Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Are there any Dodge Ram Charger owners out there? I possibly have a chance to purchase a 88 Dodge Ram Charger in perfect condition for 6000 dollars. Person is the second owner and knew the original owners. Vehicle has 86,000 original miles on it.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Gave one, 84’ to my son. He drove it home to the coast, then let a friend borrow it, who took it to the beach and surfed it! I was not happy with my son! But WAS a great vehicle. You have room to sleeping in it and camping gear.With the 88’ you would have to do a part-time conversation kit, to use locking hubs. Also, they make a cable adapter to lock the slide piece in the front axle. Dodge used the same actuator in the front axle like Jeep uses on many Jeeps. 84’ was the last year that had the better front axle. 5A2BD1F9-E284-42F9-9701-7FAE3A1F38C3.jpeg Vance.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Gave one, 84’ to my son. He drove it home to the coast, then let a friend borrow it, who took it to the beach and surfed it! I was not happy with my son! But WAS a great vehicle. You have room to sleeping in it and camping gear.With the 88’ you would have to do a part-time conversation kit, to use locking hubs. Also, they make a cable adapter to lock the slide piece in the front axle. Dodge used the same actuator in the front axle like Jeep uses on many Jeeps. 84’ was the last year that had the better front axle. View attachment 117025 Vance.
Thank you, Hoping to get it. Does Warn have the conversion kit? Does the 88 have full time 4wheel drive?

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thank you, Hoping to get it. Does Warn have the conversion kit? Does the 88 have full time 4wheel drive?
Jeepmedic46,
The 88’ will have a part time system. A Dana 44 front axle. Uses a vacuum system that slides a coller over Two axle pieces to make it a solid front axle in 4 wd. No hubs to turn, the front axle is like a front axle like used by Jeeps from 87’ on. Even the new JL Wrangler is using a similar system to this day. In 2wd. the coller is not in place and your axle will spin but not put power to the front wheels. But the parts, u-joints are all turning but not under any load tell you push the transfer case handle into the 4h or 4L position You can find an aftermarket kit to lock the sleeve or coller on the axle, with a manual cable lock. That takes care of the vacuum problem some have. Not sure if you can find a set of manual hubs easily or not still. But with the Internet? Different studies have shown that you do not save much gas to pay for the cost of the manual hubs. It’s more to save wear and tear while on the road of you front axle parts. The rear axle is a Chrysler corporation 8-3/4”. Strong axle but not as many locker options as your front axle should you want a locker. ARB Air locker, Detroit Locker some other LSD traction devices. Check out RamCharger Central on the net. Hope this helps, Vance.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

The Ramcharger is a great truck and every bit as capable as its GM and Ford brothers. The only down side to that generation of Dodge is the lack of parts vs. the GM and Ford. Engine and drive train parts are easy, but there is very little when it comes to interior, trim, seals, etc. If you need to "restore" one, it is much more difficult than the GM or Ford.
Just a warning so you know what you are getting. With that said, I say go for it, they really are great trucks and more unique than the other stuff out there.

BTW, Dodge did make the Ramcharger in 99-2001 in Mexico. It was the normal Dodge truck front and sides, but had a mini-van rear hatch. I saw a few while I was in Mexico in 2004.
See here:

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

The Ramcharger is a great truck and every bit as capable as its GM and Ford brothers. The only down side to that generation of Dodge is the lack of parts vs. the GM and Ford. Engine and drive train parts are easy, but there is very little when it comes to interior, trim, seals, etc. If you need to "restore" one, it is much more difficult than the GM or Ford.
Just a warning so you know what you are getting. With that said, I say go for it, they really are great trucks and more unique than the other stuff out there.

BTW, Dodge did make the Ramcharger in 99-2001 in Mexico. It was the normal Dodge truck front and sides, but had a mini-van rear hatch. I saw a few while I was in Mexico in 2004.
See here:
I’m sure you can do an LS1 swap into it. Those things can be swapped into just about anything.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Sad news, The Ramcharger was sold. Don’t see to many around that are in good shape for what we can afford at this time. Still on the hunt though.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

See here:
Doesn’t look like a bad truck