Rack, Shell, or Trailer?

• HTML tutorial

EP34FR

Rank I

Traveler I

I'm currently in the struggle of trying to decide between a bed rack, camper shell, or trailer.

What did you choose; what made you choose what you did; and, having used it for a while now, any regrets or things you'd change? Pics welcome.

My truck is my daily driver, so don't really want to leave a RTT and/or outdoor gear mounted or stored all the time. Leaning towards a bed rack (KB VooD00...one of the few that'll work with my Retrax tonneau cover) - cheapest option, but not sure if I want to leave it mounted all the time...and might be a pain to install/remove repeatedly with my tonneau cover.

Camper shell (A.R.E. Overland) is an option, cost would be close to the same as what I paid for my tonneau cover plus the cost of the rack, but not sure how it will look on my truck (never been a huge fan of them, but I've seen a few trucks that look good with them).

Trailer would be nice to store gear and leave RTT mounted all the time (just hook up and go), but don't have a garage or shelter to keep it in (weather wear?)...also wonder about ease of maneuvering trailer on trails and into camping spots (too much aggravation to try to back the trailer in tight spots?)...it's also the most expensive option.

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’m finally sick and tired of my tonneau cover and my new Leer cap is being installed tomorrow. I’ve had trucks with caps as well as open beds. They are all compromises but I need a cap. I’ll be adding a K9 or front runner rack sooner or later as well.

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

As a trailer guy, I always advocate the trailer option. With respect to maneuverability, my CDN M101 can be a little too maneuverable at times when backing up. It takes some practice, but I’ve never had an issue getting around on or off road. The convenience of being able to drop and go was another big factor in my decision to go with a trailer.

You are right that the trailer option is the most expensive, but mine has been a work in progress for nine years. With the limited cargo capacity of a Jeep Wrangler TJ, the benefit of the trailer was immediately realized. Since then I’ve added tongue box/battery, RTT, propane tank, Roadshower, solar, etc. The biggest issue I see is availability.

I got lucky in that I found my trailer locally after a two year search, it was in excellent condition and reasonably priced. The good thing is if you decide to not keep the trailer, you probably won’t lose money on it.

Reactions: Road

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Well I can say that I have had all 3 on my truck. I started off with a shell, then a rack system, then to a trailer and back to a rack system. honesty it all depends on how often you are going to go out and what your are trying to accomplish. For me I didn't like the trailer. I hated having to go slow on the highway and having 1 additional thing I had to worry about. Right now I have the Leitner active cargo system and love it. My only complaint is that after a day on the trail anything in the bed gets caked with dirt.

-Raul

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

Shell, trailer and roof racks on both. This truck has only had a shell + roof rack. My previous truck had a tonneau cover which I replaced with a shell eventually. After a couple of years I added a rack on the shell. That combo worked out great until I got married and had a family. Then, I started towing a tent trailer. Eventually we ended up with our current setup where we sleep in the teardrop and my son sleeps in the shell. Last year was our first year with this setup and it worked out great.

So, examine your situation and figure out what works best. For me, for many years as a "single" guy when it was just me or me plus one a shell with an air mattress and a roof rack to carry my gear worked out great. Later on as my situation changed so did my setup.

-Curtiss

Reactions: Road

EP34FR

Rank I

Traveler I

Thanks for the comments so far!

I rekon there are pros and cons to every set up. I want something that will be functional, easy, and will help me to get out there more.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
How many people do you have to sleep? If it’s just one or two, I find it hard to justify a trailer. You’ve nailed the drawbacks: cost, storage, maneuverability, fuel consumption. It doesn’t add up for one or two.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

My wife and I have seriously looked into trailers as a way to pick up and go with enough equipment to make things plenty comfortable. Probably in the next few years, we'll have one. For now, we have the pair of 4runners that easily provide enough room to fit us, 3 dogs, and the new baby (and even a bit cramped in just one). A RTT probably isnt a likely in the cards, because "help me haul this 200lb box onto the roof" and "pick up and go" don't quite fit together haha.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

For now it's tent camping for us, in the next year we will be building a 6x12 to go on the road indefinitely, nothing beats a shower, toilet, ac/heat!!

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've been a van guy for about twenty years, but with a trailer now. I've had pickups and most always put a cap on them to extend their versatility for keeping stuff covered, out of the weather, and out of view for construction, camping, long distance adventure, etc.

I think part of your decision would be based on how long your pickup bed is. If full-size, it's a lot easier to sleep in/live out of when traveling.

Moving a tent on and off a roof rack or bed rack will prove to be a royal pain after awhile, if you don't want to leave it up there when in town, though I have seen some clever hoists meant to lift a platform and tent clear of a truck when needed.

Over the years, a van just made more sense to me, for my needs, because I can still haul stuff (I can put twelve foot lumber in there and still close the doors) and I love the fact that I can swing around from the driver's seat and go right into the back.

I ended up getting a trailer because I wanted to extend the possibilities for back country camping, off-road travel, and being able to set up a camp for longer periods of time and not have to tear it down if I wanted to go somewhere in the van. My trailer tows like a dream, is a breeze to back up into tight spots once I got the hang of it, is well balanced, and overall just a treat to have. Has a cargo area the size of a full-sized pickup bed, so I haul a shitload of stuff when I want. Has a rack on it too, with a couple positions in height, so I can put a RTT or light cargo up there.

So, depending on what your travel/camping style is and how often and how long you think you're going to go out, I think the best is to have a cap on the pickup with cargo racks and tow a trailer too. That way you have a variety of things you can do. Take the trailer or not, depending on the adventure, and either keep it loaded for the next trip or use it for house/farm chores, etc.

I love the versatility and variety of options I have with having both a trailer and a covered vehicle space.

xv2-litup-bbnp_0951.jpg
Trailer now has a hardshell RTT and a 3-sided wrap-around awning.

roaddude_van-interior-9810.jpg
This was the setup for a recent multi-month trip. Getting ready to switch it up with a little more storage, fridge slide, work table, and a privy, and maybe a poptop if I can get the vendor moving.

Reactions: EP34FR

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Made my own trailer 2 tj tubs. Fiberglass camper shells are not strong, look at the metal ones for rtt. If you go with a camper top, take snug foam and plug all gaps and hole for dust under the bed rails.