Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Grabowski
Member #

Hey all Im new to the forum so if this question is in the wrong place please direct me.
My question is I have a 2006 2500 ram mega cab Im getting a free bed cap I can't remember if its a Leer or ARE but my question Ive seen it on others rigs but I would like to mount a roof top tent on top of the bed cap obviously I will have to install rails and rack system but what do you guys thing install on Bed cap OR install a rack system on roof and put it on the roof ?? will the cap hold up the weight ??? what else do you think I need to do ??? or other suggestions would be great .......pics of your set ups on caps would be awesome also!! thanks in advance.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I would start by finding out exactly what cap you are getting. Then contact the manufacturer and ask for the weight specs. Static, I think you would be fine, However, is the dynamic loading that is really important. At the very least you would want quality mounting clamps and more then 4. If you install rails, I would install a full backer rail on the inside to sandwich the shell. This way any force is applied to as much surface area as possible.

Reactions: K9Overlander

K9Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Grabowski
Member #

I would start by finding out exactly what cap you are getting. Then contact the manufacturer and ask for the weight specs. Static, I think you would be fine, However, is the dynamic loading that is really important. At the very least you would want quality mounting clamps and more then 4. If you install rails, I would install a full backer rail on the inside to sandwich the shell. This way any force is applied to as much surface area as possible.
Cool thanks I’m picking it up Monday !! And will do 6-8 clamps
Thanks for your advice

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Nope. If the cap doesn't collapse as quickly as a Gm's front suspension, it'll jiggle wildly when you use the RTT.

There are ladder racks that reach around a cap. Those would be perfect. I'd add some extra crossbars and some triangulation to the uprights maybe.

Reactions: K9Overlander

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

Woo Hoo another 3rd Gen Mega Cab, I don't run a cap personally but I think putting some sort of roof rack on the cap would work better. It would transfer the weight to the edges where there is more structural support.

Here's my set up no cap bed so probably not much help.
20200125_130209.jpg

K9Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Grabowski
Member #

Woo Hoo another 3rd Gen Mega Cab, I don't run a cap personally but I think putting some sort of roof rack on the cap would work better. It would transfer the weight to the edges where there is more structural support.

Here's my set up no cap bed so probably not much help.
View attachment 139012
Cool thanks for the info sorry so long to respond the APP was down in my phone I’ll post updates as I’m going ahead!