue to build the truck you'll need bags either way...
I'm also a fan of bags. Highly tunable as weight comes and goes off your rig. Also if you have a RTT you can balance your rig if you set them up correctly.

Contributor I

Oxford, MI, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Smith
Thanks to everyone for the insight. For now I’m going to get kitted up and see how it rides/sits. I like the idea of the bags as I can add/subtract air depending on my the weight of my load, so I’ll likely go that route if needed. Updates in the spring- cheers!

Reactions: adv.fam.4