Rank I

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Chaperon
Member #

1) Pic—Let's see if I got it to post up. This was our first off-road trip, 2 weeks after we bought our rig. Moab. Freakin' unbelievable. We will be going back. Again and again.IMG_0497.jpeg
2) Location—Houston
3) Rig—2020 JLU Rubicon. Obviously a work in progress, but thus far I've added the Jeep 2 ½" lift, 37" tires, Jeep beadlocks, Jeep tailgate reinforcement kit, Vector Off-Road full JL mount, 2 67 Designs phone holders, 1 GoPro Hero mount, KC spot beams, Jeep mounts, Jeep steel front bumper. Have so far to go...looking to add a Warn winch, some Factor 55 goodies, a rooftop tent (please tell me something less expensive than Tepui's $1,600+ tents), fire extinguisher, Powertank 'cause 40 min to air up 4 37" is ridiculous, some KC floods, extra fuel and water, camping gear, recovery gear, and some more first aid stuff.
4) Overlanding Experience—Novice. But...looking to change that. I want to make sure I get out there safe, properly outfitted, ready for the inevitable problems. Thank goodness for YouTube, I've got plenty of info at my fingertips. That's a big reason why I joined OB, because I want to get out there, but do it right, and skip some common problems. You know, learn by other's mistakes.

Dad, AF veteran, silly, with a free spirit. Smoke cigars, drink Scotch, and enjoy life because I know just how short and fickle this thing is. Hell, none of us are getting out alive so...

Anyways, that's enough for now. I hope to be active—I am active on IG (DV_OFRD) and am starting up a YouTube channel for the hell of it. Cause, you know, nothing but free time. Yea, right.

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

1) Pic—Let's see if I got it to post up. This was our first off-road trip, 2 weeks after we bought our rig. Moab. Freakin' unbelievable. We will be going back. Again and again.View attachment 172758
2) Location—Houston
3) Rig—2020 JLU Rubicon. Obviously a work in progress, but thus far I've added the Jeep 2 ½" lift, 37" tires, Jeep beadlocks, Jeep tailgate reinforcement kit, Vector Off-Road full JL mount, 2 67 Designs phone holders, 1 GoPro Hero mount, KC spot beams, Jeep mounts, Jeep steel front bumper. Have so far to go...looking to add a Warn winch, some Factor 55 goodies, a rooftop tent (please tell me something less expensive than Tepui's $1,600+ tents), fire extinguisher, Powertank 'cause 40 min to air up 4 37" is ridiculous, some KC floods, extra fuel and water, camping gear, recovery gear, and some more first aid stuff.
4) Overlanding Experience—Novice. But...looking to change that. I want to make sure I get out there safe, properly outfitted, ready for the inevitable problems. Thank goodness for YouTube, I've got plenty of info at my fingertips. That's a big reason why I joined OB, because I want to get out there, but do it right, and skip some common problems. You know, learn by other's mistakes.

Dad, AF veteran, silly, with a free spirit. Smoke cigars, drink Scotch, and enjoy life because I know just how short and fickle this thing is. Hell, none of us are getting out alive so...

Anyways, that's enough for now. I hope to be active—I am active on IG (DV_OFRD) and am starting up a YouTube channel for the hell of it. Cause, you know, nothing but free time. Yea, right.
Welcome from NE Oklahoma Alex! That’s about the going rate for a RTT, just remember it will make you top heavy and trails a little more difficult to run but that’s part of the challenge.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Alex, welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. There is a Taco Tuesday Truck talk meet up in NE Houston.
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Reactions: jchaperon

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
1) Pic—Let's see if I got it to post up. This was our first off-road trip, 2 weeks after we bought our rig. Moab. Freakin' unbelievable. We will be going back. Again and again.View attachment 172758
2) Location—Houston

Welcome to Overland Bound
Great looking JL
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

jchaperon

Rank I

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Chaperon
Member #

Wow, what an awesome response everyone. I am building out my rig right now, little at a time. I want to add some essentials first, like recovery and safety, then some coms. Dream trips include a Canadian adventure, and PCH to check out some cool spots. I work full-time but as soon as I get some things done, I think I will take my work more predominately on the road.

Check back for updates!

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Welcome from San Antonio Alex. Nice looking Jeep. You're doing it right by gearing up before heading out. Better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it. A suggestion for RTT. I have the Smittybilt, $900. I love it. Good luck with your build. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I joined OB for the same reason, to learn from others, and to not make the same mistakes. You will find a wealth of information here. Great people too.

jchaperon

Rank I

Traveler I

Houston, Texas
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Chaperon
Member #

Welcome from San Antonio Alex. Nice looking Jeep. You're doing it right by gearing up before heading out. Better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it. A suggestion for RTT. I have the Smittybilt, $900. I love it. Good luck with your build. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I joined OB for the same reason, to learn from others, and to not make the same mistakes. You will find a wealth of information here. Great people too.
San Antonio? Which part? I'm from the San Antonio area, grew up and went to HS at Judson. Kids still live there, in college at UTSA. Great to meet you, we should meet up sometime when I'm in town—

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
San Antonio? Which part? I'm from the San Antonio area, grew up and went to HS at Judson. Kids still live there, in college at UTSA. Great to meet you, we should meet up sometime when I'm in town—
I went to Roosevelt. I live on the NW side of town now. Nice to meet you too. That sounds good. Or maybe the other way around. I'd like to drive through Sam Houston NF sometime. Maybe we could set something up.