Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Paducah, KY, USA
First Name
Jackie
Last Name
Barker
Well, the day has come. The rear diff is going bad on my 3rd gen 4Runner with 230k miles on it. It has 285/75/16s on it. It’s a pleasure truck, not a daily. I swore years back if the diff ever gave up I would regear to 4.88s. It’s mainly a local camping truck and pulls the SoCal teardrop. Averaged 5k miles a year for the past 10 years. Pulls the camper 400 miles or so to the mountains of North Carolina two or three times a year. Does some mild offroading and forest service roads. Now, our forest service roads are crappy at best. Big mud holes and ruts. So, that’s the story of how it’s used. We also have a 2004 V8 4Runner that obviously tows the camper better. We have been using it for the longer trips. It’s bone stock and the XReas shocks are toast. It is the daily for the wife and will not go near any mud or ruts at this time. She doesn’t even like it on gravel. She thinks she would like to have a bit of lift and one size over on tires. It is way more comfortable to travel in than the 3rd gen, but I actually had rather drive the 3rd gen. I just like it better. Now, all that said, I can replace just the rear diff from East Coast Gear Supply for roughly $800. Or regear to 4.88, add a limited slip and of course the front diff for roughly $2000. I’m torn if I really want to spend 2 grand or just fix what’s broke and then replace the shocks on the 4th gen and ditch the XReas. Maybe not lift it but just upgrade, but still run an AT tire one size over stock. Just not sure I want to spend $2k on a rig that spends the biggest part of its life in the driveway. Open to any discussion.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
$2k ain't much. I'm budgeting $4000 for 4.88 gears and another locker for my F250. I estimate it'll fall around $3000.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
About 2k to regear the Toyo is still a great bang for the buck. Makes a big difference, since it's not your daily you could go 5.30's, that seems to be popular on the Toyo forums.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'd quote it with a local shop. Why pay for another 3rd member and shipping if you don't have to. Gears and bearings are a few hundred bucks plus labor and oil. I assume you don't have a factory locker so pick something out if you wish. Should end up being cheaper than 2k.

Also, 4.56-4.88 is a nice range. Some say the deeper the better, but you hit a state of diminishing returns for a street rig.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and M Rose

4runnerteq

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Paducah, KY, USA
First Name
Jackie
Last Name
Barker
For 5,000 miles per year, the only logical option is shocks and tires for Momma plus the $800 diff replacement. But what does logic have to do with this? I sure do like my 4.88's with front and rear lockers on my Taco.
Yeah. My logical mind says this is the right thing to do. Would it be nice? Yes. But, little to zero real benefit. I could get from stop light to stop light a little quicker.I think I get it back to stock for now. Get the 04 upgraded a tad then if things change later just have the gears changed. I dont really see the value of a complete regear at this time.

Reactions: justjames