Toadjingly

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Mitchell
Hello all, I'm about to start my journey into this rabbit hole! I've been looking for a good vehicle to start. What I'd really like to find a 1st gen xterra, and there are several out there, but I ran across a 97 land rover discovery for a good price and relatively low miles for the age. Thoughts on the land rover disco to start a beginner rig?

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hello all, I'm about to start my journey into this rabbit hole! I've been looking for a good vehicle to start. What I'd really like to find a 1st gen xterra, and there are several out there, but I ran across a 97 land rover discovery for a good price and relatively low miles for the age. Thoughts on the land rover disco to start a beginner rig?
Hey there! Welcome!

Regarding your first rig: how mechanically handy are you? Starting with an older rig—especially a LR—will net you a unique vehicle with good capabilities for a comparatively low entry price, but they DO have a repatriation for being maintenance-intensive for a reason!

I’d rather see you get a bit greasy setting up a vehicle you’re passionate about for some cool trips than overspending on a more “reliable” one, but maybe that makes me weird.

Good luck!

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
Both are capable vehicles. I would guess there is more aftermarket support for the Land Rover but they will probably be more costly to work on as for maintenance/repairs. I'm a big fan of Land Rover and like soulverlanding said the discovery is a classic.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

How mechanically inclined are you, and how much do you *enjoy* working on rigs? If the answers aren't "very" and "a lot" respectively, skip the Disco IMHO. And I'm not knocking Discos, to be clear. I actually really love them and still want to do a Disco build "one of these days." I just know it's a vehicle that will take a lot of maintenance and has the potential for costly, catastrophic failures (apparently I'm drawn to such vehicles, as witnessed by my '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ). If you don't have the time, skills, tools and space to be working on it a lot, I think the X is a better choice.

-TJ

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
I love those Disco's, but so does every LandRover mechanic, since you will be enriching them often, and thoroughly... based on my experience watching those around me with them. Hey, I use an Isuzu Trooper, so I am coming from a "can't get parts" world, but the rig has at least been mostly reliable for 210k miles. Nobody in a Disco can say that, even though they look way cooler!

Those XTerra's you're interested in are great, but not the early Gen 1 types: do some google-fu and check out the online forums for trucks you're interested in, before you narrow things down too definitely.

Reactions: RN J

TxRedRunner

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Round Rock, TX, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ5CIN
Welcome! and glad you're joining the family. I can tell you from personal experience as I have owned both vehicles. The gen 1 Xterra is going to be your best bet. As other members pointed out, you will have a lot of issues with the disco. I had mine for 4 years and I can't begin to tell you all the issues I had with it. Out of those 4 years it was probably down a good year with all the issues I had. The Xterra, due to it's age may have a problem here or there, but they will be minor in comparison and much more reliable.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
WELCOME!
I say until you decide and find your rig, (Take your time and find the right one for you, take your time!!!) I say get out in whatever vehicle you have a 2wd smart car can still take you to darn nice places down forest roads or easy trails, just get out is the key!

Good luck on the search,

Jim