Launch Member

Steward I

Biblical Garden, Elgin, Scotland IV30 1HU, United Kingdom
First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

In keeping with the OB ethos and linking in to what we have all been discussing recently, here is the first trail cleanup meet. As everyone has mentioned the Raiders Road after Warren and I completed it last weekend, i thought this would be a good place to start. It is also part of the Forestry Commissions "South" Region and as some of you know i had a quick meeting with the regional manager last Monday to discuss what we can achieve.

She did suggest other areas which are more central and to the east of the southern region. But i thought we could hit two birds with one stone here. The Galloway Forrest park has some awesome single lane tracks that we where able to drive along last weekend, and then there is the raiders road itself. Even though the route has only just opened for the season, the litter and damage is already visible. The litter photos we had where from a 50m radius around our campsite. We also stopped along the Raiders road to pick up some roadside items. Please find a link to what we found HERE,

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/keeping-to-the-values.24035/#post-326937

All details are subject to change with the general consensus of the group. This is purely to get the ball rolling and so i can feed numbers into Lesley. She has said that we will be allowed special access to "out of bounds" routes, providing no forestry work is being conducted on them. I will adjust this post over the next couple of weeks to everyones wishes. Then contact Lesley with the details.

The Raiders road itself is 10 miles long, without deviation. This should be more than enough ground to cover even with the numbers we had a Loch Lomond. There are a couple of spots on the route we can fit 10+ vehicles in. So the key for me is to engage early so we can "reserve" a base camp area. Remember it will be midgey season (for the non Scottish amongst us) head nets and Smidge is a must.

I will provide bin bags, rubber gloves etc. I will also get as many high visibility vest as possible, but these might be an issue for me. So i would ask to bring your own so we are covered.

Again as with Loch Lomond, turn up when and if you can. Staying the whole duration isn't a must. Non-members welcome. Lets keep to the same relaxed friendly format that has set us all off!

Initial meeting point will be the Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre.

Any questions ping me on here, FB or whatsapp!

View Rally Point

keeflester

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Carradale, Scotland
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Lester
Member #

In keeping with the OB ethos and linking in to what we have all been discussing recently, here is the first trail cleanup meet. As everyone has mentioned the Raiders Road after Warren and I completed it last weekend, i thought this would be a good place to start. It is also part of the Forestry Commissions "South" Region and as some of you know i had a quick meeting with the regional manager last Monday to discuss what we can achieve.

She did suggest other areas which are more central and to the east of the southern region. But i thought we could hit two birds with one stone here. The Galloway Forrest park has some awesome single lane tracks that we where able to drive along last weekend, and then there is the raiders road itself. Even though the route has only just opened for the season, the litter and damage is already visible. The litter photos we had where from a 50m radius around our campsite. We also stopped along the Raiders road to pick up some roadside items. Please find a link to what we found HERE,

All details are subject to change with the general consensus of the group. This is purely to get the ball rolling and so i can feed numbers into Lesley. She has said that we will be allowed special access to "out of bounds" routes, providing no forestry work is being conducted on them. I will adjust this post over the next couple of weeks to everyones wishes. Then contact Lesley with the details.

The Raiders road itself is 10 miles long, without deviation. This should be more than enough ground to cover even with the numbers we had a Loch Lomond. There are a couple of spots on the route we can fit 10+ vehicles in. So the key for me is to engage early so we can "reserve" a base camp area. Remember it will be midgey season (for the non Scottish amongst us) head nets and Smidge is a must.

I will provide bin bags, rubber gloves etc. I will also get as many high visibility vest as possible, but these might be an issue for me. So i would ask to bring your own so we are covered.

Again as with Loch Lomond, turn up when and if you can. Staying the whole duration isn't a must. Non-members welcome. Lets keep to the same relaxed friendly format that has set us all off!

Initial meeting point will be the Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre.

Any questions ping me on here, FB or whatsapp!
Myself and Dug will be there, this will be on our route home from visiting Mum for her 93rd birthday

caspoint220

local Expert, West Europe
Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

A wee update for anyone who may not know. Forestry commission pulled out supporting us for some reason, i suspect to do with liability etc. However, the regional manager did say, that if we, as a group of enthusiasts, turn up and go camping and choose to go cleaning completely of our own accord. Thats fine. So all it means is, we will not likely get any access to normally unavailable routes. However we may be able to speak to the local ranger, so all hope is not lost. It also means we cant reserve a spot. I plan to drive down as a sort of "advance party" to try and grab up a good spot. Ideally by the otters pool-or as close to. Anyone who would like to travel down early, probably Thursday night, is more than welcome. I have also bought shares in toffee vodka so..........

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
A wee update for anyone who may not know. Forestry commission pulled out supporting us for some reason, i suspect to do with liability etc. However, the regional manager did say, that if we, as a group of enthusiasts, turn up and go camping and choose to go cleaning completely of our own accord. Thats fine. So all it means is, we will not likely get any access to normally unavailable routes. However we may be able to speak to the local ranger, so all hope is not lost. It also means we cant reserve a spot. I plan to drive down as a sort of "advance party" to try and grab up a good spot. Ideally by the otters pool-or as close to. Anyone who would like to travel down early, probably Thursday night, is more than welcome. I have also bought shares in toffee vodka so..........
We should be good to arrive the Thursday night or at least early Friday as we will be travelling up from the Salisbury Plains Meet.

I’ll get a load of rubble bags etc for rubbish

caspoint220

local Expert, West Europe
Launch Member

Steward I

First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

So its nearly time!

2 weeks to go until the event. All information still stands. I will be travelling down late Thursday night hoping to meet up with the Dave Spinks to secure a good spot for us. The hope is to get (or as close to) the Otter Pools as possible. This is where the running water, composting toilets and ........ funnily enough..... Otters Pool is to swim, get water for boiling and allow furry overlanders to have a play in the water.

I will be bringing refuse sacks for everyone to use. Along with a pack of nitrile gloves as a back up, given the numbers i was unable to source enough working gloves. I will personally be using my own working gloves (a set of mechanix) i would suggest everyone bring a set of sturdy working, cycling or gardening gloves for the task.

As my truck is modular. I will remove all of the stuff and secure it with another rig. As we fill the bags, dump them by the roadside, once we are finished for the day. My rig will act as collection and disposal vehicle we will aim to stop around 1630. This gives me time to return to collect my vehicle, drive to Newton Stewart Recycling Centre (20 mins away) and dispose of the rubbish. It is open until 6pm Sat and Sun.

If we finish quicker than anticipated, i have information on other routes in the area that are in need of some attention. Also there are enough forestry commission tracks around that we can have a little fun, pending a google maps recce! Something i think that we can do off the cuff if required!

If anyone has any other questions please let me know!

snowcat

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aberdeenshire, Scotland
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Stone
Member #

sorry folks but can't make this one - daughter in hospital today so seem to have got caught up in the logistics of that for next few days,

Have fun,
Mike