R-pod Full Time Living

• HTML tutorial

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

My wife and I lived full time for 4 months in our R-pod 171 Hood River Edition. We did a few mods to make it our own. It was a great base camp large enough to live full time in but small enough to only take up one other parking spot beside the tow vehicle when in cities. The Hood River Edition has great ground clearance good for off the beaten path tracks but the height and width will limit the tracks you can access. If anyone is thinking of a R-pod hit me up for any questions. IMG_1334.JPG

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

That's a lot of closeness! Just a month ago, we were *that* close to buying an rPod 180 (liked the dry bath) or a Winnie Minnie Drop. We actually put down a deposit on the Drop, but after a week thinking about it, cancelled the order. Deb needs a newer car, and I just got the 4Runner, so we'd rather spread out the costs a bit.

Reactions: Whiteknuckler

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

My wife and I have been together for 20yrs. She is my best friend we have no problem being that close. We lived in a 300 sqft apartment for 3.5 yrs. I agree the dry bath would have been nice. You got to do what you got to do financially.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Looking at rpod!My questions are about the slide.plumbing,power moving in and out is there issues with wear,tear? Seems like potential for issues? Rest looks great,lots of room for storage? Thanks!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Biker Eagle

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

The 171 Model does not have a slide out. That is why we purchased it less things to go wrong. When I was on the lot looking at the model with the slide out, I was not impressed. You could see outside though the gaps in the "Seals" and they have no awning over the slide out rain, snow and debris will just be pulled right inside with the slide out.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I think the 171 is my favorite model from R-pod but many other manufacturers have similar builds and layouts now. A co-worker of mine has one and he loves his as well and we have a fellow co-worker with a hummingbird and he loves it as its the same basic design.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

No other manufacturer has the tank holding capacity like the R-pod does. You can be off grid so much longer.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
No other manufacturer has the tank holding capacity like the R-pod does. You can be off grid so much longer.
While I like the Rpod, I have to disagree with that statement. I have 78 gallons of freshwater in my 2017 Outdoors RV Blackrock 20rd. No slide, 20ft, dry bath. I have 40 gal each for grey and black tanks, and 4 6volt batteries. Plus I have 2 30lb propane tanks compared to the Rpod single 20. And I can camp at zero degrees with no hookups and water in the tanks. The Rpod wins in weight though, as I am sitting at 7000lbs loaded. Like I said, I like the Rpod, but there are other manufacturers that make trailers that are better at boondocking, for the same price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
After reading, I assume you meant Rpod shaped trailers, so disregard everything I just said. Rpods are great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I was looking at those at my local panpacific really nice setup that can go off road. I am still on the fence though my burb can tow a bigger travel trailer like the wife wants but want something in the rpod size.

Last edited:

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

My wife and I lived full time for 4 months in our R-pod 171 Hood River Edition. We did a few mods to make it our own. It was a great base camp large enough to live full time in but small enough to only take up one other parking spot beside the tow vehicle when in cities. The Hood River Edition has great ground clearance good for off the beaten path tracks but the height and width will limit the tracks you can access. If anyone is thinking of a R-pod hit me up for any questions. View attachment 16347
I just ran across your post w/images. I've been researching small camping trailers for the past two years and have narrowed my choices to the R-pod 171 and the Jayco Hummingbird 16FD. I am leaning towards the R-pod (Hood River). I will be eventually traveling solo full time within 1-2 years, but plan to purchase within a year. Do you find the space in the 171 sufficient? I prefer not having a slide to keep the weight down. Have you made any useful interior modifications? I also have a 4runner (V8), which I love. How has your towing experience been with the 4runner? Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated - no rush.

Reactions: EricnSD and Momo

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
I'm always surprised at the judgments folks make about others choices for going off road. I applaud you for getting out and offering your help to others. I currently travel in a Dodge diesel pu with an over cab camper towing a jeep. I am considering a TT for the freedom it gives for exploring from a base camp. I wonder what your thoughts are about the off road worthiness of the R Pod. It has been my experience that rarely are any tow behinds taken very far off road but get a base camp further from the pavement. I agree with the slide decision, full time travel normally keeps you in reasonable weather so an outdoor room may be a good choice over more inside space.

Reactions: Momo

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

I found the space in the R-pod 171 to be sufficient. We had the tent room stored in the pass through so we had to put more gear in the 4runner. I only set the tent room up once on our trip. The new model with the awning is much more useful. We definitely did some customization to the interior and made a custom solar setup. The 4runner (V6) towed the R-pod just fine had to down shift on some of the steep passes got down to 45mph that was with the R-pod totally maxed out weight wise. As for the off road capability of the R-pod 171 it has a standard ball hitch, pretty good ground clearance it has a wide track and its pretty tall. I wouldn't get to crazy with it.

INTERIOR
-Cut hole in dinning table bench and added divider for shoe storage.
-Replaced dinning table bench seat cushion with much better foam.
-Used two adjustable spring tension rods the long way in bathroom for more hanging surfaces (A squeegee is a must have for the wet bath).
-Installed double Ikea shelf above kitchen counter.
-Installed wire magazine rack in bedroom on the fridge side.
-Installed wire shelf in bedroom on the bathroom side going from bathroom wall toward the back of the R-pod.
-Donated the bed that came with the R-pod and bought a 6" memory foam mattress on Amazon.
-Install snap together drain tiles under mattress for air circulation.
-Beefed up the hardware for the collapsible hanging cloths rack (It fell off).
-Installed Ikea folding coat hooks under the entertainment center.
-Installed a mail box/key rack above the entertainment center.
-Installed a folding towel rack above the entertainment center on the very corner edge.
-Installed a 1000 watt inverter with a wall outlet on the right side of the kitchen sink cabinet.
-Installed a MPPT solar charge controller with digital readout in the pass through and the digital readout on the inside of the pass through door.
-Apple TV

EXTERIOR
-Removed the terrible stickers from the exterior shell.
-Sway/tow bars are a MUST!
-2 x 6v batteries wired in series
-2 x 100w Renogy solar panels

EXTERIOR RECOMMEDATIONS
-Mud flaps
-Dual propane bottle kit
-Custom under trailer spare tire mount (so receiver is free for other gear/toys)

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Rpod or Jayco hummingbird is on my list. The wife/daughter may be ok with a RTT maybe but for certain travel trailer or off road trailer they would be ok with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

jdxplor

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Prather, CA
Member #

Thank you for the detailed list of interior modifications - very helpful. I think the R-pod 171 will be quite workable, if everything is well organized. I have an Ikea catalog - a great source for ideas. Interesting about the decals - I've been researching the best methods for removal. I'm hoping it will be a fairly easy process on a new unit. Safety is important, so I will definitely add the weight distribution hitch and anti-sway. I'll be dry camping primarily (western U.S.), so two batteries and two propane tanks makes sense along with solar. Thanks again and enjoy your full-timing.

Reactions: Momo

philip teng

Rank III

Influencer II

I am looking at the RPOD 180 dry bath for wife, it's the only way to get her out so I can get out. A man's gotta do what a Man's gotta do and sometimes you just have to put your foot down. I am get a hood river edition where I am, has anyone do a lift and add 35 inch tires on it or at least some Rubicon take off tires and wheels. ? I want to create a base camp and take a tenet and refrigerator for possible overnight-er while out in the back country.

Momo

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Tumwater, WA
Member #

Thank you for the detailed list of interior modifications - very helpful. I think the R-pod 171 will be quite workable, if everything is well organized. I have an Ikea catalog - a great source for ideas. Interesting about the decals - I've been researching the best methods for removal. I'm hoping it will be a fairly easy process on a new unit. Safety is important, so I will definitely add the weight distribution hitch and anti-sway. I'll be dry camping primarily (western U.S.), so two batteries and two propane tanks makes sense along with solar. Thanks again and enjoy your full-timing.
I removed my decals on a warm day so I did not have to use a heat gun. Go slowly any residue left on the trailer use WD40 to remove then use alcohol to remove WD40 then wash your trailer with a RV/safe for fiberglass wash and wax product.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk