Raptor vs Gladiator

• HTML tutorial

rzncain

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ok ladies and gentleman.

I am fighting an internal battle for a little while now. I have had 2 Raptors and 7 Wranglers in the past. That all being said, the truck in the picture below is mine. I love the space and it tows my side by sides like a dream with power for days, but my love for Jeeps has me looking hard at the Gladiator on a regular basis. I see plenty of guys overlanding Raptors these days so I feel I can't be crazy wanting to continue building this thing??? Or am I?

I traded my Gen 1 Raptor for a Jeep and came back to the Raptor and I don't want to make that mistake again.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Graeman

TexasGXGuy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Rockwall, TX 75087, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Morris
Member #

I second what Owasco said. Not to mention I’d consider your needs and normal activities and stick with the truck that does those best. I’ve gone through more vehicles than I care to think about in the last 10 years and while I love my 4Runner I miss my Raptor! Should’ve never got rid of it.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've been eyeing the gladiator myself, but honestly I don't think I'll ever get rid of my raptor. I wanted one when they first came out, it was my dream truck. But I like the idea of having a jeep truck. One of the Main reasons I have not purchased a jeep was cargo capacity. So I think they may find a good niche market there.

rzncain

Rank 0

Contributor I

I second what Owasco said. Not to mention I’d consider your needs and normal activities and stick with the truck that does those best. I’ve gone through more vehicles than I care to think about in the last 10 years and while I love my 4Runner I miss my Raptor! Should’ve never got rid of it.
This was my old truck.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

While the Gladiator has a solid tow rating, it is certainly not a full-sized pickup (even a Raptor). So, if you tow regularly or over hills, it makes sense to keep the Raptor. Especially since you left the Raptor, tried out several Jeeps, and then came back, it seems your gut knows you should stay with the Raptor.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
While the Gladiator has a solid tow rating, it is certainly not a full-sized pickup (even a Raptor). So, if you tow regularly or over hills, it makes sense to keep the Raptor. Especially since you left the Raptor, tried out several Jeeps, and then came back, it seems your gut knows you should stay with the Raptor.
Raptors have a pretty low tow rating for a full size truck, especially in bed capacity.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Raptors have a pretty low tow rating for a full size truck, especially in bed capacity.
Actually, I thought it was 8800lbs for the Raptor, but it is only "up to" 8000lbs, vs an impressive 7650 for the Gladiator. So, the difference is less than I thought!

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Actually, I thought it was 8800lbs for the Raptor, but it is only "up to" 8000lbs, vs an impressive 7650 for the Gladiator. So, the difference is less than I thought!
That's if the raptor is a crew cab, if it's the extended cab it's even less. I believe it's only 5500. I may be wrong though

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

the way i see it is whether you want to go with the power of the raptor or the versatility of the gladiator.

raptors are a very powerful truck and have been out for some time now. able to be tested and proven. or unproven depending on how you look at it.

the gladiator is making its debut, we all know jeep puts their vehicles through some rigorous tests, as does ford. but the gladiator hasnt had time to get the feedback from the general population.

I say give it atleast 6 months to a year to see if the gladiators will stand up to what theyre claiming, all the recall bugs to get fixed, etc.

Reactions: rzncain

rzncain

Rank 0

Contributor I

the way i see it is whether you want to go with the power of the raptor or the versatility of the gladiator.

raptors are a very powerful truck and have been out for some time now. able to be tested and proven. or unproven depending on how you look at it.

the gladiator is making its debut, we all know jeep puts their vehicles through some rigorous tests, as does ford. but the gladiator hasnt had time to get the feedback from the general population.

I say give it atleast 6 months to a year to see if the gladiators will stand up to what theyre claiming, all the recall bugs to get fixed, etc.
I don't necessarily disagree with any of this. I do trust that there is one vehicle the Jeep/Fiat can build its a Jeep or a Jeepish truck. lol

I love the way the Raptor does everything else I need it for and I have a short work commute (11 miles) so I don't really need a daily plus fun/overland truck. I was just worried more so about the width of the Raptor more so than its capabilities. Maybe if I can't fit, it wasn't meant to be! lol and I'll catch the next trail.

Reactions: Jaytperry89

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

The 3.6 engine that comes in a gladiator is not going to pull 7600 pounds worth a crap. We have a 2014 JKU with the same engine and pull a 1000 lb teardrop. It struggles in the mountains and guzzles the gas. Also, Unless you put a significant lift and big tires on the gladiator, the departure angle is going to suck. If you do lift it, say goodbye to your warranty, which you will need with a jeep. Don't get me wrong, I love both our jeeps and have gone on many adventures but jeeps ar not known for quality control or the company being warranty friendly. FCA looks for reasons to cancel warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

The 3.6 engine that comes in a gladiator is not going to pull 7600 pounds worth a crap. We have a 2014 JKU with the same engine and pull a 1000 lb teardrop. It struggles in the mountains and amazing the gas. Also, Unless you put a significant lift and big tires on the gladiator, the departure angle is going to suck. If you do lift it, say goodbye to your warranty, which you will need with a jeep. Don't get me wrong, I love both our jeeps and have gone on many adventures but jeeps ar not known for quality control or the company being warranty friendly. FCA looks for reasons to cancel warranty.
All valid points! Thanks for the inputs; OP, it really sounds like you need to keep the Raptor ;) .

Reactions: rzncain

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Scroll down, the 2019 Supercrew Raptor with the 3.5L Twin Turbo in the right configuration can tow 12,000 lbs. 10,700 is the least it tows in other configurations. I own a 2011 F-150 Supercrew with the first edition 3.5L Twin Turbo and the torque it has is incredible. The new Raptor has an improved version of my engine, wish I had it in my truck. I guess I'll just have to pay off my consolidation loan and buy the Raptor in a few years! I'd keep the Raptor, if you've ever gone over 80 mph in it compare that to doing 80 mph plus in a Jeep! Not to mention towing, it easily out tows anything Jeep currently has. I towed my son's Ford Ranger on a big heavy U-Haul trailer, probably 6000 pounds and it pulled it no problem. It also tows my 4000 pound boat and trailer no problem too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood