Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

So I tried to do a search but didn't really come up with what i wanted to ask. I've always used two way radios and i have a CB radio I can install in my truck. My question is should I be looking at a different form of communication like a ham radio or something? I DO NOT know anything really about ham radios. I've read some guys just use the hand held two ways and they do fine I guess. Just curious as to what the better option may be and whats all involved in it. Thanks y'all!

P.S. Sorry if this is somewhere and I just didn't find it!! :grimacing:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Here is a thread that may (or may not) help.

We also have a great communications section.

Reactions: Lil Bear and Downs

Stomper4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redding, California
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

I always have a CB installed. Like you I've always used them. Also local 4x4 clubs use them, and log trucks too so if I'm in the back woods I can often get ahold of someone if needed. And they are plenty for group run comms. No need to chit chat on a group run or rolling the interstate, sending a conversation out over 30 miles with HAM.

HAM has its place too. The install and tuning has to be done right so you're not screwing up other frequencies, which lots of guys get wrong unfortunately. But for emergency a HAM can sometimes hit a repeater depending where you are. Though I think if emergency is a concern, a SPOT or Garmin is a more reliable option.

Honestly though not many overlanders run CB. This hobby does have a bit of a fancy gear fascination so it really boils down to what the purpose is for having a radio and who you run with, if anyone, and what do they use.

Reactions: Lil Bear

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You will find different opinions on comm gear. I've been playing with radios since 1972. In the middle 70's I was in a truck club, we all had CB and it was great. Chatting , giving directions to each other made the trip fun. Got my Ham license later and things got better for clarity and distance. In the late 80's I started going to, then helping run off-road events. Everyone had CB's, then over time about 40% switched to ham. Leading a trail ride with 20+ people, everyone had a CB and we used ham for the trail leader and trail crew.
Switch to today, I only have a CB because I find people still using them. I try to use ham due to the many advantages.
Then there's GMRS. Same as ham with different license. What I've learned about GMRS is where you live is everything. Out here almost no one uses it. If I lead a group with 20+ people, I may see 1-2 with one. I've spoken to people in the mid west and they seem more popular there.
Most CB radios are still based on 1970's tech. The exception are two that I know of. President and another I cant remember. If you go CB, get modern tech.
Remember, antenna is everything.

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
The previous two replies were pretty much spot on. The only thing I can add is that I’m seeing a lot of clubs move ther radio requirement from CB to GMRS because of the improved quality. For instance, Jeep Jamboree has partnered with Midland Radios and starting in 2021 they’ll require all participants to have a GMRS radio Instead of a CB like the currently do.

Reactions: Downs

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
CB and 2M, plus handhelds for both.

unnamed (2).jpg

I also have a public safety radio that I'm authorized to carry that I can use in an emergency. Came in handy a few weeks ago when I was out on some back roads in a cell black hole and came across a rollover. Hopped on the radio to dispatch and called it in.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
What do the people you run with have? GMRS or HAM does no good if everyone else is running a CB. What about areas you like to run? Lots of truck traffic?

I'm currently setup for GMRS, HAM and CB because there's the communications landscape is so fractured it doesn't seem like you can really travel and have communications without having multiple options.

If you can link up with someone local and do a "test drive". I think you'll find the audio quality to be so much better on GMRS or HAM than CB that by itself may make you want to avoid CB.

My local Jeep Club has no set comms. Most have none, some have CB, and myself and a few others have HAM or GMRS. I'm currently running a campaign right now to try to get everyone to swap to GMRS.

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

So I tried to do a search but didn't really come up with what i wanted to ask. I've always used two way radios and i have a CB radio I can install in my truck. My question is should I be looking at a different form of communication like a ham radio or something? I DO NOT know anything really about ham radios. I've read some guys just use the hand held two ways and they do fine I guess. Just curious as to what the better option may be and whats all involved in it. Thanks y'all!

P.S. Sorry if this is somewhere and I just didn't find it!! :grimacing:
I guess you need to figure out who it is you want to communicate with and when you want to do it. If you just want to communicate with people in your immediate group then FRS handhelds will probably do the trick. GMRS will also work with FRS as they share the first 22 frequencies. After 22 the power outputs can be increased on GMRS. This advantage that GMRS has over FRS can't be ignored. FRS is limited to low power output, whereas GMRS can now go up to 50 watts on certain frequencies AND can hit repeaters. That's one of the reasons I installed a 50w GMRS unit in my truck: the ability to hit repeaters and the improved signal strength over CB and FRS. We travel alone mostly so having repeater capability and improved signal strength if the fit hit the shan were important. We also purchased a handheld GMRS unit for the times that one of us might be in the truck driving and the other is outside giving directions.

Don't think though that you can just switch to a repeater frequency and just reach out and touch someone. GMRS repeaters are (I think) all privately owned and most have hidden tones that, without the owner providing you with the in/out tones, you can't use said repeater. Not all repeater owners will return emails, and the number of GMRS repeaters out there is far, far less than HAM. So, if you want maximum reach out and touch you capabilities, HAM is the way to go. Ham is also the most difficult to learn, but in reading about HAM operations as an aside you learn a lot about radios in general.

As mentioned, GMRS isn't yet as ubiquitous as CB but more and more people are using them. You might want to start with looking at mygmrs.com and see what you discover. If all you want is comms in your group then FRS handhelds might be your easiest option.

If you go with a truck mounted base unit you also need to consider your antennae. I suggest you go over to the comms subsection and read up.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
GMRS will also work with FRS as they share the first 22 frequencies. After 22 the power outputs can be increased on GMRS.
15-22 are high power channels that can be used up to 50 watts. The other 8 frequencies after channel 22 are repeater inputs only not to be used for simplex use. Also 50 watt limit.

Channel list as of 2017. All 22 channels are shared between FRS and GMRS with differences in bandwidth and power output.

1-7 simplex only
FRS- 2 watts narrow band (12.5 khz)
GRMS- 5 watts wide band (20khz)

7-14 simplex only
both FRS and GMRS are limited to 0.5 watts (500 milliwatts) and narrow band

14-22 Simplex and repeater outputs.
FRS is limited to simplex only 2 watts and Narrowband
GMRS can do simplex and recieve repeater outputs here. 50 watts wideband.

The other 8 frequencies which are set aside for reapeater use are input only (no simplex operation) You can use those at 50 watts as well.