Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Dear OB mates
I want to travel across both Americas and got to consider two options:
- Send my rig to USA
- Import off-road vehicle to USA, register it and drive around on US plates
- Buy the rig in USA

Thus I want to ask You how it is really with 25 year and older car import to US.
Could any one explain if american citizen may import old rig and register it legally, after that modify it for Overlanding purpose?

I know that US overlanders do so with G-klass, Unimogs or Pinzgauers. how does it work?
Regards
Ralph

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Dear OB mates
- Send my rig to USA
- Buy the rig in USA

Thus I want to ask You how it is really with 25 year and older car import to US.
Could any one explain if american citizen may import old rig and register it legally, after that modify it for Overlanding purpose?

I know that US overlanders do so with G-klass, Unimogs or Pinzgauers. how does it work?
Regards
Ralph
Trying to send a European Vehicle to the US to be registered as a US rig sucks. I don’t know anything about keeping the registration in the originating country thoug. Probably best to contact a Department of Motor Vehicles in the sate the car will be landing in America to find out all the laws around it.

Reactions: Ralph

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Thank you >Slimpartywagon<
I know US have some regulations according older cars. Looks like the most reliable models comes into this age (when did it happen ;-)
My concern is only if the owner of vehicle imported in that way has right to make any changes in it....
Might be that those regulations are for historical and heritage purposes. Then I doubt one could lift it and make an overland vehicle out of 90's TOYOTA, PATROL or PINZGAUER.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you >Slimpartywagon<
I know US have some regulations according older cars. Looks like the most reliable models comes into this age (when did it happen ;-)
My concern is only if the owner of vehicle imported in that way has right to make any changes in it....
Might me that those regulations are for historical and heritage purposes. Then I doubt one could lift it and make an overland vehicle out of 90's TOYOTA, PATROL or PINZGAUER.
I don’t see why not, again a question for customs and the department of motor vehicles

ajbell

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Cornelius, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UGY
You can import and register a 25 year old vehicle into the US permanently but it has to be in its Original form. So it should have its original engine and chassis. Or you can get a temporary import if you are only bringing it here for a limited time period. Have a google search on importing a land rover defender into the US as that is a vehicle that I know is regularly imported

Sockmonkey

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ohio
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Prehoda
Member #

You can import and register a 25 year old vehicle into the US permanently but it has to be in its Original form. So it should have its original engine and chassis. Or you can get a temporary import if you are only bringing it here for a limited time period. Have a google search on importing a land rover defender into the US as that is a vehicle that I know is regularly imported
You are correct about the temporary registration for a European or Asian market vehicle. From what I have heard you would keep all of your registration from the original country and basically you would have Visa for the vehicle. How long you could have the registration is unknown to me. The other thing that would worry me for a overland style vehicle is spare parts or the scarcity of said parts.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I have no experience in importing vehicles, but another thing to think about is where to register it for smog and inspection reasons. Smog and safety inspections can vary greatly by state/county/city. I would think there is an initial inspection when bringing it into the country but after that if it was registered in a rural area of a state with loose laws you could avoid some inspections once you begin to modify it. Just my thoughts on it, but like I say I have no experience so you're best bet is talk to someone that's done it.

• Love

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I would contact one of the places in the US that already imports 25yr old Land Cruisers or similar. Tell them what you're planning and ask your questions. At the least you'll find out a lot about the process and details. At the best you might find just the vehicle for you.

Here's a simple google search for "landcruiser import" with some great results of both import companies and articles on how to import:

• Love

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Thanks mates.
Very helpful.
I will check and let You know how this goes. I travell once for a while to Palm Beach FL so I'm mostly interested in this State regulations.
Yes, I would import orginal car with factory engine. Actually I intend to purchase it in Philippines due to specification. But after all I need to lift it and make some changes for OVELRLANDING purpose. So You are right: if there is some protection of those historical and specially imported cars - would be pity...

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

I have double checked the subject and this is how it goes.
So short-cut thinking is like - never think of importing a car youger then 21yo. Be very carefull of importing agencies that calim that can do this - IT IS ILLEGAL and Homeland Security agents may just seize Your car if they find out that the chasis is newer - shifted.
The same is if You buy overseas a vehicle fully restored. If You put new or restored body on original chasis - no problem. Bu t if You make Your chasis modernised (frame with numbers, renewed or exchanged suspension/chasis parts) You may be said that Your car is not original any more becouse the level of renovation makes it modern :flushed:
So the best is to take the vehicle as original as possible in age of 25 years old and more. During DOT check and customs check make pictures and copies of docs to have the prove for Yourself and after registration but not before start your OVERLAND modifications.
Aaaa. important is that Your car has original and firstly installed engine - no matter if this is diesel or petrol cause it doesn't go under ETA standarts from 21 yo and older.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Dear OB mates
- Send my rig to USA
- Buy the rig in USA

Regards
Ralph
It really seems like your 3rd option: buying a vehicle in the US would be the easiest and probably most cost-effective choice. That said, I don't know how it works buying and registering a vehicle in the US if you don't have some form of residence and a local license... so it may turn out to be just as much hassle.

You thread title makes me wonder what you consider a "real" Overlander, and what is so "fake" about all of the ones available in the US? I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a more capable and useful Overland rig than a Gladiator Rubicon. If your idea for trails is a bit more hardcore, or you need to stretch fuel stops a bit more, then a getting a diesel JL Rubicon would be an option too. The JL (current Wrangler) and JT (Gladiator) have basically the same platforms from the back cab forward, but different rear suspension designs. Between the suspension differences, the longer wheelbase, and the much larger rear over-hang a Gladiator is slightly less capable than a similarly equipped Wrangler - but either will do more than MOST "Overlanders" would ask of it. And if you really want to go wild the sky is the limit with those platforms and their aftermarket support:

I'm not sure you'll find much "Overlanding" ^^^that^^^ can't do. On a tighter budget (and probably far less than the total costs involved with importing and prepping and old Landy) you could go with a JK (previous generation Wrangler) Unlimited Rubicon. There are zillions of them around, many for sale with tings like nice lifts, wheels, tires, winch etc. and basically ready to go now that people jumped on the new JL/Ts.

There are obviously tons of other options outside of Wranglers and Gladiators that are already here. Various generation Land Cruisers, the FJ40s, RAM Powerwagons and other full-size solid-axle trucks (basically any 3/4-1 ton RAM/Ford trucks), 4x4 vans of all sorts (some OEM, some converted), and even stuff like my lowly WJ ('99-04 Grand Cherokees).

If you simply MUST have a non-US market vehicle, well then you'll have to figure it all out. But if you're not hung up on having something different just to be different, there are plenty of "real" Overlanders here already...

-TJ

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Yeah, I do think the same. There is no clue to drag my own vehicle or the same brand (model) which is not present on US market. I love JEEPs, FORDS, GMCs a lot :hearteyes: and the only thing is that I don't know them at all.
I also have had plenty of discusions with my US mates - wanted to buy modified Patrol untill it is possible to import them legally to USA

And, of course, I did not mention "real overlander car" being not american. Not even a part of this meaning.
More like: if someone wants to import a vehicle which is real overlander what should he do to make it happen.

Thanks for advice. GLADIATOR rules !!!

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

Flying to the US, buying a new vehicle and making changes to support your trip would make for an amazing story... an even better one would be picking up something that was old, making your changes then doing the trip!

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I'd fly here. Buy an old TJ. Use it, dump it, fly home. The cost of importing something will exceed that alone. You'll need valid registration, insurance, and tags. However, there's a ton of people on youtube who have done it. You may want to reach out to Maltec. I know they are trying to get something going in the US. Maybe a good opportunity to work w/ them.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

I'd fly here. Buy an old TJ. Use it, dump it, fly home. The cost of importing something will exceed that alone. You'll need valid registration, insurance, and tags. However, there's a ton of people on youtube who have done it. You may want to reach out to Maltec. I know they are trying to get something going in the US. Maybe a good opportunity to work w/ them.
You are right >diabetiktaco< - but those mates fro YT are importing most expensive cars, like Unimogs, Pinzgeuers or G-wagons. I am focused on Y60 highroof PATROL - I doubt anybody in USA would be interested to buy it modified. Origal and perfect - maybe. but not modified.
Maybe I'm wrong....
As I remember they were never sold in US so there is no aftermarket support for this model.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

You are right >diabetiktaco< - but those mates fro YT are importing most expensive cars, like Unimogs, Pinzgeuers or G-wagons. I am focused on Y60 highroof PATROL - I doubt anybody in USA would be interested to buy it modified. Origal and perfect - maybe. but not modified.
Maybe I'm wrong....
As I remember they were never sold in US so there is no aftermarket support for this model.
I guess it all depends on what you are looking to get out of it. It's weird. My observations have been that modified sports cars don't fetch ANY additional money for mods. However, my rig which would go for about 17,000 stock could probably sell for a lot more than that the way it sits. It seems like in our world the mods (if they are high quality and in good taste) do fetch extra cash. If the patrol could be made street legal, you'd def. sell it.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I guess it all depends on what you are looking to get out of it. It's weird. My observations have been that modified sports cars don't fetch ANY additional money for mods. However, my rig which would go for about 17,000 stock could probably sell for a lot more than that the way it sits. It seems like in our world the mods (if they are high quality and in good taste) do fetch extra cash. If the patrol could be made street legal, you'd def. sell it.
I know a guy who would pay premium for a street legal Patrol, stock or modified.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

My goal is the WAY , not a DESTINATION.
Thus I'm focused on adventure and impression what I'll meet for sure visiting and overlanding your beautiful country and other America's countries too.
The tool to choose for this to happen is more or less on the second plan. Still might be exciting to put on the go some activity that nobody had done yet ;-)

>Slimpartywagon< - Now I guess I am to start new tread: my NISSAN PATROL modifications :tongueout:

Reactions: M Rose

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Can't comment on importing a rig because I have no idea how. If I was traveling to a place where there are vehicles I can't drive in the States I would rather drive one of those. So if you are coming here how about buying something you can't get in Europe. Grab your self an American truck with a truck camper, or if you are looking for somethings cheap choose something like a Ford Ranger, or Nissan Frontier. You could probably get a Ranger, throw on a camper shell, and do some simple mods for under $10000. Plus the Ranger was also built and sold in Argentina if that is your final destination.