Ram 1500 level project

• HTML tutorial

Aoran Zhang

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Michigan & China(Beijing)
Member #

I've got a 2015 Ram 1500 outdoorsman, I have 30K miles on her, I use her for daily commute and go camping and load dirt bike go riding during the weekend. I finally decide I need more ground clearance in my truck when I go off-road. so I start to search for all kind of leveling kit, most popular one are the one from Rough Country they are about $60, I did a lot of the research on these spacers, most comment problem people have with the spacers are the ball joint pop (only 2013 newer model) you have have to replace the upper control arms which are another $300.

And then I found out Bilstein make an adjustable shock for Ram 1500 which is the Bilstein 5100 series, with this set up you don't have to replace the upper control arms. and the price is pretty reasonable, they are $94 per shock you can get it from Amazon (Link: ) The Bilstein 5100 have 4 blocks for you to choose, stock height, 1.5, 2.5, 2.75. after 3 days of research, I decided to go with the 2in block for my situation, ( tow and payload), if you want to level your truck perfectly you need to go with the max height, personality I would like to keep a little bit rake because I tow and payload.

I will get it install tomorrow, and i will post pictures before and after.
I got a quote from a local 4 by 4 shop from $160 from labor and realignment.

Sorry for any grammar problems, English is not my first language. have a good day guys! if you guys have any questions please feel free to leave comments.

Attachments

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Look forward to your report.

I haven't needed more clearance yet, although I am going to remove the plastic lower bumper dealy on my Bighorn. I fear messing up the suspension on such an expensive truck.

Luke VC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
I bought a set of blistein leveling shocks , will get on when the snow melts ...It will give me adjustable lift options I am planning on 2 .1 inch setting should level out nice

Aoran Zhang

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

I bought a set of blistein leveling shocks , will get on when the snow melts ...It will give me adjustable lift options I am planning on 2 .1 inch setting should level out nice
2.1 in is the best option, if go over 2.1in you will have ball joint problems again, 2.1 will give you just a little bit of rake, but not noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Luke VC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
2.1 in is the best option, if go over 2.1in you will have ball joint problems again, 2.1 will give you just a little bit of rake, but not noticeable.

thank you that's what I have read hope it looks good with no problems

Aoran Zhang

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Just got back from the shop, over all I am pretty impress with the Bilstein 5100 shock, highway (75mph) no different at all, high speed off-road you can definitely tell the difference, better support than the factory one, daily commute is a little bit stiffer, but not too much. No Change in MPG.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Very nice. I have considered the bilsteins myself. How are they holding up? One thing I would say is I would still add uca. The added angle from lift is not the only ball joint killer on these trucks. I have seen bone stock trucks pop ball joints when the suspension is at full droop. For me when I do add my lift uca will for sure be factored into the budget.