Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have a 1988 Toyota import, the AC is weak but still does provide some cool air. I wanted to look into it figured it was best to ask the question 1st!
If there is coolant loss how do you recharge the system?
Bad compressor is it best to replace or convert the system to 134a?
Is it possible to recharge the system using a mix of 134a and proper oil after recycling the R12?

any suggestions or hits would be great!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

it's quite common to covert to R134A. Should be kits available for most vehicles. With that said, it's usually worth paying a shop to do it.

Reactions: 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

it's quite common to covert to R134A. Should be kits available for most vehicles. With that said, it's usually worth paying a shop to do it.
Do you say its worth to have a shop do it for the recycling of the freon or due to the recharging of the system? I know there is some adaption needed for the freon as well.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR

That's the best way, unless you have the machine that recycles, holds vacuum and recharges correctly, it's a bigger problem if you do it wrong.
They evacuate the system and then install the kit parts, then vacuum it down to check if the system is good, then recharge with R134a if all is in good shape. Money well-spent.

R12 is crazy expensive last I looked, but that was a long time ago.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

There's a Service Bulletin from Toyota, Nov. 20, 1998 for that. Here's some details.

View attachment 26064

Is your car one of these?
View attachment 26065

Dan
Its possible that it has one of these compressors but it will not be one of these models due to being an Australian import 1988 HJ70 diesel but I will check this could be good reference thanks!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Ah, so that's what you meant by import, because in 1988 almost everything was an "import".
They may be able to cross-reference the system, check on ih8mud.com, a guy named 'beno' can probably help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I did the quick and dirty method with my R12 system. I likely had a leak or leaks and AC was not cool anymore, and was thinking of converting to 134a. Before that though I found Redtek R12a from Canada. I thought I'd give it a shot and if it didn't work out I'd convert my whole system to 134a. Anyway, 2 years now I've had R12a and it works great. Super cold. No complaints.

http://redtek.com/English/product.asp?ID=118

Good chart there @fj80toyman ill save that image for future reference.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
If it is still cooling a bit, the compressor still works and the system is not flat out of refrigerant. Trace out the system paying particular attention to ports and connections looking for oil or if you feel it on your hand. If nothing obvious is leaking I would take a chance and look on craigslist for some 1# cans. Yes it is expensive but you also don't need much.