@Rabbiter built extended dinoot

• HTML tutorial

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
It seems that many of the Dinoot builds are missing pictures these days.. I will post up my build here and instagram @rabbiter
I am building this trailer for me, how I want it. I do not see myself doing black diamond trails with it, but using it as a home base instead (on the crawling days).
I feel that weight is something often looked over on adventure trailers. My goal shouldn't be hard to reach but to start I want my trailer over built structurally and under 500 pounds dry.
So far I with all the parts weighed separately I got 480 pounds including a spare tire.

First step was to make my brothers old JK rims and tires fit on a trailer axle. So out came the rougher. If anyone wants to do this its pretty easy and come out very clean. If you are concerned about the hub-centric part it does not get touched so it will be a good spare for the trailer or jeep.

20180131_151111(0).jpg 20180131_151058.jpg

RowdyOutside

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, Virginia
First Name
mike
Last Name
bickel
Member #

Thanks for sharing @Rabbiter. I’m waiting on my Dinoot bits and pieces to arrive, I look forward to watching your thread in anticipation of my build.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: mikez

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
Thanks for sharing @Rabbiter. I’m waiting on my Dinoot bits and pieces to arrive, I look forward to watching your thread in anticipation of my build.

Nice! My tub and axle will hopefully ship this week. I ordered some 3m silver (white aluminum) wrap for the trailer.

Reactions: RowdyOutside

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
Here are the lights and wrap I have ordered. I had a hard time choosing the lights. I ended up with these Jeep like rear lights, they are low profile to look a little more modern. I like the look of the 4in circle lights but I really didnt want to add a bunch of reflectors and extra lights to pass the light inspection.
I chose the wrap just as a good neutral color. I was going to match the trailer to my Tj but I couldnt find a wrap that was close enough, so silver it is!

Attachments

RowdyOutside

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, Virginia
First Name
mike
Last Name
bickel
Member #

I like the wrap and never thought about using it for my tub. I found a small body shop willing to match my Jeep’s color. But I’m starting think a wrap will give the fiberglass better durability. Is that a fair guess?

Reactions: mikez

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
Like Don said It wont make the tub any stronger. I just was looking for a affordable nice looking solution and have always wanted to try a wrap. I changed the color to a dark sand/ dirt color and sent back the silver. I did not really want to paint match the trailer because I have 2 jeeps, my mom, girlfriend, and brother all have jeeps. I wanted something neutral but unique that would go behind anything.
My tub shipped so this weekend I will hopefully make the deck for the trailer and get all the hardware to install the tub.

RowdyOutside

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, Virginia
First Name
mike
Last Name
bickel
Member #

Right on. Good information. It sounds like your family is a blast to hang with.

I saw your Instagram pics. Your work looks good. What size tires will you use? I’m going with 31”

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Mikez, by the looks of your frame you built you decided to go with the J series Dinoot kit. Here's a little food for thought that can help you with issues I ran into while into my M416 Dinoot build. I do not want you to experience these issues.
I didn't like was the bottom of the tailgate opening (back piece of the tub), it is 2 7\8" higher than the floor (bottom of the tub) which make it impossible to slide your gear out directly onto the tailgate. (shown in my photo) If you raised your floor then you loose storage room by almost 3" in height. This was an issue for me because my Engel fridg\freez wouldn't fit (height wise) in my trailer with the tonneau cover snapped up.

Example, my Engel 22qt 12v fridg\freez is 41lbs empty & it makes it tough lifting it out on to the tailgate. Picture this, the tailgate in the open position laying horizontal reaching over the tailgate & lifting a 41 lb item about 3" up over this area on to the tailgate. Personally I feel this design problem shirks any plans to have a slide out kitchen or what I was wanting to do "a slide out fridg\freez ."

Which come to a picture of a Army OD Green Dinoot M416 on another forum I saw with the bed flush with the tailgate which made "me" believe the bed floor was flush with the tailgate to begin with when I first thought about ordering the Dinoot M416 kit.

Which leads me to this problem, setting my 41lb Engel fridg\freez on the tailgate, the vertical sides (opening were the tail gate fits into) the back tub piece started buckling on the sides when applying some weight to. Again I saw a photo on the same forum of the same guy standing on his OD Green Army Dinoot M416 tailgate in the open position stating he weigh 185lbs which lead "me" to believe the tub back piece & the tailgate would support my Engel or anything over 41 lbs prior to the purchase of the Dinoot kit.

Here's my point Mikez, you should check these areas out carefully while mocking up your tub, tailgate & tailgate cable kit carefully. Apply some pressure on the tailgate to see how much movement or tweaking these areas will give (in the photo). This is were I had to do some serious reinforcing to fit my concerns on the back part of the tub around the tailgate opening (shown in the photo).

I had to add some 3\16 thick metal, some welding, drilling holes, tapping threads & counter sinking, some machine screws & some creative imagination to solve this issue. I felt if this issue wasn't taken care of cracking or breakage of these side pieces will happen whether sooner or later. (notice the arrows in the photo) These are the areas I had to deal with before pursuing my build. The entire side on both sides I had to fabricate metal to handle this problem. Now I can stand on this area w\o buckling or tweaking w\o the worries.
The problem was solved & personally I shouldn't have to do this in the 1st place after paying what I did for the tub kit.
001.JPG

Last edited:

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
Right on. Good information. It sounds like your family is a blast to hang with.

I saw your Instagram pics. Your work looks good. What size tires will you use? I’m going with 31”

RoundyOutside I am going to use stock Jeep JK rims and tires. I got the street looking ones but they are the bigger option size not the titi donuts. Thanks for the complement!

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
Mikez, by the looks of your frame you built you decided to go with the J series Dinoot kit. Here's a little food for thought that can help you with issues I ran into while into my M416 Dinoot build. I do not want you to experience these issues.
I didn't like was the bottom of the tailgate opening (back piece of the tub), it is 2 7\8" higher than the floor (bottom of the tub) which make it impossible to slide your gear out directly onto the tailgate. (shown in my photo) If you raised your floor then you loose storage room by almost 3" in height. This was an issue for me because my Engel fridg\freez wouldn't fit (height wise) in my trailer with the tonneau cover snapped up.

Example, my Engel 22qt 12v fridg\freez is 41lbs empty & it makes it tough lifting it out on to the tailgate. Picture this, the tailgate in the open position laying horizontal reaching over the tailgate & lifting a 41 lb item about 3" up over this area on to the tailgate. Personally I feel this design problem shirks any plans to have a slide out kitchen or what I was wanting to do "a slide out fridg\freez ."

Which come to a picture of a Army OD Green Dinoot M416 on another forum I saw with the bed flush with the tailgate which made "me" believe the bed floor was flush with the tailgate to begin with when I first thought about ordering the Dinoot M416 kit.

Which leads me to this problem, setting my 41lb Engel fridg\freez on the tailgate, the vertical sides (opening were the tail gate fits into) the back tub piece started buckling on the sides when applying some weight to. Again I saw a photo on the same forum of the same guy standing on his OD Green Army Dinoot M416 tailgate in the open position stating he weigh 185lbs which lead "me" to believe the tub back piece & the tailgate would support my Engel or anything over 41 lbs prior to the purchase of the Dinoot kit.

Here's my point Mikez, you should check these areas out carefully while mocking up your tub, tailgate & tailgate cable kit carefully. Apply some pressure on the tailgate to see how much movement or tweaking these areas will give (in the photo). This is were I had to do some serious reinforcing to fit my concerns on the back part of the tub around the tailgate opening (shown in the photo).

I had to add some 3\16 thick metal, some welding, drilling holes, tapping threads & counter sinking, some machine screws & some creative imagination to solve this issue. I felt if this issue wasn't taken care of cracking or breakage of these side pieces will happen whether sooner or later. (notice the arrows in the photo) These are the areas I had to deal with before pursuing my build. The entire side on both sides I had to fabricate metal to handle this problem. Now I can stand on this area w\o buckling or tweaking w\o the worries.
The problem was solved & personally I shouldn't have to do this in the 1st place after paying what I did for the tub kit.
View attachment 50320
Thank you for the advice! I looked hard before choosing which kit to get. The kit I have does fit flush with the floor. The side panels overhang the frame and floor vs just sitting on top of the frame and floor. This does make the storage area shorter as you mentioned. The Jeep style tub is wider allowing for a good amount of extra storage as long as its not too tall (like the fridge freezer would be). On the tailgate issue, the Jeep tub comes with pretty beefy re enforcement brackets that I will post pictures of when I get them on. I think the problem making it work on the military style was using a Jeep tailgate and keeping the height of the military tub.
I have progress pictures I will post soon!

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
20180227_171757.jpg 20180305_161305.jpg 20180305_190008.jpg 20180308_174908.jpg 20180308_192618.jpg 20180308_192626.jpg 20180308_192636.jpg 20180308_212441.jpg I got the tail lights in, and some latches that I should be able to make work. I the deck made, that was a time consuming project!

Last edited:

mikez

Rank I

Traveler I

OC
I ended up adding outdoor primer/ sealer and paint to both sides of the deck last weekend. Yesterday I got the tub all trimmed up, sealed the sides and bolted the tub together. I found some outdoor carpet at Homedepot and cut that to fit as well.
Hopefully this weekend I will be able to mount the tub to the deck and install the tailgate
20180313_205508.jpg 20180313_205525.jpg 20180313_220605.jpg 20180313_165802.jpg