Rainwater's Creamed Corn

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
This is not exactly what I think of as "overlanding food", but Lanlubber requested it, so here it is.

Rainwater's is long gone now, but they were an excellent steakhouse in downtown San Diego a few decades back. This is their creamed corn recipe. Given that the recipe was available when they were still operational I don't think anyone will mind if I share it here.

4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup half & half
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
pinch of cayenne
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp flour

Combine all ingredients except butter and flour. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Mix together the flour and butter in a small saucepan. Heat slowly and stir until smooth. Add to simmering corn.

Mix well, allowing mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and serve.

Not a particularly complicated recipe, but whipping cream and half & half aren't likely to make it onto my packing list. For cooking at home however, this is a winner.

Overland Vic

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Member #

This is not exactly what I think of as "overlanding food", but Lanlubber requested it, so here it is.

Rainwater's is long gone now, but they were an excellent steakhouse in downtown San Diego a few decades back. This is their creamed corn recipe. Given that the recipe was available when they were still operational I don't think anyone will mind if I share it here.

4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup half & half
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
pinch of cayenne
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp flour

Combine all ingredients except butter and flour. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Mix together the flour and butter in a small saucepan. Heat slowly and stir until smooth. Add to simmering corn.

Mix well, allowing mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and serve.

Not a particularly complicated recipe, but whipping cream and half & half aren't likely to make it onto my packing list. For cooking at home however, this is a winner.
Thanks for sharing! This is on my supper list for this weekend's camping trip!

Reactions: Anak

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Very much like Summit house creamed corn. It is so good and easy, great camp food.