Real South African Biltong...

• HTML tutorial

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

Biltong is a South African culture, not just a piece of dried meat. Biltong is South Africa an South Africa is biltong. It is an air cured meat marinated in vinegar and spices. (Similar to Amirican jerky, only better. Many different types of meat are used ranging from beef through game meats and ostrich.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 kg meat
  • 100 ml brown sugar
  • 30 ml coarse salt
  • 15ml bicarbonate soda (this softens the meat)
  • 125ml crushed coriander seeds
  • 125 ml red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
  • 1 tblsp paprika or chilli flakes
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Use a good quality meat like silverside or topside
  2. Slice the meat, with the grain into 1cm thick x 2cm wide strips and about 20cm in length and rub thoroughly with the vinegar.
  3. Mix the salt, sugar, crushed coriander seeds, bicarbarbonate of soda, black pepper and paprika together in a bowl to form a rubbing mixture.
  4. Rub the spice mixture into the pieces of meat.
  5. Take a glass or stainless steel container and layer the meat, making sure the the thicker pieces are at the bottom.
  6. Cover the container with cling film and refrigerate for about 12 hrs mixing every couple of hours so that the meat flavours evenly.
  7. Hang up to dry in a well ventilated spot.
  8. Biltong Machines for home use work very well.
  9. Drying time is about 4-5 days, depending on the weather, and your personal preference.
Air dry the meat in either a biltong box (will post a link soon), Cover in netting and hang in the garage or behind the fridge. Be careful not to over dry.

Hope you enjoy!!!!

biltong.jpg day07_cut.jpg biltong-box.jpg

Coming soon: Boere wors. A beef sausage mage for braaing (grilling) on fire.
Droë Wors. A air cured sausage.

Please let me know what you think.

Jason Mainville

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Interesting! I have made biltong before and loved it! the recipe was a little different then this but I am excited to taste the difference. The summers here in the American Southwest are great for making biltong. Also venison and elk are greats meats to use as well! Thank you for sharing!
Jason

Reactions: Jorrie

interscope8

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lafayette IN
Member #

My stepfather is from Johannesburg and for one of his birthday's my mom had a bunch of meat from South Africa shipped over and we had all sorts of awesome stuff! Biltong was there and he cooked Droewors (spelling?) on the grille with a cool homemade bbq sauce he only called Monkey Gland sauce and that was by far one of the best things I've ever had.

Sauce was ketchup based, sweet and tangy. Will have to find the recipe.

Last edited:

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

My stepfather is from Johannesburg and for one of his birthday's my mom had a bunch of meat from South Africa shipped over and we had all sorts of awesome stuff! Biltong was there and he cooked Droewors (spelling?) on the grille with a cool homemade bbq sauce he only called Monkey Gland sauce and that was by far one of the best things I've ever had.

Sauce was ketchup based, sweet and tangy. Will have to find the recipe.
Thats aswsome..