Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I’m definitely not trying to start another “What is ‘Overlanding?’” thread, so let’s not go there.

But humor me, please.

I’m looking for advice from those who’ve been out for extended periods.

When I think of what I really want to do I think of being off pavement going from A to B without resupply for an extended time. Granted, in the western US you have to make an effort to travel very far without hitting a town!

How many days out for two people without resupply would you consider a realistic goal?

Thanks

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

For myself - 2 weeks.

There are a couple of books out there that cover this aspect - the amount of fuel, food, spare parts and so on. The trickiest is the fuel - at least for me. If I'm going from point A to point B, spend a day or two, and then go from B to C, spend a day or two and so on - 2 weeks. I like to go from one spot to another and spend a few days at each and limit my drive time to save on fuel. A large portion of storage would be taken up by jerry cans.

The two main books are:

'Vehicle-dependant Expedition Guide' by Tom Sheppard and

'The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada' by TeriAnn Wakeman

Another one is 'Working in the Wild: Land Rover's Manual for Africa'. Don't let the title put you off. Basically, if you can travel 'vehicle-dependant' in Africa you can do the same just about anywhere.

Last edited:

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Honestly, Id say it is more about how long you intend to stay somewhere than how likely it is you will not pass a convenience store somewhere along your route. So, getting basic food and water on any long-duration trip isn't usually a hassle, but if your goal is to stay away from people and not have to drive the [10 / 25 / 50] miles into town to grab more food or ice or beer, then you have to start considering storage and fridges (and solar).

Reactions: Correus and RedRob

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Honestly, Id say it is more about how long you intend to stay somewhere than how likely it is you will not pass a convenience store somewhere along your route. So, getting basic food and water on any long-duration trip isn't usually a hassle, but if your goal is to stay away from people and not have to drive the [10 / 25 / 50] miles into town to grab more food or ice or beer, then you have to start considering storage and fridges (and solar).
If no fridges there's the option of freeze dried, canned and such. Think along the lines of MREs.

Something that stymies me is the need for electronic items, such as coolers, fridges and freezers. Don't get me wrong, I think they are good products and easy to use, but I also like alternative, think-outside-the-box type things as well. For example, there are various types of non-electrical fridges out there developed for 3rd world countries in Africa, South America and India (is India actually a 3rd world country still?). First one that comes to mind is the mitticool refrigerator. Last I knew it was less than $100. Not sure how it compares to an electrical one though.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

If no fridges there's the option of freeze dried, canned and such. Think along the lines of MREs.

Something that stymies me is the need for electronic items, such as coolers, fridges and freezers. Don't get me wrong, I think they are good products and easy to use, but I also like alternative, think-outside-the-box type things as well. For example, there are various types of non-electrical fridges out there developed for 3rd world countries in Africa, South America and India (is India actually a 3rd world country still?). First one that comes to mind is the mitticool refrigerator. Last I knew it was less than $100. Not sure how it compares to an electrical one though.
Heh, oh yeah. I used to be a huge minimalist hiker / bikepacker. I would routinely do 24-hour trips with a 15lb pack that included over a gallon of water and ~3000 calories of food.

But, I now have to kinda keep loved ones in mind, who may not be quite as steadfast in my minimalist committments (60 degrees under the stars with just a wool blanket does get cold, haha).