Zaroch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Canton, OH, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Smith
Can anyone tell me where I can find rated recovery points for a 1993 GMC Yukon? I looked on arb but they don't seem to have any and I can't find any specific for my rig. All I see is universal ones and they aren't rated from what I saw. Thanks in advance

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
You might also consider a front receiver mount. Based on the link below, they are rated to 9k lbs for a straight line pull on the hitch based on what Curt has on their site. For most typical "Overlanding" type stuff in North America, where recovery is more about risk management (i.e. just in case you get stuck) than it is part of the fun (i.e. let's go do hard trails to get stuck on purpose), that should do the trick.

For more serious off-road where recoveries will be frequent and/or not easy to do "straight pulls" you may want to explore winch bumper options like Boostpowered suggested. I didn't find much for a Yukon but that model year was the GMT400 platform, and the front-ends of the trucks, Suburbans, Blazers, and Yukons are all very similar if not identical so you might have to do some work to make sure, but odds are good that a bumper for a Chevy will bolt right up and fit a GM. Don't take my word for it and do your own measurements and research, but it looks like there's some options out there; for example, ARB make one for the C1500 which I believe shares a platform with your rig.

More info on the platform: GMT400

Chevy-GMC: Blue Lake Off-Road. <--- Never heard of these but they have some options that look to fit.

There might also be custom shops who will build what you need to a spec, but that would likely be the most expensive option.

These folks on this site might have more info on what the interchange options are for recovery points and front bumpers on the GMT400 platform:

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
A front receiver hitch would be the strongest. You could have someone weld a bow shackle mount the the frame. A custom bumper solves the problem but heavy and spendy.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

A front receiver hitch would be the strongest. You could have someone weld a bow shackle mount the the frame. A custom bumper solves the problem but heavy and spendy.
You loose 3 inches of clearance and more than that on breakover angle though.
They are handy and I've done it that way for a winch before, but they really aren't that strong mainly due to the mounting points. They are really only meant to move trailers around easily. Off road they aren't the best thing to have.

If you really want good recovery points don't want a winch bumper and can weld or know someone who can for you id go with some shackle mounts welded to the frame rails.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
You loose 3 inches of clearance and more than that on breakover angle though.
They are handy and I've done it that way for a winch before, but they really aren't that strong mainly due to the mounting points. They are really only meant to move trailers around easily. Off road they aren't the best thing to have.

If you really want good recovery points don't want a winch bumper and can weld or know someone who can for you id go with some shackle mounts welded to the frame rails.
There are front receiver mounts that tie in to the frame rails made specifically for winch mounting. More and more after market suppliers are making frame mounted brackets that take bow shackles. Not every vehicle has suitable mounting points.

How do you decrease breakover angle? I can see it effecting approach angle, just as the rear receiver hitch effects departure angle. Breakover is mostly determined by vehicle wheelbase and ground clearance.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There are front receiver mounts that tie in to the frame rails made specifically for winch mounting. More and more after market suppliers are making frame mounted brackets that take bow shackles. Not every vehicle has suitable mounting points.

How do you decrease breakover angle? I can see it effecting approach angle, just as the rear receiver hitch effects departure angle. Breakover is mostly determined by vehicle wheelbase and ground clearance.
I meant approach angle, all front reciever mounts I know of other than the flat bolt on or weld on one's made for tractor buckets and forklifts attach to the frame rails. I Ran one for a while figuring out what bumper I wanted.
20190622_124509.jpg16151311699355595190251775127498.jpg16151311967197899654342947061906.jpg

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
589Fab used to offer a front mount for the Colorado, not sure if they still have them, another option would be Midwest Overland Ind.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

and they aren't rated from what I saw
I don't think anyone rates recovery points. They might give a generic number tested in a lab but there is far too much liability to state an installed engineered number. Tow hitches are only rated as tow hitches when towing a trailer. Using a hitch as a recovery point is not the use they were designed for. But plenty of after market retailers will definitely give you a verbal thumbs up. I drive a tow truck and none of our equipment is "rated" to recover a specific vehicle, rather the rarings apply to test bench testing or just engineering which applies to a specific parameter.

Stick with brand names. Buy from reputable shops. And understand anything can go wrong in the field.

In your case, a 20 year old design of vehicle pretty rare on the roads today, I cannot imagine a business case where a manufacturer would still be producing specific parts. As others say, look at the similar trucks from the same period..... or shop for used.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

You might also consider a front receiver mount. Based on the link below, they are rated to 9k lbs for a straight line pull on the hitch based on what Curt has on their site. For most typical "Overlanding" type stuff in North America, where recovery is more about risk management (i.e. just in case you get stuck) than it is part of the fun (i.e. let's go do hard trails to get stuck on purpose), that should do the trick.

For more serious off-road where recoveries will be frequent and/or not easy to do "straight pulls" you may want to explore winch bumper options like Boostpowered suggested. I didn't find much for a Yukon but that model year was the GMT400 platform, and the front-ends of the trucks, Suburbans, Blazers, and Yukons are all very similar if not identical so you might have to do some work to make sure, but odds are good that a bumper for a Chevy will bolt right up and fit a GM. Don't take my word for it and do your own measurements and research, but it looks like there's some options out there; for example, ARB make one for the C1500 which I believe shares a platform with your rig.

More info on the platform: GMT400

Chevy-GMC: Blue Lake Off-Road. <--- Never heard of these but they have some options that look to fit.

There might also be custom shops who will build what you need to a spec, but that would likely be the most expensive option.

These folks on this site might have more info on what the interchange options are for recovery points and front bumpers on the GMT400 platform:

Yeah. I'm on the GMT400 site, even though my last one went away a couple years ago. Such a great platform. A good mix of truck, comfort, simplicity and customizability. Those 5.7's dont like to quit

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Zaroch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Canton, OH, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Smith
I already have a bull bar so I'm going to modify and reinforce the stock bumper to put a winch and a couple other things on it