Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
40,000 miles. New record.

Engine ticking. Shut down. Checked for debris in fan. Won't restart. Plenty of fuel in both fuel filters. Messed up the oring on the engines filter, won't reseal. Carry a spare if you have a Ram.

Waiting for my 2nd tow truck right now. 1st truck was an F450, he couldn't keep more than three of his tires on the ground. Wrecker is coming next.

• Wow
Reactions: RoarinRow

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

What year Ram? What Cummins? There is a lot is difference between a 1996 and a 2021. Like, a bit of starting fluid in the older ones can help diagnose and maybe get it running, but the newer ones it will do really bad things. So, we need to know more.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

I was about to hit the intake with either or brake clean, but have decided to let the dealer explode the engine properly. BTW, holy strudel is it hard to get the engine fuel filter out. 1 1/4 socket, huge extension, kneel on the fuse box and hover over the engine.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I was about to hit the intake with either or brake clean, but have decided to let the dealer explode the engine properly. BTW, holy strudel is it hard to get the engine fuel filter out. 1 1/4 socket, huge extension, kneel on the fuse box and hover over the engine.
I used to hit my 2003 with ether when the injectors were going bad. Had to do this every day to get it started. However this was only short term and not the best practice, but I needed to get to work to earn money to buy new injectors.

2019, that should still be under warranty?

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
I hope the cp4 didn’t take a shit.. not sure why ram followed everyone else’s screw up and put it on their engine for a year.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Is it freezing up there right now? I learned during the texas deep freeze my duramax don't like frozen lines. It did something similar I was cruising along like normal and all of a sudden the stabilitrack codes started popping up and put me into limp mode which ended in the truck dying and notwanting to restart. Turned out the fuel line was froze up I warmed it with my lighter and no problems afterwards.

I've also heard that those new rams like to eat crankshaft.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The gas hemi's eat cams, rockers, and lifters. Jeeps, same thing. Jeep owners always say ''there's millions of jeep engines in minivans out there''. Yep, and there's millions of minivans in the scrap yards with blown engines also. Our cities service garages have literally stacks of crate hemi's ready to be dropped into cop cars.

Unless the ticking was the HPOP, I'm betting on CP4. It's under warranty, but won't be covered under warranty. I can promise that.

Last edited:

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Yep the o-rings for fuel filters swell right away so If you remove the filters you need new o-rings. I learned that the hard way. I also found that there isn't just an o-ring you have to buy the whole filter. I also carry 911 Power service after I had a 2013 Duramax once gell up so bad in Why not Minot ND one year it took 2 days in the service center to become liquid enough to empty the whole fuel system. I will fill both the filter housings up with new filter change if I suspect gelling up. Add the rest to the fuel tank. I have also found in my learning if you don't change the o-rings you can get air in the lines and cause issues in the pump and fuel system. I got lucky and it reprimed after changing the o-rings. Hope it works out for you. IF the fuel pump crapped out look at aftermarket pumps if you have one like mine 2019. Most of the 2020 I believe got the new version of the CP3 and it seems like it works fine. Knock on wood I haven't had issues.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Sorry to hear of the trouble, MidOH. Hope you have good resolution to this from the dealer but I happen to share your pessimism of FCA warranties (And I extend that pessimism to most car brands actually).

For folks who are experiencing diesel freezing up -- are you talking about actual gelling of the diesel fuel? Winterized diesel is a thing but if you can't buy it locally because the cold snap is unseasonal (or, "ungeographical" as was the case with Texas!), I'm fairly confident you can buy additives that will help in a pinch. For example: Diesel Anti-Gel Additive for Cold Weather | Hot Shot's Secret (one of several brands, YMMV) Or is this a moisture thing? I know diesels are very vulnerable to moisture in the fuel. Altitude and temperature changes can cause a lot of condensation in some systems. Would an aftermarket filter at the engine end address some of this?

Msquare

Rank 0

Traveler I

Central WA
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Roberts
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7CBR
Sorry this happened to you. Please follow up with the diagnosis and fix. Good luck with FCA and the warranty, I've been treated pretty fairly with mine.

Reactions: DevilDodge

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
1st diagnosis came in:
"Injector pump sheared in half.''

Lolz.

• Sad
Reactions: M Rose

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I hate it when my injector pump splits in half and falls off.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm still blown away by 40,000 miles. I had. 01 dodge 1500 and it took 120,000 before that hunk of crap started falling apart, started with the dash Crack ended with the engine block cracked. I'm knocking on 200,000 on my 2017 duramax 2.8, worst I've had so far is a fuel line rubbed a hole in itself and sprayed everywhere because beach sand was caught between it and another part but I consider that my fault.

I've started buying 2.8 duramaxes pulled from wrecked colorados and panel vans. So far I have 3 sitting in a shed out back. I'm contemplating swapping my 468 big block in my rock crawler buggy for 1 since the 2.8 fits right up to the th400 trans without an adapter.
I'm tired of messing with carbs and don't really trust a holley sniper efi to be any better. I may sell the 468 for 8k and get 3 more 2.8s.

Hopefully they don't put the same pump back in and they give you one of the new/old ones.

Reactions: MidOH

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Yep the o-rings for fuel filters swell right away so If you remove the filters you need new o-rings. I learned that the hard way. I also found that there isn't just an o-ring you have to buy the whole filter. I also carry 911 Power service after I had a 2013 Duramax once gell up so bad in Why not Minot ND one year it took 2 days in the service center to become liquid enough to empty the whole fuel system. I will fill both the filter housings up with new filter change if I suspect gelling up. Add the rest to the fuel tank. I have also found in my learning if you don't change the o-rings you can get air in the lines and cause issues in the pump and fuel system. I got lucky and it reprimed after changing the o-rings. Hope it works out for you. IF the fuel pump crapped out look at aftermarket pumps if you have one like mine 2019. Most of the 2020 I believe got the new version of the CP3 and it seems like it works fine. Knock on wood I haven't had issues.
To reinforce what @jwalla said, orings are consumables. DO NOT REUSE THEM.

Reactions: jwalla

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Sorry to hear you're having issues with such low miles, that sucks!

Side note to anyone talking about using ether/starting fluid/etc to help get a Cummins running, be VERY careful with that. The Cummins uses an intake grid heater rather than glow plugs, if you're unlucky then the grid heater will kick on and ignite the spray inside the intake and then you'll be in real trouble. Would want to pull the heater fuse before trying that in the future, IMO.

Hope they get you fixed up and back on the road fast!

Reactions: DevilDodge