Ram Mount question

• HTML tutorial

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

So, hey. I just got my Ram mount and I have a question for all of you using it. Have any of you wheeled hard enough to need the tether?
he build quality of this thing seems really good, and it also looks like it will mount securely to the windshield. I can't imagine the phone falling out of the Xwing.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Assuming you are talking about a suction cup version? I would tether it when able. I like the ones that clamp or bolt on. My suction cup ones have worked well (exterior) but I would hate to lose my gear. My mount that I use inside does fall off after a few weeks or depending on temperature changes. Because of that I switched that one to a bolt on mount.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Skitard93

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have an x grip mount thing on my dirt bike that I use for dual sport, Ive never had my iPhone pop out or any issue. and I'm pretty good at dropping my bike and jumping it and what not. I wouldn't worry about a tether. my suction cup mount on my truck sometimes will pop off. But thats if I don't redo it every blue moon.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Assuming you are talking about a suction cup version? I would tether it when able. I like the ones that clamp or bolt on. My suction cup ones have worked well (exterior) but I would hate to lose my gear. My mount that I use inside does fall off after a few weeks or depending on temperature changes. Because of that I switched that one to a bolt on mount.

Heat is your enemy. It will dry out and drop

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Never once came loose in my truck. Including trails in Moab. My only complaint is the side to side rotational flop that is part of the way the mount works.
Me too. Several trails after using both the tablet and the phone size one, nothing has fallen out and the Mojave road was very washboard and it was solid. What @Shizzy said about the flop is true but not at all a problem for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Me too. Several trails after using both the tablet and the phone size one, nothing has fallen out and the Mojave road was very washboard and it was solid. What @Shizzy said about the flop is true but not at all a problem for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app
I've found if I tighten the mount head tilted to one side, the phone pretty much stays level, but, still, not always a fun thing.

MtMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stow, MA
Member #

I am running an X-Grip with an iPhone 7 Plus and it holds it even when crawling through rough rocks. I am not moving fast but have bounced through the rocks pretty good and it has never moved. I do have it mounted to a short ram mount with 1" ball that is clamped to a Vector Off-Road JKE Dock which is mounted to the dash in my Jeep JKUR.

Rob Frank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Here are picture of my RAM Mount in my Jeep Wrangler, I have a RAM Garmin Bracket, but I also have the bracket for my iPad

Attachments

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Altitude changes have knocked my suction cup off too. But overall it's pretty stable.

Rob Frank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Ram mounts are used by a lot of airlines, here is one demo how to use them.

Rob Frank

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Altitude changes have knocked my suction cup off too. But overall it's pretty stable.

That is one of the reasons that I am not using the suction cup mount, and screwed/bolted the ball to my dash

Reactions: aearles

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I use the Ram mount that attaches to my passenger seat bolts. I use it for navigation with my iPad. Works great, and has never given me any problems holding my iPad Pro 10.5". I have never needed to use the rubber strap, seems overkill. Even when driving on washboard roads. I have used the suction cup mount, but they can detach at the most inconvenient times.

RAM-B-316-1-202U.jpg RAM-B-316-1-202U3.jpg